Potential GB: Happy birthday to the RNZAF

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks

Poll: RNZAF 80th Anniversary GB

I need an RNZAF modelling fix - sign me up
15 100%
Total number of voters: 15 ( SilverArrows, Flying_Kiwi, Andrew, Xtr3meNZer, Gary ) See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll
  • Craig Sargent
  • Craig Sargent's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 years 7 months ago #61 by Craig Sargent
Replied by Craig Sargent on topic Potential GB: Happy birthday to the RNZAF
Subject: RNZAF 80th Anniversary
Start Date: 1 Nov 2016
End Date: 1 Nov 2017

The Air Force act was passed on April 1, 1937 officially heralding the birth of the RNZAF from the remains of the NZPAF. To mark the 80th Anniversary nect year, this group build will cover any subject that was used by the RNZAF (including Army and Navy aviation in NZ), and will run for 1 year; 6 months either side of the anniversary date.

The build is open to any scale and any subject involved in the formation and history of the Royal New Zealand Air Force. If you are unsure, the definitive list can be found on Wikipedia, but will also be posted in a separate thread under the GB forum. Note, no what-ifs or aircraft in colours they wore prior to service. Must be in actual markings used while in service.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aircraft_o...yal_New_Zealand_Navy

As with other GBs, The model must be built in its entirety within the above dates and the build should be accompanied by a thread in this group build forum documenting regular progress.
Please post images of your kit and its contents (including proof of start date) at the beginning of your thread. Partially started kits that have not had much major assembly may be allowed at the discretion of the GB moderators. If in doubt, just ask.
There is not going to be a requirement for people to build different subjects. If it's on the list and you want to build it, then have at it.

By the end of the GB participants should post five pictures of the completed build in the GB completed builds thread.
There is no entry fee for the GB, but a donation for the upkeep of Kiwimodeller is welcome
The winner of the group build will be decided by popular vote, but there will also be a judged category at the Armistice in Cambridge in Nov 2017
Voting will run for the week following the 1st of November 2017, ending Midday the 8th of November 2017. A deadlock will be decided by a separate run-off vote.

Moderators: Craig Sargent (others TBA - volunteers?)

On The Bench
Hasegawa 1/48 OA-4M Skyhawk conversion
Hasegawa 1/48 A-4M Skyhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 7 months ago #62 by Grant
Replied by Grant on topic Potential GB: Happy birthday to the RNZAF

Craig Sargent wrote: Moderators: Craig Sargent (others TBA - volunteers?)

I'll help out if needed.

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 years 6 months ago #63 by Craig Sargent
Ok Grant. Welcome aboard. G1, make it so :)

On The Bench

More
3 years 6 months ago #64 by Gary
You're starting to sound like Picard as well................... ;)

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 years 1 month ago #65 by Craig Sargent
We had 15 people sign up for this, 5 have started and 2 of those have finished. Where is everyone else?! The 15 names that voted yes, in no particular order:

SilverArrows
Flying_Kiwi
Andrew
Xtr3meNZer
Gary
Nosferatu
Phil
grunzter
johnsnz
Powder
Woadism
Marcus.Q1000859
CyNaKyL
Grant
Craig Sargent

We're now almost half way though - be good to see some more builds here for this. How about it? It'll be another 10 years before the RNZAF has a significant anniversary again, so feel free to make the most of this one and jump in.

On The Bench

More
3 years 1 month ago - 2 years 7 months ago #66 by Powder
Replied by Powder on topic .
Last edit: 2 years 7 months ago by Powder.

More
3 years 1 month ago #67 by Xtr3meNZer
Replied by Xtr3meNZer on topic Potential GB: Happy birthday to the RNZAF
Lol, I had forgotten about this GB - But I did build a pair of Corsairs in the time frame from when it started.... If I haven't put them in there, I will enter again and put them in the completed thread, if there is one?

I notice at the beginning we all said we'd do a certain type, and I put my hand up for the Herc - but yeah, I don't have that kit, and I wouldn't be able to build it in the time frame anyways. Can I enter in my 72nd pair of Corsairs, both are RNZAF. Link to build thread here to prove it was done within the time frame.

Let me know thanks, I have completed pics at home I can post up

More
3 years 1 month ago #68 by Grant

Xtr3meNZer wrote:

My interpretation is that they don't really meet the rules stipulated above sorry Kane, even if they were built during the period. :dry: What do you think Craig?

More
3 years 1 month ago #69 by IAN
I'm planning to do a P-40M or N this year anyway, but won't commit to the GB simply because I don't want to be another DNF and because there's so many other bright and shiny things vying for my attention just now !!

Ian.

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 years 1 month ago #70 by Craig Sargent

Grant wrote:

Xtr3meNZer wrote:

My interpretation is that they don't really meet the rules stipulated above sorry Kane, even if they were built during the period. :dry: What do you think Craig?

Looking at the build threads, Kane, most of the construction was done in October, before the GB started. If it was only a little that would have been ok, but as Grant said, unfortunately the builds don't really comply with the rules. Plenty of time to do another :)

On The Bench

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 years 1 month ago #71 by Craig Sargent

IAN wrote: I'm planning to do a P-40M or N this year anyway, but won't commit to the GB simply because I don't want to be another DNF and because there's so many other bright and shiny things vying for my attention just now !!

Ian.

Go ahead and commit anyway. I think I have more DNFs under my belt than most here :)

On The Bench

More
3 years 1 month ago #72 by Gary
I'm with Ian, after the overall lack of interest in the Bomber Command GB and my own inability to get my own build over the line for one reason or another, I'm kind of dissolutioned with GB's (purely from a personal perspective, my KM admin side is fully supportive of what the rest of you guys do).

As Ian says there are plenty of shiny new toys on the bench and calling to me from the shelves and cupboards.
I would like to get something done, I'll start something, document it as I go, but I don't want to be held to finishing it. If it gets done in time then awesome, but I'm not going to put any pressure on myself to do so.
I hope that fits in with things, I would like to do something as I've never built anything remotely Kiwified but I feel I should.

I feel like I've lost a bit of my mojo which for me has never happened so I'm taking a bit of a back seat and just poodling along building whatever takes my fancy on that day.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
3 years 1 month ago #73 by IAN

Gary wrote: I'm with Ian, I feel like I've lost a bit of my mojo which for me has never happened so I'm taking a bit of a back seat and just poodling along building whatever takes my fancy on that day.

Yep, that sums-it-up. If what I'm interested in building fits with a GB, then so-be-it but I'm not going to buy a kit or even bother searching through the stash for a GB project because I simply won't have the motivation to do a good job or even complete it... Both the F-5 and the F-100 are projects I was always going to build this year, they just happened to fit-in with our Vietnam GB and the same over at Modellers Alliance.

Ian.

More
3 years 1 month ago - 2 years 8 months ago #74 by Powder
Replied by Powder on topic Potential GB: Happy birthday to the RNZAF
Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by Powder.

More
3 years 1 month ago #75 by Grant

Powder wrote:
WTF. According to this post you're adding paint & decals to a fully assembled kit as your GB entry:
www.kiwimodeller.com/index.php/forum/38-...sary?start=30#103540

Can we have some consistency in the rulings?

I have to agree. This doesn't meet the rules or the spirit of the GB

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #76 by Craig Sargent
It wasn't anywhere near the stage in the pic I posted in the other thread at the start of the GB. Prior to Christmas, this was a cockpit only. However, as I didn't post pics of the state of it at the start of the GB, I will withdraw the Skyhawk from the GB to keep everyone happy.

On The Bench
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by Craig Sargent. Reason: Grammar

More
3 years 1 month ago #77 by Gary
Lol busted, oh the pitfalls of messing with modellers :P :dry:
We're a cantankerous bunch :D

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 years 1 month ago #78 by Craig Sargent
Yup, fair suck of the sauce bottle.

I put the rules there for a reason, and while I did build the model in the timeframe of the GB, I DID fail to put pics up at the start and instead just carried on the previous thread, so technically against the rules. Got called on it, and not worth causing a ruckus over. Moving on.

I have nothing else now eligible except the 727, but that will not be done, as have other more pressing projects to complete. including the Golden Skyhawk and TAV-8B.

On The Bench

More
3 years 1 month ago - 2 years 7 months ago #79 by Powder
Replied by Powder on topic .
Last edit: 2 years 7 months ago by Powder.

More
3 years 1 month ago #80 by Gary
Don't be too hard on him, it's not like I managed to get my Lanc over the line either. :blush:

More
3 years 1 month ago #81 by Xtr3meNZer
Replied by Xtr3meNZer on topic Potential GB: Happy birthday to the RNZAF
Well my bad with the timing - I had actually completely forgotten about this GB - so my bad.

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary