Potential GB: Happy birthday to the RNZAF

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks

Poll: RNZAF 80th Anniversary GB

I need an RNZAF modelling fix - sign me up
15 100%
Total number of voters: 15 ( SilverArrows, Flying_Kiwi, Andrew, Xtr3meNZer, Gary ) See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll
  • Craig Sargent
  • Craig Sargent's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #1 by Craig Sargent
Potential GB: Happy birthday to the RNZAF was created by Craig Sargent
The Air Force act was passed on April 1, 1937 officially heralding the birth of the RNZAF from the remains of the NZPAF. 79 years young today (actually yesterday now, because I missed it by that much).

I think this anniversary REALLY needs a GB to mark the 80th. I'm thinking the GB should conclude on the 80th anniversary of 1 April 2017 and was thinking a 6 month GB, so from 1 Nov 2016 to 1 April 2017 with the subject being any aircraft flown in RNZAF/NZPAF/RAF(NZ) markings. I'd prefer not to include the aircraft flown by Kiwis that are not RNZAF or a NZ Squadron.

Thoughts.

On The Bench
Hasegawa 1/48 OA-4M Skyhawk conversion
Hasegawa 1/48 A-4M Skyhawk
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Craig Sargent.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 month ago #2 by Viperbuilder
Replied by Viperbuilder on topic Potential GB: Happy birthday to the RNZAF
It would be preferable to run an RNZAF build from just after the 2016 Armistice Show through to the 2017 show (Nov-Nov) and mount an RNZAF display at the 2017 show. I'd rather see the completed models in the flesh and support the Armistice show while I'm at it to ensure its success. There seems to be a good number of veterans that turn up to the Armistice Show each year who talk to the likes of myself and others about their days in the Air Force so it would be pretty good to give them something topical to look at.

As you say, keep it to aircraft operated by the RNZAF.

On the bench:
Airfix 1-48 Tiger Moth

More
4 years 1 month ago #3 by Grant
Replied by Grant on topic Potential GB: Happy birthday to the RNZAF
I'd be keen for this Craig. Sounds like a great build idea. :)

More
4 years 1 month ago #4 by Gary
If it's Nov to Nov even I'd be up for this, I've not built anything Kiwi before so would need a hand. So no aircraft flown by Kiwi's in the RAF? won't that limit the number of Spitfires, Lancaster's etc?
Did the RNZAF operate out of mainland Europe or was it just the Pacific nations?

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
4 years 1 month ago #5 by Nosferatu
Replied by Nosferatu on topic Potential GB: Happy birthday to the RNZAF

Gary wrote: If it's Nov to Nov even I'd be up for this, I've not built anything Kiwi before so would need a hand. So no aircraft flown by Kiwi's in the RAF? won't that limit the number of Spitfires, Lancaster's etc?
Did the RNZAF operate out of mainland Europe or was it just the Pacific nations?

Good Question G1..Some Clarification on that would be cool...

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most"

More
4 years 1 month ago #6 by Powder
Replied by Powder on topic Potential GB: Happy birthday to the RNZAF

Gary wrote: So no aircraft flown by Kiwi's in the RAF? won't that limit the number of Spitfires, Lancaster's etc?

When Craig said RAF(NZ) squadrons are allowed I take that to mean 75 Sq. & 485 thru 490Sq.'s are all allowed - plenty of Spitfire & Lancaster options among that lot.

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #7 by CyNaKyL
Replied by CyNaKyL on topic Potential GB: Happy birthday to the RNZAF
I would have to see what I've got that I could do, the only one I can think of off the top of my head is the tamiya 1/32 f4u-1a but I would need to get kiwi decals for it. I will see what else I have but I might be keen.

I'll leave it up to Craig to confirm this (since it was his idea for this GB) but here is a list of current and former RNZAF squadrons. The article XV (485 etc) squadrons Craig can make a call on since technically they were RAF squadrons even though they had mainly kiwi aircrews...

In Soviet Russia, Iron Curtain GB builds you!

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by CyNaKyL.

More
4 years 1 month ago #8 by Xtr3meNZer
Replied by Xtr3meNZer on topic Potential GB: Happy birthday to the RNZAF
Yup, I'm in. Got a few ideas already of what I would build, so keen as :)

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
4 years 1 month ago #9 by Craig Sargent
Replied by Craig Sargent on topic Potential GB: Happy birthday to the RNZAF
I'm happy to make it 1 Nov 2016 to Armistice 2017 as suggested if that suits everyone, but I'd also look at April 1 for a prize draw, given that is the date of the main event. Also to spread the subjects across a more diverse list of entries, I'd be keen to see different subjects per entry i.e. first person to stump up with a Skyhawk does it, first person to volunteer a Tempest, etc. Be good to get as many different types as possible. Having said that, a single seat A-4 and a TA-4 would be viable as 2 different entries.

Happy to allow part started in the interest of getting a good selection on the table at Armistice, but as long as they aren't too far along.

I already know what 2 I would do, so keen to see what else we can get people to do. I would put my hand up for a 1/48 CT-4 Airtrainer and a 1/72 P-3 Orion.

As Powder said, the (NZ) RAF Squadrons (75, 485 - 490) offer plenty of opportunity for Spitfire (I, II, V, IX), Tempest, Wellington, Hampden, Lancaster, Beaufighter, Stirling, Hurricane, Typhoon, Lincoln, Ventura, Hudson, Mosquito, Buffalo, Beaufort, Blenheim, Catalina, Sunderland.

The Pacific Squadrons obviously add in Corsair, P-40, Dauntless, Avenger, etc

Pretty good listing of options here. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aircraft_o...yal_New_Zealand_Navy

On The Bench

More
4 years 1 month ago #10 by johnsnz
Replied by johnsnz on topic Potential GB: Happy birthday to the RNZAF
Sounds good I'm in and personally I'm easy with the dates.

With a Corsair and 485 Sqn Spitfire XVIe

Cheers
John

More
4 years 1 month ago #11 by grunzter
Replied by grunzter on topic Potential GB: Happy birthday to the RNZAF
with that time frame id be keen... :)

More
4 years 1 month ago #12 by Nosferatu
Yup...I reakon I could be in...UH-1 Huey for me.... Or NH-90....Or Seasprite.......When is the Kittyhawk "G" due for release?

More
4 years 1 month ago #13 by Powder
I'd be keen to do an Airspeed Oxford and/or a Brewster Buffalo - both are already in the stash ready to start... but if someone else has a strong desire to build these then I wouldn't take too much persuasion to go shopping for something else ;)

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
4 years 1 month ago #14 by Andrew
Replied by Andrew on topic Potential GB: Happy birthday to the RNZAF
I could be in for this one. Most likely a P-40 or a Sunderland

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

More
4 years 1 month ago #15 by Grant
Replied by Grant on topic Potential GB: Happy birthday to the RNZAF

Craig Sargent wrote: Also to spread the subjects across a more diverse list of entries, I'd be keen to see different subjects per entry i.e. first person to stump up with a Skyhawk does it, first person to volunteer a Tempest, etc. Be good to get as many different types as possible. Having said that, a single seat A-4 and a TA-4 would be viable as 2 different entries.

If you are going to do it this way, I'd like to build the A-4. I want to do a good version in 1/32. :whistle:

More
4 years 1 month ago #16 by Hadley
Replied by Hadley on topic Potential GB: Happy birthday to the RNZAF

Nosferatu wrote: Yup...I reakon I could be in...UH-1 Huey for me.... Or NH-90....Or Seasprite.......When is the Kittyhawk "G" due for release?

I've had my one preordered from BNA since last year...apparently issues with shipping from suppliers has held it up....

In the build:
2x Possum Bourne Subaru rally cars DONE
2x Lynx AH-7's DONE
KA-50 Hokum
AH-1W Cobra
AH-6J Little bird

More
4 years 1 month ago #17 by Xtr3meNZer
I'll put my hand up for the Herc please :) Will only be 1/72 scale due to sheer size of it.

More
4 years 1 month ago #18 by Woadism
Replied by Woadism on topic Potential GB: Happy birthday to the RNZAF
To clear things up for me,, is the suggested rule that if someone's already said they're building a Skyhawk, then nobody else can enter with a Skyhawk? If that's the case, I'm out already because my two options are a 1/32nd Skyhawk or a 1/48th Herc.

More
4 years 1 month ago #19 by Xtr3meNZer
Personally, I can do other models. Was just thinking of doing a Herc one day anyway, and thought this would suit. If we're able to go for the WWII aircraft, I'd be all ok for that also :)

More
4 years 1 month ago #20 by johnsnz
Replied by johnsnz on topic Potential GB: Happy birthday to the RNZAF
Based on what Craig had said in the posts above. It would be ideal if the GB could incorporate as many types flown by the RNZAF as possible.

Cheers
John

More
4 years 1 month ago #21 by Woadism
Replied by Woadism on topic Potential GB: Happy birthday to the RNZAF

Xtr3meNZer wrote: Personally, I can do other models. Was just thinking of doing a Herc one day anyway, and thought this would suit. If we're able to go for the WWII aircraft, I'd be all ok for that also :)

Further to my last - I could also do a 1/32nd Avenger.

More
4 years 1 month ago #22 by Powder
Craig's link above has a huge list of options - many I wasn't aware of - should be plenty to go round.
Interesting ones would be the captured Aichi & Nakajima flown by RNZAF - anyone with info on markings?

More
4 years 1 month ago #23 by Phil

Woadism wrote: To clear things up for me,, is the suggested rule that if someone's already said they're building a Skyhawk, then nobody else can enter with a Skyhawk? If that's the case, I'm out already because my two options are a 1/32nd Skyhawk or a 1/48th Herc.

I don't believe that is the case?

I would be planning on also doing one of my many Skyhawk models. Or the 1/48 Huey, pending the mythical G model Seasprite release.

More
4 years 1 month ago #24 by Daneby
Replied by Daneby on topic Potential GB: Happy birthday to the RNZAF
what about setting the dates to start earlier and finish for the AirShow at Ohakea on the 24-26 Feb and if anyone is going to the Airshow we could see if we could get a display there for the RNZAF Models GB
Just a thought

Daneby

More
4 years 1 month ago #25 by Gary
Or you could just drag ur ass from the Nakki to Cambridge and see them there :P

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
4 years 1 month ago #26 by Craig Sargent
Replied by Craig Sargent on topic Potential GB: Happy birthday to the RNZAF
Ideally we don't want a bunch of Skyhawks, Spitfires and Iroquois, which seems to be what we tend to revert to. Prefer to try and spread it across a good range of subjects. I am more than happy for everyone to discuss and decide on builds - if there are multiple modellers wanting to build the same subject, then sure you can resolve amongst yourselves, but as mentioned would prefer to spread the subjects. I guess we could look at different camo schemes and model vs family jets, if we had a few people all wanting to build Skyhawks, but would be a case of having something unique from anything anyone has already put down to build. As I said open to discussion, but key date is April 1, 2017 for any prizes I can sort, and aiming for on the table at Armistice for competition special category.

If you want to be in a prize draw, then April 1 will be the deadline, but will run the GB until Armistice in Nov 2017.

On The Bench
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary, johnsnz, Xtr3meNZer

More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #27 by Powder
Just my two cents - but I really like the idea of everyone doing something different.

Group Builds, for me, are mostly about making something I wouldn't normally have made.
If someone had said to me 6 months ago that I was about to build an Iraqi T-72, Czech MiG-17, Plymouth Superbird and a Mk3 Dalek I definitely wouldn't have believed them.
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Powder.

More
4 years 1 month ago #28 by Viperbuilder
Replied by Viperbuilder on topic Potential GB: Happy birthday to the RNZAF

Craig Sargent wrote: Ideally we don't want a bunch of Skyhawks, Spitfires and Iroquois, which seems to be what we tend to revert to. Prefer to try and spread it across a good range of subjects. I am more than happy for everyone to discuss and decide on builds - if there are multiple modellers wanting to build the same subject, then sure you can resolve amongst yourselves, but as mentioned would prefer to spread the subjects. I guess we could look at different camo schemes and model vs family jets, if we had a few people all wanting to build Skyhawks, but would be a case of having something unique from anything anyone has already put down to build. As I said open to discussion, but key date is April 1, 2017 for any prizes I can sort, and aiming for on the table at Armistice for competition special category.

If you want to be in a prize draw, then April 1 will be the deadline, but will run the GB until Armistice in Nov 2017.

One of my observations of the whole GB thing is that none of them have a significant number of finished kits. The numbers are always small and there are so many of them going on at once, spreading the builders and the builds. A good number of wannabe modellers don't get across line come the the deadline, yourself and myself included. :unsure:

It follows that there will be a good number of modellers nominating various aircraft types that they would like to model at the expense of others who might want to model the same aircraft type, scale, kit manufacturer etc. It is also likely a number of those models won't get finished.

The idea of everyone making a different model has merit in a disciplined world but not on this forum I don't think. (I stand to be proven wrong of course) For example, I build purely for enjoyment these days so to stay motivated with my build I'll stick to something I want to build rather than something I don't necessarily want to build at a particular time. If I was to enter into this GB I wouldn't make up my mind on subject matter until the beginning of the GB. If someone else had decided to build what I wanted to build beforehand then I wouldn't necessarily be deterred from building my favoured aircraft type and scale. Already on the F-14 GB other modellers are building the same make, scale and colour scheme of my chosen subjects but that's fine by me.

Just throwing this out there for consideration and discussion.

Building for an organised and themed club display where there are as many different RNZAF types for the display and in scale with each other is something different again....

On the bench:
Airfix 1-48 Tiger Moth

More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #29 by grunzter
Replied by grunzter on topic Potential GB: Happy birthday to the RNZAF
...maybe time for the 1/72 Boeing 727-100... :)

Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by grunzter.

More
4 years 1 month ago #30 by Nosferatu
I'm afraid this getting too complicated for me at the moment.. so I'm withdrawing my interest for now...I am having enough trouble getting to the bench as it is..so the Helo's I mentioned are open for others..I will be watching and may jump in closer to the time if I can..

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary