Group build proposal: Heavy and strategic bombers

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks

Poll: Heavies GB

Yes, I'm keen
11 100%
Total number of voters: 11 ( Marcus.Q1000859, CyNaKyL, grover, rwkennard, Flying_Kiwi ) See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll
  • CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
More
4 years 4 months ago #31 by CyNaKyL
Replied by CyNaKyL on topic Group build proposal: Heavies

grover wrote: I like the 4 or more engines idea, but I think it should be all periods. Being a small community, the more choice we have, the more people will get involved. I would be in with a B-1B build. 4 Engines rules out my Tu-22 though :whistle:

I was thinking the same thing regarding the Tu22. I kinda don't have any other heavies that aren't half built (TU160, B1B, B2A and B52H). FK's list makes sense (plus it means the Backfire counts!) but I'll go with what ever the general consensus is. We could do 2 parts of the GB and have a WW2 and earlier section (with it's own contraints on what counts as a heavy) and then a post ww2 section (again with it's own contraints). What does everyone think of that?

In Soviet Russia, Iron Curtain GB builds you!

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 4 months ago #32 by Xtr3meNZer
Replied by Xtr3meNZer on topic Group build proposal: Heavies
Well, I know I'll be building a WWII bomber... so whatever GB suits me! :P I'll let you guys fight it out :evil:

More
4 years 4 months ago #33 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Group build proposal: Heavies
Nah wouldn't be interested myself in entering one with jets, and to be fair there would be no point in having two, if you want to run with the original idea that's ok.
We've had several GBs where people can build Jets etc but we've not had anything for WWII Multies, I'll bide my time or just build something off my own back. :D

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
4 years 4 months ago #34 by Xtr3meNZer
Replied by Xtr3meNZer on topic Group build proposal: Heavies
You could make it a Prop vs Jet heavy or something along those lines...?

More
4 years 4 months ago #35 by Gary
WWII Allied heavies is a passion of mine and it's something I've been wanting to do for a long long time and I have a plan so will wait until there isn't another GB that covers the same subject.
It's not me sulking or spitting the dummy, I have a plan and I want to do it my way with no interference from other builds :D

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
4 years 4 months ago #36 by Powder
Replied by Powder on topic Group build proposal: Heavies
Can we include Spanish Civil War?

Attachments:

• Marcus.Q1000859
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
4 years 4 months ago #37 by Marcus.Q1000859
Replied by Marcus.Q1000859 on topic Group build proposal: Heavies
Would you consider modifying to 3 or more engines?
It would pick up the Ju 252 and all those Italian heavy bombers

I started building models, then I was collecting more than I built. Now I'm more of an archivist.

More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #38 by Powder
Replied by Powder on topic Group build proposal: Heavies
Gary originally said minimum 4 engines then in a later post he said only 2 req'd - hence my Ju-52 suggestion.
Gary, was the 2 engine requirement in your post #29 a typo?
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Powder.

More
4 years 4 months ago #39 by Gary
Taken from en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_bomber (no I didn't write it :P )

After World War II, the name strategic bomber came into use, for aircraft that could carry aircraft ordnances over long distances behind enemy lines.

So you might want to change the title to Heavies and Strategic so as not to confuse people who want to include jets ;)

More
4 years 4 months ago #40 by Gary

Powder wrote: Gary originally said minimum 4 engines then in a later post he said only 2 req'd - hence my Ju-52 suggestion.
Gary, was the 2 engine requirement in your post #29 a typo?

Sorry I've confused things here, just ignore everything I've said so far, I want to do a true WWII "Heavies" and "Mediums" Prop only group build which would include all multi engined aircraft that had purpose built bomb bays and or racks.
I will post a new thread in the near future once I've finalised a few things.

• Grant
  • Grant's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
4 years 4 months ago #41 by Grant
Okay, slight change to the title. This seems a pretty encompassing way of framing the subject matter. Realistically most of us will build prototypical things like Lancasters, B-17s and B-52s and there doesn't seem to be much to gain by trying to define the terms to account for the oddball choices. :P The earlier list from the Wikipedia page looks like a good starting point anyway. Decisions on borderline cases could be made on an ad hoc basis.

There seems a reasonable amount of interest for this, so any suggestions for date/duration? :)

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary