Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • Andrew
  • Andrew's Avatar Topic Author
  • Serial kit starter...
More
4 years 6 months ago #1 by Andrew
My Group Build planned kits was created by Andrew
Wow, so many GBs to participate in :woohoo:

Had to sit down and draught up a plan so I can work a budget for the next few months to secure the kits and bits I need

This is what I've sorted for myself

Sci-Fi GB - Wave 1/12 Starship Troopers Powered Suit - Purchased and awaiting a start.

WWI GB - Meng 1/35 A7V - To be purchased

Tomcat GB - 1/48 Hobbyboss F-14B - To be purchased + Secondary build 1/72 Hasegawa F-14A - Partially started 10+ years ago

Behind the Iron Curtain GB - Tamiya T-55 - To be purchased

Operation Desert Storm GB - Tamiya M1A1 Abrams - To be purchased

Helo GB - Trumpeter 1/35 Mi-24V Hind - To be purchased

NASCAR GB - 1/25 AMT/ERTL "QVC" Thunderbird - To be purchased

Better go look what I can auction off on Trademe :lol: I'm not sure how many, if any Santa will bring :whistle:

What is on the shopping list for you guys for the various GBs?

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 6 months ago #2 by Nosferatu
Replied by Nosferatu on topic My Group Build planned kits
I am going to try and build only from the stash

WWI- Meng A7V (Snap Andrew!)
Nascar- Monogram 1/24 City Chevrolet- Cole Tickle
ODS- 1/35 AFV CLUB M109A2 or 1/72 Italeri SR-71
Tomcat- 1/48 Academy F-14A with some A/M and Possibly Launch Dio

I may Jump in on the Helo build later on depending on how I get on..

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most"

More
4 years 6 months ago #3 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic My Group Build planned kits
I'm looking to get an Iwata-Medea Hi-Line HP-AH airbrush, I want to see what all the fuss is about with the newer Iwata's and thought that would be a good starting point.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #4 by 1/35th Battalion
Replied by 1/35th Battalion on topic My Group Build planned kits
Sci_Fi/Fantasy - Going Mad Maxish with a mash-up, kit-bash, scratch-build. Starting with Revell 1/24 Kits: GMC pickup with snow plow AND '70 Chevelle StreetBurner 3 'n 1

WWI - AC Models: 75mm Mini -Dio "Boiling the Billy" To purchase . . .

AND IF an Open "Built to Race" GB gets up - either of Tamiya 1/24 Benz or Opel DTM kits . . . in the stash

David

On the Bench:
Tamiya 1/24 Alfa Romeo 155 V6 TI (1993 DTM) - "Built to Race" GB
Revell 1/24 '77 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 - getting the "Mad-Maxed" treatment - moving to the "Diorama" GB

Don't let someone dim your light simply because it's shinning in their eyes !
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by 1/35th Battalion.

More
4 years 6 months ago #5 by Glenn
Replied by Glenn on topic My Group Build planned kits
WW1 A7V

Starwars 1/72 x wing

Models from the stash,will add nascar if the group build kicks off :cheer:
Attachments:

• KitModellerNZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
4 years 6 months ago #6 by KitModellerNZ
Replied by KitModellerNZ on topic My Group Build planned kits
F-14 GB = Hobby Boss 1/48 F-14A – ready to go

Dessert Storm GB = 1st option = Tamiya 1/32 F-15C, 2nd option = Hasegawa 1/48 F-15C – need to make a decision and purchase one or the other.

More
4 years 6 months ago #7 by PJNZ
Replied by PJNZ on topic My Group Build planned kits

Gary wrote: I'm looking to get an Iwata-Medea Hi-Line HP-AH airbrush, I want to see what all the fuss is about with the newer Iwata's and thought that would be a good starting point.

Gary, your Infinity with .15 setup will outperform this brush IMO.

More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #8 by Hadley
Replied by Hadley on topic My Group Build planned kits
Wow andrew, good luck finding that Mi24 B) I'll warn you they ain't cheap :(

I have a kit I think I'll build for the Heli GB, then got an idea for the iron curtain GB, plus a possibility for the desert storm GB too

In the build:
2x Possum Bourne Subaru rally cars DONE
2x Lynx AH-7's DONE
KA-50 Hokum
AH-1W Cobra
AH-6J Little bird
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Hadley.

More
4 years 6 months ago #9 by Gary

PJNZ wrote:

Gary wrote: I'm looking to get an Iwata-Medea Hi-Line HP-AH airbrush, I want to see what all the fuss is about with the newer Iwata's and thought that would be a good starting point.

My Sotar 20/20 outperforms the H&S which I just can't seem to get to run right any more.
I've only heard good things about the new Hi-Line, wish I could go somewhere local to try one out and compare different ones.
I have to find something she can buy me as a Christmas present and thought this would fit the bill but maybe I could look at a different one.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #10 by Craig Sargent
Replied by Craig Sargent on topic My Group Build planned kits
Most GBs I try to fill from the stash, but it sometimes get problematic in the amount of work done to a large part of the stash. I tend to purchase aftermarket to fit whatever I'm building, but also temper that with GB timeframes.

4 GBs for me so far. Sure that won't end tragically. My record is 3 completions (not all by deadline :woohoo: ) out of 6 GBs, so by law of averages, I should get at least 2 builds done for these 4. :oops:

Sci-Fi and Fantasy GB - Bandai 1/72 Resistance X-Wing on the way from Japan
Desert Storm GB - Hasegawa 1/72 Jaguar from the stash, but will need some aftermarket help - an order inbound from ModelImex and one from Hannants for this (wheels, pitot, decals, stores, cockpit)
F-14 Tomcat GB - Hasegawa 1/72 F-14 from the stash and to keep it realistic, this one will be purely OOB. Must resist the temptation...
Helicopter GB - Hasegawa 1/48 SeaKing from the stash. Already has Eduard set in the box and Eduard masks, and don't plan to add anymore to the mix for this. Decals from the kit also.

On The Bench
Hasegawa 1/48 OA-4M Skyhawk conversion
Hasegawa 1/48 A-4M Skyhawk
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Craig Sargent.

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #11 by Andrew
Replied by Andrew on topic My Group Build planned kits

Hadley wrote: Wow andrew, good luck finding that Mi24 B) I'll warn you they ain't cheap :(

Came to a decision between the Hind, and the Academy 1/48 CH-53E. I've managed to find a Hind for around $150ish, just need to save up. The cheapest CH-53E was a similar price. Prefer to wrok in 1/35. I'm still holding hope that Trumpeter will make a 1/35 CH-53E :lol:

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Andrew.

More
4 years 6 months ago #12 by Nosferatu

Andrew wrote:

Hadley wrote: Wow andrew, good luck finding that Mi24 B) I'll warn you they ain't cheap :(

Came to a decision between the Hind, and the Academy 1/48 CH-53E. I've managed to find a Hind for around $150ish, just need to save up. The cheapest CH-53E was a similar price. Prefer to wrok in 1/35. I'm still holding hope that Trumpeter will make a 1/35 CH-53E :lol:

Where did you see the Ch-53E for $150?? Cheapest I saw was $220+....

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #13 by Andrew

Nosferatu wrote:

Andrew wrote:

Came to a decision between the Hind, and the Academy 1/48 CH-53E. I've managed to find a Hind for around $150ish, just need to save up. The cheapest CH-53E was a similar price. Prefer to work in 1/35. I'm still holding hope that Trumpeter will make a 1/35 CH-53E :lol:

Here

Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Andrew.

• Webby_NZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Trying to work more on completion over perfection.
More
4 years 6 months ago #14 by Webby_NZ
Replied by Webby_NZ on topic My Group Build planned kits
I have ordered myself to only build from the stash for the GB's

I have not odered myself to pad out the stash before, during or after selecting said kits :-)

Stand aside caffine, this is a job for alcohol.
Remember to subscribe at www.plamo.nz for latest news, updates and sales. Use KM5 for 5% off your purchase.
Don't forget to mention you found the site via KM so I can give back to the site.

More
4 years 6 months ago #15 by Nosferatu
Ohhhhhhh.... But I just this minute won an ebay Auction..... for an AT-AT! :woohoo:

More
4 years 6 months ago #16 by Hadley

Andrew wrote:

Nosferatu wrote:

Andrew wrote:

Came to a decision between the Hind, and the Academy 1/48 CH-53E. I've managed to find a Hind for around $150ish, just need to save up. The cheapest CH-53E was a similar price. Prefer to work in 1/35. I'm still holding hope that Trumpeter will make a 1/35 CH-53E :lol:

Here

They were only around $90 months back, I should've bought one...

In the build:
2x Lynx AH-7's DONE
KA-50 Hokum
AH-1W Cobra
AH-6J Little bird

More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #17 by Phil
Replied by Phil on topic My Group Build planned kits

Not sure that you will find the AH particularly suitable for modelling. It only has a .2mm needle and a tiny paint cup. More suitable for inks than hobby paint. You are likely to have issues with clogging due to pigment size and the tiny paint cup (not really even a cup, more just a hole in the top of the airbrush body) will be pretty limiting.

Much better to get the HP-CH for modelling, or save a bit of money and get the HP-C+ and a cheap MAC valve/quick disconnect for the air hose.

ETA - after reading the other posts, not sure why, if you have an infinity, that you would need one of these?
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Phil.

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
More
4 years 6 months ago #18 by CyNaKyL
Replied by CyNaKyL on topic My Group Build planned kits
I'll have to check the price sticker on my CH53E I got from Hobby city when they were on Quay st but I'm pretty sure it was sub $100. Makes me glad I got it when I did seeing how much they are now. $150 for the HInd is a good price, I've been wanting one for ages but have never seen them for a reasonable price.

In Soviet Russia, Iron Curtain GB builds you!

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....

More
4 years 6 months ago #19 by PJNZ
Replied by PJNZ on topic My Group Build planned kits

Gary wrote:

PJNZ wrote:

My Sotar 20/20 outperforms the H&S which I just can't seem to get to run right any more.
I've only heard good things about the new Hi-Line, wish I could go somewhere local to try one out and compare different ones.
I have to find something she can buy me as a Christmas present and thought this would fit the bill but maybe I could look at a different one.

Is your H&S an Infinity or Evolution. Either way they should oerform pretty well but if an Inifinity then the .15 setup will be as fine as anyone would ever need for modelling. As Phil mentioned very fine nozzles are designed for very fine detail and can only cope with very fine, easy flow mediums. So acrylics are a potentially troiblesome medium beocs
1. pigment particles can be relatively large
2. quick drying can result in a lot of clogging in fine apertures
3. If thinned heavily enough to flow reasonably well they lose a lot of opacity

Extra fine nozzles need
1. VERY finely ground pigmented paint OR inks
2. regular flushing out and regular removal of tip dry
3. super fussy cleaning after every use

I wonder if your Infinity nozzle, aircap, internal areas have a build up of paint, crud, fibres from paper towel etc. that are affecting peformance?

There's no doubt that Iwata HP's are all very good performers. Personally I think the HighLine series (with MAC valve) is an unecessary expense if you have an air regulator on your compressor or can just add an inline mac valve.
The Plus series is best value IMO. The HP-C+ is best all rounder from fine to medium again IMO. For extra fine work Iwata offers the Custom Micron range for silly money.
Biggest downfall of Iwata HP series is expense of replacing parts particularly the nozzle (approx $70NZ and secondly the needle $30NZ) which are the parts most needing replacment.

As mentioned to Glenn recently, of all the extra fine high periformance airbvrushes on the market, for value for money I would choose the MOJO III - a Paasche Talon that has been highly tuned by Mike Learn of USA ($199USD plus shipping). Extraordinary fine detail capabilities and IMO outperforms the $1300 Iwata Custom Microns.
With that all said....your .15 Infinity is more than capable of seriously fine work when running well.

My 2 cents worth...

Incidentally Glenn is interested to come over some time to try a couple different brushes (including HP-CH) so you welcome to join us if helpful. We could give your Infinity a comprehensive strip and clean out too and see if it works better.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Glenn

More
4 years 6 months ago #20 by Xtr3meNZer
Replied by Xtr3meNZer on topic My Group Build planned kits
Well, I plan on building in these group builds at the moment... I have plenty to build in the next year, so hopefully I can join in on most of them :)

F-14 GB - F-14A Hasegawa, 1/48 - Will be in Jolly Rodgers theme (SWMBO loves skulls :P )
Sci-Fi build - Mad max car, base kit at this stage is looking to be 1/24 - '55 Chevy Street Machine (Thanks Rick :) )
Star Wars GB - AT-ST Bandai kit
Racing GB - At this stage it's a "Swift Model" 1/24 F-1 vehicle (This was given to me, a very old kit, so will see what I can do with it) - This could be changed later on if I find a better car :P
Helicopter GB - Either 1/72 or 1/48 Huey - Still to be 100% decided on the theme - Could be Orange Roughy that went to Antartica, or one that has seen action - Or both!! I have both sizes in the stash...
Desert Storm GB - Unsure if I will go ahead - but I have a 1/700 '91 Missouri in the stash - Might get some PE for that and give it a go
WWI GB - Unsure if I will join in at this stage... but I'm sure after I have done some building I might get something, but unsure of what yet...

I think that's all of them... so will see what we can do!!

More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #21 by Gary
Thanks for the offer Paul, I just can't work out what's wrong with my Evolution, I've always had to crank up the air pressure on this one from the day I got it. I've stripped it all down to base components, run it through the ultrasonic cleaner, reassembled it added Teflon to the threads etc already, this makes a bit of difference but it still doesn't run well. I've tried inks thinned acrylics etc and I just can't say I'm that impressed with it.
I'm going to give it another strip down and try some different fittings etc, it cost enough that I don't want to give up on it just yet.
Oh and my Group Builds I'm on are

Sci-Fi and Fantasy - Mech Dio
Star Wars - Unsure what to build yet
Desert Storm - Probably an M1 as I have the Trumpeter 5 in 1 kit (no I don't care how inaccurate the kit might be).
F-14 - Trumpeter F-14 Bombcat (no I don't care how inaccurate the kit might be).
WWI - Sopwith Snipe
Racing - Tamiya Williams F1 or my Revell Porshe GTR

I also want to build one of my 1/48 Lancaster's and finish off some of the other things I've got on the go in the coming year.

Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Gary.

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
4 years 6 months ago #22 by Andrew
Another to add to the list :whistle:

Built to Race GB - Looking at combining the Tamiya 1/24 Evo 5 WRC and Tamiya 1/24 Evo 6 road car to make a Superlap/WTA racer. Will most likely add front canards, carbon fibre decal and a GT wing. Might modify the exhaust too

• Michaels Models
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
4 years 6 months ago #23 by Michaels Models
Replied by Michaels Models on topic My Group Build planned kits
At this stage I will do 50% from the stash and the other 50% will need to be purchased.

Nascar - Got a AMT #17 Dewalt Tauris. May move away from the stock kit a little bit and do a brass chassis, but not 100% yet.
WW1 - Have to get a kit and leaning towards a wing nut's kit. Even though I am not a plane person I love the look of WW1 planes and the quality of the kits make them very appealing.
Helicopter - Have to get a kit and once again I know stuff all about things that fly. Did a google and live the look of a Revell Mil Mi-24V Hind E 1:72
Built to Race - Will be a kit from the stash but with about 40 kits to pick from I need to give it some thought :unsure:

Michael

Cheers Michael

File Attachment:

More
4 years 6 months ago #24 by jackielinz
Replied by jackielinz on topic My Group Build planned kits
Si-Fi Group Build:
1) 1/72 Hasegawa Macross Zero - Completed
2) 1/32 Pegasus Hobbies - Terminator 2 Aerial HK Hunter

F-14 Group Build:
1/48 Hobbyboss F-14A Tomcat

Star Wars Group Build:
1) 1/48 TIE Fighter Advanced X1 - Completed
2) 1/48 Snowspeeder

Helicopter Group Build:
1/48 Italeri Ospray

More
4 years 6 months ago #25 by Viperbuilder
Replied by Viperbuilder on topic My Group Build planned kits
I'll resist entering too many GBs. For me its:

Helicopter GB
Hasegawa 1-48 Seaking HAR Mk.3

F-14 GB
Hasegawa 1-72 F-14A VF-84
Fine Molds 1-72 F-14D VF-31

I'll keep an eye on the Racing Car GB and if there is time I'd like to enter this one too.

On the bench:
Airfix 1-48 Tiger Moth

More
4 years 6 months ago #26 by Hadley

Andrew wrote: Another to add to the list :whistle:

Built to Race GB - Looking at combining the Tamiya 1/24 Evo 5 WRC and Tamiya 1/24 Evo 6 road car to make a Superlap/WTA racer. Will most likely add front canards, carbon fibre decal and a GT wing. Might modify the exhaust too

Looking forward to see what you do here

In the build:
2x Lynx AH-7's DONE
KA-50 Hokum
AH-1W Cobra
AH-6J Little bird

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #27 by grover
Replied by grover on topic My Group Build planned kits
Cripes, haven't had much time to think about these except for the Tomcat build, but here's the plans so far. These may change.

Tomcat GB
Hasegawa Tomcat Egg Plane. Hope to get done before xmas.
Hasegawa F-14 B/D 1:48 Low Vis

Star Wars GB
Bandai Y Wing

Helicopter GB
Hobby Boss KA-27 Helix

Sci-Fi & Fantasy GB
Hasegawa Vanship 1:72

Behind the Iron Curtain GB
TBD, maybe the TU-22 I have. Maybe I can get the new Mig 31???? :woohoo:

Built to race GB
Tamiya 300SL maybe.....

Desert Storm GB
TBD

Kane
On the Bench - Tamiya 1:48 F-117
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by grover.

More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #28 by Grant
Replied by Grant on topic My Group Build planned kits
Okay, catching up on things. I plan to build these:

World War 1 GB
Wingnut Wings 1/32 Junkers J.1

Tomcat GB
Italeri 1/48 F-14A

Star Wars GB
Bandai 1/12 Biker Scout diorama

Helicopter GB
1/48 Hasegawa Apache

Sci-Fi & Fantasy GB
War of The Worlds diorama

Behind the Iron Curtain GB
1/32 Trumpeter MiG-29M

Desert Storm GB
1/32 Revell Tornado

Which one do I start first. :unsure:
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Grant.

• Michaels Models
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
4 years 6 months ago #29 by Michaels Models

Michaels Models wrote: At this stage I will do 50% from the stash and the other 50% will need to be purchased.

Nascar - Got a AMT #17 Dewalt Tauris. May move away from the stock kit a little bit and do a brass chassis, but not 100% yet.
WW1 - Have to get a kit and leaning towards a wing nut's kit. Even though I am not a plane person I love the look of WW1 planes and the quality of the kits make them very appealing.
Helicopter - Have to get a kit and once again I know stuff all about things that fly. Did a google and live the look of a Revell Mil Mi-24V Hind E 1:72
Built to Race - Will be a kit from the stash but with about 40 kits to pick from I need to give it some thought :unsure:

Michael

Really going to bite off way more then I can chew but I think I will add the Sci-Fi & Fantasy GB to the list.

Really need to get my modeling spaces all sorted so I make a start.

Michael

Cheers Michael

File Attachment:

• Michaels Models
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
4 years 6 months ago #30 by Michaels Models
Time to get organised, it is going to be a busy 12 months lol

Now just need to build faster then 1 or 2 a year :S

Michael

Cheers Michael

File Attachment:
Attachments:

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary