• Page:

TOPIC: Group Builds

Group Builds 3 years 1 week ago #1

• Gary
  • Gary's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 875
As you should be able to see we now have a nice scrolling banner advertising the Group Builds. I'm trying to make the Group Builds a bigger part of the site than it currently is. I think we get a lot of interest in this and what we are building which in turn generates more foot traffic. I think that having lots of different subjects/builds to choose from will involve more people overall.
I think a good way forward on deciding topics and such would be to use steps like this.
  • Someone suggests a subject/theme
  • We create a poll for people to vote on whether they would get involved in this. Only vote Yes if you are actually considering entering, Vote No if you are not interested etc
  • If the Poll reaches say 6 (or maybe 10) positives it gets the Green Light
  • A new forum is created for the Group Build
  • Each Group build requires, 2 Admins/Champions, who will go forth and promote the GB and administer it through to it's final stages.
  • A set of rules, these could be copied from another GB and modified accordingly.
  • Some dates, (start/end).
I do realise that not every build is for everyone but that's why I think having multiple consecutive builds of multiple subjects gives everyone something to do and encourages others to join in. There's no pressure to join every build and if the timelines don't work for you then that's OK there's always something else going on.

Previously we've tried to time the GB's so that we don't have too much going on at the same time, but I think now that we have more members it's a good way of keeping people interested in the site and more importantly the hobby. At the end of the day if we don't get enough people to make up the numbers for a build it gets shelved, maybe for another day, maybe not.

Personally I'd rather have too much to do than not enough to keep me interested.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
RAF Liberator Squadrons
Last Edit: by Gary.

Group Builds 3 years 1 week ago #2

• Nosferatu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 475
I also like Grovers Idea of a "Group Build Calender" So we can keep track.

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most"

Group Builds 3 years 1 week ago #3

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
We have one, hover your mouse over KM Events on the top menu and you should see the drop down, first item on the menu is Group Builds ;)
Click on a date to see the current SW Build now go forward until you get to the middle of January and you'll see a black + on a date, click this and you'll see that it shows all the current builds for that date.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
RAF Liberator Squadrons

Group Builds 2 years 11 months ago #4

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Just a quick post here, we have had 2 Group Build finish and a number of ideas have been put forward, can I get some ownership for these (and it doesn't have to be the same people ;) )
I just want a poll in each topic to show interest, if you vote yes you are expected (as much as you can) to participate and not to just say yeah then go nah ;) ,
A potential start/end date(s)
A couple of people who can moderate etc.
We've got some good ideas and at present that's all they are................. :D
Thanks
G1
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1/35th Battalion

RAF Liberator Squadrons

Group Builds 2 years 11 months ago #5

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 225
Am happy to be a party overseeing either Automotive (Nascar?Racecar) GB, and/or the World War One concept along with whomever takes a hold of either of those.
Gary, can we set up and run Polls on both those so we have ideas of numbers etc? It seemed that when both the Nascar or Racecar and the WWI GB's were mooted that good interest had been expressed. Lets get these motivated . . .

Am in the process of gathering kits for my entry in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy GB which has already kicked off . . .

David

On the Bench:
Tamiya 1/24 Alfa Romeo 155 V6 TI (1993 DTM) - "Built to Race" GB
Revell 1/24 '77 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 - getting the "Mad-Maxed" treatment - moving to the "Diorama" GB

Don't let someone dim your light simply because it's shinning in their eyes !
Last Edit: by 1/35th Battalion.

Group Builds 2 years 11 months ago #6

• Hadley
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 114
How do we add a poll?
Only see lots of lil pictures on my iPad

In the build:
2x Possum Bourne Subaru rally cars
On hold:
1/48 KA50 Hokum
1/72 Bell 412

Group Builds 2 years 11 months ago #7

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
You can only enter a poll on the first post, so you have to go back and edit the first post in the thread and add it there. It's the one that looks like a bar graph.

RAF Liberator Squadrons

Group Builds 2 years 11 months ago #8

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
  • Thank you received: 416
I'll put my hand up as a mod for the VTOL/Helo GB and the "Behind the Iron Curtain" one if they go ahead...

In Soviet Russia, Iron Curtain GB builds you!

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....

Group Builds 2 years 11 months ago #9

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

CyNaKyL wrote: I'll put my hand up as a mod for the VTOL/Helo GB and the "Behind the Iron Curtain" one if they go ahead...

Be aware that, as the mootee for the Helo GB, Hadley has noted that he would like to be a Moderator for the "Rotary Wing/Helo" GB. :whistle: ;) Just Sayin' :lol:

On the Bench:
Revell 1/24 '77 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 - getting the "Mad-Maxed" treatment - moving to the "Diorama" GB

Group Builds 2 years 11 months ago #10

• IAN
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 419
Two mods work really well on any GB, I wouldn't like taking sole responsibility for running one.

Ian.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1/35th Battalion

Group Builds 2 years 11 months ago #11

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Agreed Ian. It seems that that is what Gary would like to see from here on out too. I know that in the past LIFE has gotten in the way for some that were running GB's and those not exactly tipped over, but were certainly left rudderless for a time. :P
Makes sense to me to have two mods for each GB.
What are others thoughts on this? . . .

On the Bench:

Group Builds 2 years 11 months ago #12

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Yeah I think 2 mods just in case something were to happen to one of them (my basement isn't totally filled with models you know ;) )
While we're on it, I think that it might be best if we just have one option on the poll, that way we can see who said they would be keen, then we can pin them down and torture them if they don't start. With more than one option it's hard to see who voted which way.
Just my 2 cents

RAF Liberator Squadrons

Group Builds 2 years 11 months ago #13

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter

1/35th Battalion wrote:

CyNaKyL wrote: I'll put my hand up as a mod for the VTOL/Helo GB and the "Behind the Iron Curtain" one if they go ahead...

Be aware that, as the mootee for the Helo GB, Hadley has noted that he would like to be a Moderator for the "Rotary Wing/Helo" GB. :whistle: ;) Just Sayin' :lol:

Completely agree. Since we were wanting 2 mods for each gb then me and Hadlee could do the helo one, and VD and I could do the Iron Curtain one... Unless anyone else really wants to...

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....

Group Builds 2 years 11 months ago #14

• Von Drinkoften
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 496

CyNaKyL wrote:

1/35th Battalion wrote:

Completely agree. Since we were wanting 2 mods for each gb then me and Hadlee could do the helo one, and VD and I could do the Iron Curtain one... Unless anyone else really wants to...

I'm cool with that mate once the start & finish dates are sorted. :woohoo:

Group Builds 2 years 11 months ago #15

• Hadley
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 114
Viperbuilder has also put his hand up for the Heli GB, we can either run 2 or 3 mods, doesn't worry me
Or u and VD could just do the Iron GB build, question though, would MIL and Kamov heli's qualify for the Iron GB?

In the build:
2x Possum Bourne Subaru rally cars
On hold:
1/48 KA50 Hokum
1/72 Bell 412

Group Builds 2 years 11 months ago #16

• IAN
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 419
Back to what Gaz said about the poll - a simple 'Yes' button is all that's needed.

Von D It's you and G2 who need to set the start/finish dates it's usually part of your responsibility as moderators for the build. Just have a look at the others that have been diaried and work-in a logical date.

Andrew, can you and Hadley get together and re-post the 'rules'n regs' for the Gulf War GB please, not certain if everybody got to see them at the beginning of the thread. Need to confirm the start/finish dates too. I'll go back and check the F-14 GB R'n R's aswell.

Ian.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary

Last Edit: by IAN.

Group Builds 2 years 11 months ago #17

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
  • Thank you received: 591
Ian, I drafted up some blurbs last night for a few of the GBs and posted them for G1 in the admin thread group

G1, have you seen these?

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

Group Builds 2 years 11 months ago #18

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Yes, I've already updated the GB's thanks for doing that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrew

RAF Liberator Squadrons

Group Builds 2 years 11 months ago #19

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
G1, when you get a chance can you create a sub folder under GB's for the "Behind the Iron Curtain" GB. I think Von Drinkoften had a decent pic we could use for it. Start date is now until November 9th. Can you also give VonD and myself mod privs for the GB subthreads. Once it's up I'll jump on with the rules etc.
Thanks mate!

• Page:
Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary