Future KM Group Builds

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
More
6 years 5 months ago #31 by Viperbuilder
Replied by Viperbuilder on topic Future KM Group Builds
Well, I think if Shep Paine joined in with an online build that would make the Group Build a roaring success and a good investment. Think of all the people who would tune in to KM to watch that happen....and If he said to all those watchers register now for KM and I'll talk to you about my techniques then hundreds would register. You just need to how to turnaround perceived adversity into something that will work for you. If the Group Builds attracted wizzy modellers from afar we would have to capitilse on that and let all and sundry know who was participating.

I think with the clubs, if at first you don't succeed, try and try again. Rome wasn't built in a day. It would be better if we used the word of mouth approach with individual club members rather than through club secretaries or presidents. If you have a club sec or pres who is not interested personally, what hope do you have. A different approach may bring different results.

KM is an online club for a hobby. People frequent it because they have an interest but will always be limited by the time they have to spend here. On top of that KM competes with other established online forums. Does the KM index have thread heading for the club scene around the country and what is happening within the clubs?
Do the clubs have newsletters that say what is happening on KM? KM needs to be in the news headings for all the different clubs to keeps its name out there.

I don't think anyone gets offended by honesty. If we get a few more people driving then others will follow. That's how a team works. You are the glue that's keeping this all together Gary, just keep hanging in there and believing.

On the bench:
Airfix 1-48 Tiger Moth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 years 5 months ago #32 by 1/35th Battalion
Replied by 1/35th Battalion on topic Future KM Group Builds
Crikey, some fabulous interaction going on here. Love it!! Valid points from all corners.
An issue I have noted is general lack of participation by the general membership in the first instance. There are currently 425 members, (Awesome growth in the last year)
Of that number there are around 20 regular contributors to threads, group builds and general interaction with fellow members. Any ideas on how to up that participation in this KM club?
And I think having a Club Thread may be a good idea. Getting buy-in may be a different kettle of fish. As Secretary of Manawatu's small club I'd be happy to contribute to that, even though we don't do a newsletter or anything particularly active with our mere 22 members, there is still news as such. As many of us seem to get around the country from time to time it would be handy to tap into any local club that you may be passing and catch up so to speak.

David

On the Bench:
Tamiya 1/24 Alfa Romeo 155 V6 TI (1993 DTM) - "Built to Race" GB
Revell 1/24 '77 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 - getting the "Mad-Maxed" treatment - moving to the "Diorama" GB

Don't let someone dim your light simply because it's shinning in their eyes !

More
6 years 5 months ago #33 by Viperbuilder
Replied by Viperbuilder on topic Future KM Group Builds
Has KM ever surveyed its 425 members to find out why they registered with KM and what they like & dislike about the site. How many of them read the forum. What do they look for when reading the forum. If membership has risen noticeably in the last year what has attracted that. What would the "silent majority" like to see on the forum and elsewhere on the site. Do they build models; if so what are their modelling interests (subject matter). What would it take to get them to post Pix and text about their own builds?

I can't give you the answers to these questions. That must come from your members. How you act on that information will determine how far KM progresses in the future.

When I look at the number of views on Paul Edwards' Lotus 49 build I wonder how many other threads have attracted that many views. Is it because there are lots of car modellers out there or is it the universal quality of the build and educational text that goes with it that is attracting the views? I think you know the answer to that one. If it takes the latter to generate that much interest in a thread you know what you have to target in the future and search out people who can generate that many views. Shep Paine where are you?

To be honest, I don't know what happens in the Manawatu club scene David. Years ago when I came up from Wellington to listen in on a club night, and later at the IPMS Nationals, the club was strong in car modellers. Later it was aircraft. Then it seemed to disappear off the radar after a personality clash and the last I heard it was surviving informally by members meeting at one another's houses. I don't know how accurate all that is but the perception is that it is a club that went into recession and is slowly coming together again. I am pleased to hear that there is group in the Manawatu sharing their interest in an organised manner. Perhaps you could fill us in on recent history there? What are the demographics and interests?

Cheers
Steve

On the bench:
Airfix 1-48 Tiger Moth

• Andrew
  • Andrew's Avatar Topic Author
  • Serial kit starter...
More
6 years 5 months ago #34 by Andrew
Replied by Andrew on topic Future KM Group Builds
I don't think it is that unfair restricted entrants to GBs somewhat, especially the pay to play GBs.

I've noticed on Armorama's DMOM (Model of the Month) it is always the same group of people that enter, and always the same guys that seem to win. I used to actively post there, but have been more of a lurker in the past couple of years, and most of the DMOM members I have never seen post any builds in threads, or even comment on other peoples builds.

I feel that isn't quite the sort of member we want here. We want someone who is willing to share and contribute to our community.

Also, how do we get the smaller clubs to participate? We try to actively promote the KM site the best we can (several members mention KM when they list trademe items) but currently it is Gary that bankrolls the site (with smaller contributions from others) We can't expect him to pay for external advertising to get members to join. I think at the moment, word of mouth is the best form of advertising, so we need the guys that actively post here who are members of local clubs to ask or mention to others about joining up.

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #35 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Future KM Group Builds
OK Shep Paine was a bad example but I hope you get the jist of what I'm trying to say. Open Group builds not a problem anyone can play but if you pay then yes its like the VIP part of any club, there's rules.
We have individual members from most of the clubs so that's not the problem.
I think a newsletter is a good idea, I've even got a system installed here that will let me deliver the newsletter to our members. Its time, confidence in my authoring skills and content that has stopped me in the past. I have asked on numerous occasions for volunteers for these things but it's only been recently that things have really started to move in the right direction. I'm not sure what the catalyst has been but the forums seem more busy these days and membership is growing slowly. The site has been going for almost 3 years but knowledge of it is still lacking within New Zealand let alone further afield. I know a few of you regularly post on other forums and that some of you even use the KM signature that is available. Maybe more of our members could adopt the use of it?
To be honest I think there are more members of the smaller clubs in New Zealand than there are of the larger clubs, I'm more than happy to target those clubs to begin with. I have in the past offered free hosting on the IPMSNZ.com or .co.nz domains that I own. Waikato and Manawatu clubs already have a presence there and the offer is open to anyone else who is part of a local club and wants a small piece of the net for their club.
Just send me a PM for more info.
One of my New Year resolutions is going to be to introduce newsletters so I need content people, there is also a fully working system to create proper build logs for anyone wanting to write their own blog articles, again just shout for more info.
I think the interest in Paul's Lotus is 85% based on his build quality and the content of his posts than an actual interest in motorsports. Don't get me wrong I love motorsports and my first memory of building a kit with my Dad was a large F1 that had hoses and all sorts, it was a present I'd been bought and he and my uncle built it one evening for me................ (a bit like the ZX80 kit set I saved up for and that got built while I was asleep grrrr).

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by Gary.

More
6 years 5 months ago #36 by Taylor
Replied by Taylor on topic Future KM Group Builds
David - You've made a valid point about wanting to know what other clubs are up to and where they are and where they hang out. As club secretary for the Waikato club (we met at last years Armistice show) I was at the AGM meeting for the IPMS Nationals in Auckland in September. The Auckland club is trying to instigate a sort of IPMS NZ (actual title still to be negotiated due to copyright issues) related forum or website in order to log all operating clubs up and down the country providing details of where and when they meet as well as any events/shows they are attending. I understand that there has previously been a related site for this but it fell apart.
Whilst many ideas where floating around at the meeting with regard to who would be part of it and how it would be organised, I have had no further information relating to the subject since the IPMS Nationals. My gut feeling that KM might be a good platform to launch such a thing since we do have many of the key players from local clubs on here. There's a pointer Gary!!!

More
6 years 5 months ago #37 by olive drab
Replied by olive drab on topic Future KM Group Builds
Its important to recognise the amount of effort Gary put in here and for the Cambridge display which was disappointing in terms of what was there and the number of people who put in group builds on this site. Leaving it open to the Shep Paines of the world as with Cambridge can be seen from different viewpoints;
One is they have entered Im just throwing away my money for an entry money so why bother?
Secondly I accept I have to raise my game to compete but if those who judge dont like my style there needs to be some judging peformance or criteria to justify the result.
Thirdly And ive said this before a syetem that encourages the individual to gain in terms of their own skills, yes Ive said this before but why is an IPMs system seen as the only way? I still struggle with how does a model gain a place when it is the wrong colour or look like its just gone through a car wash? Ready to be shot down but thrilled to see people trying to get the hobby in a better place. ;)

More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #38 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Future KM Group Builds
Awwww thanks Mark, but I really couldn't do it without the support of our loyal user base which is growing slowly but surely. :D
As it happens I've actually got a Medal & Awards system that I'm building now, it will have a wall of medals that have been earned and I'm hoping it will have an individual area so that people can show of their collections of awards and commendations.
I agree in principle with what you are saying Mark but until someone else takes over the judging in it's entirety I don't have the time. Steve helped out a lot with the running of the competitions and he should get some public thanks for that.
I think for next year I'm going to start planning the actual competitions a bit earlier, as you know the whole thing was basically organised in a couple of months and the layout was done the day before the show so it was pretty intense. Sorry I didn't mean to hijack this thread and I'll create a new one soon :)

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by Gary.

More
6 years 5 months ago #39 by Flying_Kiwi
Replied by Flying_Kiwi on topic Future KM Group Builds
Guys i'd be up for either !!

World War I - Have DH-2 and Fokker DR-1 waiting for this!!!
Ostfront - WWII - Smells like a 2nd IL2 or maybe even a PE2....or Polikarpov
Kiwi Legends - F-27 that is a kiwi legend! or A nice Spitfire??
Sci-Fi - Have an A-Wing in the wings....
Helicopters - Yep Huey, Seasprite Souix

Whack em up.... always up for a purpose build! and fully happy to support Kiwi Modeler with the contribution!

Most pilots last words are "Watch this"

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • No time to spare..too busy!!!
More
6 years 4 months ago #40 by Kiwimav
Replied by Kiwimav on topic Future KM Group Builds
how about these ones too?

Auto Racing GB "Tribute" to those we have lost or had to retire due to injury eg. Denny Hulme, Possum Bourne, Ayrton Senna, Chris Amon, Colin McRae, Michael Schumacher, Aaron Slight, Jason Richards, Dale Earnhardt Snr, Dario Franchetti to name but a few. Should be open to all forms of Auto Racing.

also

The "ACE'S", a tribute GB to those who were or are the best of the best in combat.
Encompassing land, sea and air. The top guns and superior tacticians.

just food for thought.

d2

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.

• Webby_NZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Trying to work more on completion over perfection.
More
6 years 4 months ago #41 by Webby_NZ
Replied by Webby_NZ on topic Future KM Group Builds

Kiwimav wrote: Auto Racing GB "Tribute" to those we have lost or had to retire due to injury eg. Denny Hulme, Possum Bourne, Ayrton Senna, Chris Amon, Colin McRae, Michael Schumacher, Aaron Slight, Jason Richards, Dale Earnhardt Snr, Dario Franchetti to name but a few. Should be open to all forms of Auto Racing.

Im hoping Schumi does not end up in that category, last reports i read were that he is not 'critical' but is still in an enduced coma while he heals and we wait to see the extent of the injuries, hopefully more Richard Hammond than Chrisopher Reeve.

Stand aside caffine, this is a job for alcohol.
Remember to subscribe at www.plamo.nz for latest news, updates and sales. Use KM5 for 5% off your purchase.
Don't forget to mention you found the site via KM so I can give back to the site.

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • No time to spare..too busy!!!
More
6 years 4 months ago #42 by Kiwimav
Replied by Kiwimav on topic Future KM Group Builds
Agreed 100%, but I have a feeling the man will not be behind the wheel of a race car in competition after this

d2

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary