What's the next group build??

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
More
2 years 6 months ago #151 by KerryM
Replied by KerryM on topic What's the next group build??

Craig Sargent wrote: Cold War would be if more interest than Inter war

Otherwise we will just do our own Cold War build

My order of preference would be
1) Cold War
2) Shelf Queens
3) InterWar

On the workbench:

One hell of a mess

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 6 months ago #152 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic What's the next group build??
We've already done Behind the Iron Curtain which captures a heap of Cold War stuff, then there was the Early Jets so again that captured a heap of the Cold War jets.
Step out of your comfort zones and do something different I say.

There's no reason why you can't do two GB's but you'll have to moderate it if you put your hand up.

I'm putting my hand up for an inter war GB and I'll also get it included as a Category at AiC next year. To me it sums up the futility of war, how we don't learn from our past mistakes etc. Call it Presidential authority :P

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
2 years 6 months ago #153 by Glenn
Replied by Glenn on topic What's the next group build??

Gary wrote: We've already done Behind the Iron Curtain which captures a heap of Cold War stuff, then there was the Early Jets so again that captured a heap of the Cold War jets.
Step out of your comfort zones and do something different I say.

There's no reason why you can't do two GB's but you'll have to moderate it if you put your hand up.

I'm putting my hand up for an inter war GB and I'll also get it included as a Category at AiC next year. To me it sums up the futility of war, how we don't learn from our past mistakes etc. Call it Presidential authority :P

So anything from 1918 to 1939?

More
2 years 6 months ago #154 by Gary
Yes that's the general idea but I might extend it to 1941 for US stuff.
Will do some thinking and bandy the idea around here a bit more first to make it for more people.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
2 years 6 months ago #155 by Nosferatu
Replied by Nosferatu on topic What's the next group build??
Can it have been active in WWI AND afterwards Or only between? Im thinking Naval in particular here...

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most"

• shaunfletcher
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
2 years 6 months ago #156 by shaunfletcher
Replied by shaunfletcher on topic What's the next group build??
Logically it would have to be anything in service inter-war I guess? But in inter-war paint/details if appropriate? Just my take though.

More
2 years 6 months ago #157 by Gary
What Shaun says sounds good, I'll add it to my plan.

More
2 years 6 months ago #158 by yak
Replied by yak on topic What's the next group build??
I'll be sporadic on here for the next few months and when i am i'm going to be trying to complete the challenge i set myself of building something for each of the AiC categories. One being a chopper so i'd be keen on the Hadlicopter challenge and i'd have something in the stash to build for any of these ideas so will join in where i can.

Rob

No model left behind even if it screams all the way to the display shelf!

Currently hacking away at:
1/24 Custom Nissan D21 Navara
1/24 Tamiya Mazda RX-7 S4
1/25 Revell Datsun 720 Kingcab Rebuild
1/24 Hasegawa Mitsubishi Galant GTO MR race car

More
2 years 6 months ago #159 by KerryM
Well I can be sporadic depending on assignments but if someone else wanted to help I would look at running a "shelf queen" group finish (more appropriate than build?)

Run 1st Jan 2018 through 30th June to give incentive to get something finished?

On the workbench:

One hell of a mess
The following user(s) said Thank You: Glenn

More
2 years 6 months ago #160 by Terry
Replied by Terry on topic What's the next group build??
While I'm all in favour of GB's that get people out of their comfort zones, (for me that would be build an aircraft or a tank!) ideally for me it would mean not buying any further kits above what I currently own to participate. To summarise the GB's currently being talked about and where I fit in:
Helicopter GB - I have no helicopter kits (not really my thing anyway)
WW1 - I don't have any WW1 kits of any description (again not really my thing)
Interwar - no kits again
Cold war - I possibly have one kit that qualifies and thats a F-14A Tomcat (VF-41 Black Aces bird), and tbh by the time I finish my 1/32 Tomcat, I'd rather not look at another F-14 for quite a while. So no kits again.
Shelf Queen - I have one kit to make. a F-117A I never quite completed for the Desert Storm GB, and I agree with Kerry's comment that a compressed timeline as an incentive to finish is a good idea, except in my case... I've been yearning to build something new ootb for half a year or more, but have stubbornly stuck to my 1/32 F-14 knitting in a bid to finish it, for fear of putting it down leading to one outcome... shelf queen group build 2027 :lol:

...and despite all this my wife calls my stash "the shop". Clearly not the Warehouse :blush:

More
2 years 6 months ago #161 by Gary
Far enough, looks like I'm trying to flog a dead horse so to speak.
I've got plenty of things I want to build over the next 12 months anyway so I'll just let you decide what you want to do and let you get on with it.
Let me know if you need anything, like new forums etc.
Can we close any of the current/expired GB's? I can then move them to the archive section.

More
2 years 6 months ago #162 by KerryM
I'd look at doing an interwar GB as well, possibly at the same time or from June 2018 - June 2019?

While we're collecting GB ideas for the future what about "First Aid"? (rescue choppers, ambulance apc's, ambulances, medics, hospital ships)

On the workbench:

One hell of a mess

More
2 years 6 months ago #163 by Terry

Gary wrote: Far enough, looks like I'm trying to flog a dead horse so to speak.

Don't let my(?) naysay put you off G. I think you have a general concensus of agreement for the interwar idea. My post was more a casual observation that multiple broad topic suggestions had been made and yet in nearly every case I was found wanting for topic material. Not a criticism, more just a poke the borax at myself! :pinch:

I did miss one other suggestion for a GB and that was the Animal GB. In this instance I could build afv, aircraft or car.

More
2 years 6 months ago #164 by KerryM
Would anyone be keen on a "let's all build the same kit" group build one day?

Keep it easy with a simple 1/72 aircraft or vehicle. Any scheme or markings it ever wore. No after market but scratch built details allowed

Dave at Mighty Ape could do everyone taking part a deal

On the workbench:

One hell of a mess

• Webby_NZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Trying to work more on completion over perfection.
More
2 years 6 months ago #165 by Webby_NZ
Replied by Webby_NZ on topic What's the next group build??
How many participants do we need for a GB? im guessing double digits would be good.
Is there a way of throwing up all the options and letting people vote on as many as they would participate in and ten taking say 1 and 4 for 8 months and then 2 and 3 for the 8 months after that?

Stand aside caffine, this is a job for alcohol.
Remember to subscribe at www.plamo.nz for latest news, updates and sales. Use KM5 for 5% off your purchase.
Don't forget to mention you found the site via KM so I can give back to the site.

More
2 years 6 months ago #166 by Terry

KerryM wrote: Would anyone be keen on a "let's all build the same kit" group build one day?

Keep it easy with a simple 1/72 aircraft or vehicle. Any scheme or markings it ever wore. No after market but scratch built details allowed

Dave at Mighty Ape could do everyone taking part a deal

Could be a go. Subject would need to be universally popular, and if it was open to a choice of tank or aircraft participation might be higher.

On a similar theme, how about a two or three week group build? Build whatever you like but only in two to three weeks? Anyone feel like slamming a model out before Christmas?! :lol:

More
2 years 6 months ago #167 by KerryM
We need to get all the ideas into a list

I like the voting on it idea

A 3 week build would terrify me. My M113 at almost a year was a new fast build record for me

On the workbench:

One hell of a mess

• shaunfletcher
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
2 years 6 months ago #168 by shaunfletcher
Replied by shaunfletcher on topic What's the next group build??
I'd do a 3 week one even if it was a stupid jet ;)

I'm still all in for the inter-war, would help run that one after christmas if we want it.

More
2 years 6 months ago #169 by Gary
Nah I honestly don't mind, I have a lot of projects I want to get done in the next 12 months and I shouldn't really let myself get distracted with GBs to be honest.
But be warned I am very keen on having an interwar category at AiC it all depends on the uptake, I'll be getting the categories out early next year or maybe even this year for AiC.
Stay tuned.

More
2 years 6 months ago #170 by Dave-MA
Replied by Dave-MA on topic What's the next group build??
I'm on a no new kits/miniature purchases halt till end of 2018 myself (aside from a chopper) so I will try to participate if I have something suitable in the stash. Shelf Queen I've got a couple of candidates for.

• Webby_NZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Trying to work more on completion over perfection.
More
2 years 6 months ago #171 by Webby_NZ
Replied by Webby_NZ on topic What's the next group build??

Dave-MA wrote: I'm on a no new kits/miniature purchases halt till end of 2018 myself (aside from a chopper) so I will try to participate if I have something suitable in the stash. Shelf Queen I've got a couple of candidates for.

Thats what we all say, until someone, not naming names but you work for them, go and have a sale :P

Stand aside caffine, this is a job for alcohol.
Remember to subscribe at www.plamo.nz for latest news, updates and sales. Use KM5 for 5% off your purchase.
Don't forget to mention you found the site via KM so I can give back to the site.

More
2 years 6 months ago #172 by Fooesboy
Replied by Fooesboy on topic What's the next group build??
I would like to see a shelf queen group build too.
The other idea I have is for a KM 1000.
Kits with 1000 parts with 1000 days to complete.
Or aftermarket madness... open to any kit where you have spent more on the am than the kit it's self.

More
2 years 6 months ago #173 by gibbs
Replied by gibbs on topic What's the next group build??
I like the idea of the shelf queen build but that may be because I've got so many unfinished builds.

I'm hoping to get more built next year I've just got to avoid another knock to the head and slicing my hand open like I did this year.

My little corner of the internet
File Attachment:

More
2 years 6 months ago #174 by Hadley
Replied by Hadley on topic What's the next group build??
40+ comments to read through since my last visit lol, so to respond to a few comments

Thanks for the suggestion for another helicopter build but I wasnt suggesting so, just suggested some (ie: tiger) to give it a go

I am well aware that a heli GB would encourage more awesome heli builds for nats.
To be honest I have no problem with that, as I am a long way away from being at that stage and know I wouldnt have a chance.

I only build as I enjoy doing so, I fly helicopters in real life hence my interest in building them.
So for those few who seem to get joy over ripping into my modelling flaws every chance they get, keep your comments to yourself, this should be a positive community encourging new members, not pissing off members who arent at your level.
Sure, I'd like to improve in time but when I've made suggestions that I think would really help other members (including myself) no one's really shown any interest

As for GB ideas, my GB suggestion's are as follows (names can change but you get the idea) All cover a large genre so hopefully everyone can think of something
Concept/one off's: something that very few (or 1) were ever made, like say 5 or less were built, or something that was only a concept ie: Ford GT90
Across the ditch build: Something you would find in Aussie ie: Aussie F18, road train, v8 supercar, etc. (I had thought Aussie military but thought that choice was too small)
Emergency build: Police, Ambulance, Fire, anything we consider as part of emergency services, ie: Kane is a fire fighter so could build a fire engine
Moviestars: something that was in a movie, simple, ie: thunderbirds, tank from Fury, eleanor from Gone in 60 seconds, F14 from top gun
Kiwi build: any NZ subject, ready for our AiC 2018, ie: kiwi police car, NH90, Air NZ plane

In the build:
2x Possum Bourne Subaru rally cars DONE
2x Lynx AH-7's DONE
KA-50 Hokum
AH-1W Cobra
AH-6J Little bird

More
2 years 6 months ago #175 by Nosferatu
Replied by Nosferatu on topic What's the next group build??
I'm still building a helicopter this coming year;) Its one of my missions for 2018. So I be looking to you for inspiration and advice Hadley!

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most"

More
2 years 6 months ago #176 by Hadley
Replied by Hadley on topic What's the next group build??

Nosferatu wrote: I'm still building a helicopter this coming year;) Its one of my missions for 2018. So I be looking to you for inspiration and advice Hadley!

Happy to help where I can dude :-)

In the build:
2x Possum Bourne Subaru rally cars DONE
2x Lynx AH-7's DONE
KA-50 Hokum
AH-1W Cobra
AH-6J Little bird

• Michaels Models
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
2 years 6 months ago #177 by Michaels Models
Replied by Michaels Models on topic What's the next group build??
I could go for a Helicopter GB and/or a in Inter-war.

Some other thoughts, more generic ideas to help capture more builders.

Land of the rising sun
Civilian vehicles
From Russia with love
I love (insert a model brand name)
Made in Britain
Since 2000 or Beyond 2000... who remembers that show
Half track
Red, White & blue... USA
Out of the box

Cheers Michael

File Attachment:

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary