Cheers for that. Another one I'm keen to get done before years end as part of the BSK is this old Monogram 1/48 Tiffy. It's got 1969 embossed on the outside... yep outside of the wing... of course that's going to get sanded off. Anyway it fits like a dream... wow... it's not the original 1969 issue but part of a Monogram classics reissue programme from the 1970's, 80's, 90's??? Anyway you get a cool embroided badge to sew on your camp blanket or something, someone in the IPMS Auckland had another kit from the series with a badge too, but I don't recall seeing any others apart from these. My current approach is to start about half a dozen things at once and try and paint various modules or smaller bits en-masse to avoid having to mix-up paints and clean out the airbrush more times than necessary... I'm putting all the bits in a divider box with labels on so hopefully nothing gets mixed up with the wrong wheels, or exhausts and I unintentionally creat a series of what might ofs. Plan is to do this as Desmond Scott's Steed... appropriate as he was brought up riding horses and uses the horse analogy in his book. Haven't got any 1/48 DJS letters so I'll put a request out once I'm at the painting stage.
Nice choice of Monogram, Pete.
But what's it doing in this forum?!
I have two, one has the '1969' stamp. But no patch. Built it way back when and picked up one for the nostalgia.
As is my habit, the preliminary 'styrene-sniffing' turned into full-blown Kitbash-itis. I completely revamped the u/c wells, with drilled ali sheet, stock strip, wire, stretched sprue and card walls!
A coat of silver paint put a nice finish.
But I seriously recommend some Ultracast exhausts, at the very least. You'd probably add their seat, too, while you're at it.
That's what I'm planning. Late-style tail surfaces are another option but I don't think necessary.
Interested to see hoe you go.
There are two types of aircraft: fighters and targets
On the bench:
Esci A-1H, I.D. Models 1/72 Andover vac, Hasegawa 1/72 F-15D
thanks for your comments. I've been sidetracked with some other models but since my last entry the airframe has been totally glued together and cleaned up. I drilled out the exhausts with a .70 drill and put some brass rod into the cannon housings. I might put a 1/48 pilot figure to fill up the somewhat forlorne cockpit, or else try and retrofit some seatbelts... I started making them as indicated in the Flory Model website from scratch and they look pretty cool. Here's version I in a the airfix Bf109 cockpit, I'll do improved versions with an adjuster and lap belts if I do them in the typhoon.
Started working on the Typhoon after a break from this model. Clean-up took very little time due to the great fit. Drilled out the exhaust manifolds, and put little brass tubes on the end of the gun barrel shrouds. Painted silver overall and dabbed on vegemite with a pot scrubber to create areas where the paint would not adhere. Sprayed the stripes and washed off the margarine masked areas to get the distressed effect.
Yes the NMF is for further weathering. First time I've used this technique although I've heard a lot about it. I think I've gone a bit severe on it, so next time I'll take the less is more approach. I've also found that the top colours don't key onto the silver as well as a matt white or grey that I usually use as a primer. My usual routine is to rub between dried coats with a micromesh cloth to ensure a smooth finish and what I find is the silver comes through a little so I have to do an extra coat. Next time I think I'll use the NMF just in the places I'm going to weather like leading edges, walkways etc. More pix to follow. I'm about to mask off the camo on the top surfaces.
I've finished painting and masking the undersides and have the grey on the top now with some postshading to break up the even-ness. I've been doing this kit on and off with the Natter, Dornier 17Z and now the RAF rescue launch so the progress may seem a little slow. I drilled the exhausts out and they do look much better, I stopped short of reworking more things simply because there are other kits out now that have some of the refinements this one hasn't. I looked at a mate's Hasegawa car door typhoon and I do think the Monogram one looks nicer around the front nose area shapewise using the old eyeometer, if someone has done the old plan comparison and knows which is better that would be interesting. Anyway will post a picture of my masking process shortly.
Here is the camouflage applied. I have coated with future in preparation for decals. I am missing squadron code letters and the pennant for Desmond Scott's aircraft DJS. I'm not sure whether his aircraft had a 3 blade or 4 blade prop either.