Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me
Welcome to the Kiwi Modeller forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hi From Christchurch

Hi From Christchurch 6 months 2 weeks ago #1

• Stinker
  • Stinker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
Hi All

Get comfy for a long first post – I promise to keep them brief in future.

I’ve been lurking on here for a week or 2 and decided to join up as I like what I see. So, a bit about me – I’m a long time modeller but a recent returnee to plastic kits. I started building kits as a young’in in the early 70’s, the typical airfix stuff that lots of us built then, I also dabbled in wargaming, then over time moved on to control line planes, then RC cars, then RC boats, then RC planes, although I always remained interested in plastic kits and put one together every now and then. The kits I built after I got into RC were an eclectic assortment of scales and subjects – from 1/12 scale motorbikes to 1/700 scale ships. Around 10 years ago I decided I wanted to get back into kit building more seriously and I started buying the occasional kit and creating the stash, working toward the collection I wanted. I wanted to get away from the eclectic range of scales and so on, so I decided on a narrow focus of subjects and scales and made a list of exactly what I wanted, which I would stick to in order to avoid randomly buying the latest shiny thing that caught my eye in the shop. The goal being to end up with an interesting display showing the progression of design from 1914 to 1945, with some modern examples to show where it led to. So, what do I collect? 1/35 Tanks, and 1/48 Fighter aircraft. Specifically tanks, and not armoured cars, soft skins etc, or the collection would get too big ... and there are only 2 types of vehicle on the battlefield anyway – Tanks and targets. Same thing with the fighters – bombers take up too much space ... and they’re targets.

You may be thinking that 10 years was a long time ago, but things got in the way like the quake that wiped out a bunch of the stuff that I’d built, and I didn’t want to build anything new knowing that I’d have to move it all out of the house and then back into the new house after the rebuild, so I just kept collecting kits and am just now starting to building them. Hopefully there are some pictures below of my first kits built in a long long time, these are both old and cheap kits that were just done for the practice and will be replaced by better examples in the stash. They are the old Academy PzKpfw 4H and the old Tamiya Tiger (35056). The Tiger was my first attempt at using hairspray after watching a couple of YouTube clips on it – parts of it I’m happy with, parts I’m not, but that was the purpose of building the old kit to practice on. The weathering is very light on them too, that’s something I need to learn. Another change for me has been the change from Humbrol enamel paints that I’ve always used in the past, to Tamiya acrylics that don’t stink the house out so much. I tried Vallejo but didn’t like the way they sprayed, although I like them for detail brushing. I’m also new to a double action airbrush which I really like.

I’m currently putting together a very old Heller Somua S35, but that’s being done purely to use as a paint mule to try out paint mixes. What a minefield that’s been, trying to find what the original colours really look like. For every expert who says “here’s what it looks like”, there’s another one with something different and they’re equally as adamant that they’re right. But I’ve got a good handle now on what the colours should look like and will come up with Tamiya mixes to get what I’m happy with, hence the paint mule. The dunkelgelb on the PzKpfw 4 below is the wrong version for that late in the war, I know that now, but I didn’t then.

My builds will all be out of the box, although I may modify some of them a bit, but I won’t be spending a fortune on aftermarket stuff, as that’s money and time I can better spend on another kit/build. I’ll enjoy the aftermarket stuff by watching all the amazing work that you guys do. There are some very talented people on here.

The last 2 photos are of my stash, as it’s always interesting to see what others have got, and it’ll give you an idea of what I’m into.

One last thing – how I found you all. Andrew, if you’re reading this, I bought the Ost Ketten off you from trademe, and you had the website listed in your blurb about them. See if you can spot them in the stash pic.

One other last thing – my user name. I’ve always had a soft spot for the Pitts Special (Lil Stinker). I’m also particularly fond of the Fokker Triplane and thought of a play on the word Fokker ... but thought better of it.

Cheers
Owen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by Bishop.

Hi From Christchurch 6 months 2 weeks ago #2

• shaunfletcher
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 237
Welcome

Some nice models, love the tiger. Look forward to many more. 1/35 WW2 armour is the best scale and subject so good on you!

..and 10 years is a decent quick build for some folks here ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stinker

Hi From Christchurch 6 months 2 weeks ago #3

• Stinker
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks for that. Yeah, I've noticed some quite long gestation periods :whistle: The tiger was a week to build and a week to paint.

Hi From Christchurch 6 months 2 weeks ago #4

• shaunfletcher
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 237
gods my tiger took me a couple of years.. a few weeks to build, then nothing for 2 years, then a few days to paint and finish heh

Hi From Christchurch 6 months 2 weeks ago #5

• Terry
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 221
Thanks for joining in Owen. I could not spot a Pitts Special amongst your stash, or have you already built one in 1/48? Not often can one build a 1/48 aircraft that can be contained within the palm of a hand! Very cool aircraft. I look forward to seeing more of your handywork here.
Cheers.

Hi From Christchurch 6 months 2 weeks ago #6

• Stinker
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Terry wrote: Thanks for joining in Owen. I could not spot a Pitts Special amongst your stash, or have you already built one in 1/48? Not often can one build a 1/48 aircraft that can be contained within the palm of a hand! Very cool aircraft. I look forward to seeing more of your handywork here.
Cheers.

There's a tiny wee 1/72 Pitts S2A lurking in the stash, a bit hard to spot, but there's also a much larger 35% Pitts S1-11B Super Stinker under construction in the workshop. Only the tail feathers built on that one so far. Once complete it won't fit in your hand ;) 2m wingspan, around 25lb in weight, and 80cc engine. It'll get there one day.

Hi From Christchurch 6 months 2 weeks ago #7

• Michaels Models
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 131
Hey Owen welcome to the KM family.

Some very nice looking builds and don't stress about your build rate... I am shocking at getting bench time or finishing a build :P

I am liking your stash... great to see some 4 and 2 wheeled kits.

Cheers Michael

Hi From Christchurch 6 months 2 weeks ago #8

• Bishop
  • Thank you received: 1551
Welcome to KM from AUstralia. I’ve inserted your photos into the thread so we can see them. Great work and a nice stash too. You even have the DML E100 I’m going to track down one day.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

Hi From Christchurch 6 months 2 weeks ago #9

• Maarten
  • Thank you received: 622
Welcome to KM from the Netherlands,be sure to post your next /current build here .
Attachments:

'' I could sense things were about to kick off, so I got out of there !''

Hi From Christchurch 6 months 2 weeks ago #10

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
  • Thank you received: 413
Welcome to KM. You'll find us a pretty easy going bunch.

In Soviet Russia, Iron Curtain GB builds you!

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....

Hi From Christchurch 6 months 2 weeks ago #11

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
  • Thank you received: 591
Welcome aboard B)

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

Hi From Christchurch 6 months 2 weeks ago #12

• Stinker
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Michaels Models wrote: Hey Owen welcome to the KM family.
Some very nice looking builds and don't stress about your build rate... I am shocking at getting bench time or finishing a build :P
I am liking your stash... great to see some 4 and 2 wheeled kits.

Thanks. I bought the cars a loooong time ago, but I doubt I'll ever build them, other than a mini (my 1st car), and should really put them on trade me. Although I bought the '53 Ford Pickup recently as I plan to make it as a wreck abandoned in a field for a long time, the idea being to use it to learn more about creating weathering, damage etc rather than spoiling a tank kit while I learn. The bikes are because I ride bikes, but they'll be kept away from the armour/aircraft display.

Bishop wrote: Welcome to KM from AUstralia. I’ve inserted your photos into the thread so we can see them. Great work and a nice stash too. You even have the DML E100 I’m going to track down one day.

Thanks. I wondered why the photo's didn't appear fullsize like everyone elses, I'll have to suss out how to do that. I see you're in South Oz - Adelaide? I'd love to visit there one day for a look around, in particular I'd like to go on the paddle boats on the Murray river. I've been to Melbourne a couple of time times for the F1 and a poke around Hearns Hobbies. My next visit will be for the Australian International Airshow next year. I bought the E100 and the Maus some time ago and have since realised that the E100 never left the paper, while the Maus was actually built, so I don’t require it any more. Same with the Panther II with the 88 – never built, so it’ll have to go. They’ll be replaced with something else. Finemolds are about to release a Mk1 Centurian which I’m wanting.

Great work you’re doing on the King Tigers.

Maarten wrote: Welcome to KM from the Netherlands,be sure to post your next /current build here .

Thanks, I will. I love your U-Boat Bunker.

CyNaKyL wrote: Welcome to KM. You'll find us a pretty easy going bunch.

Thanks, yes you seem a fairly laid back lot, which is why I joined up. It’s relaxed and not too busy here, so it’ll be easy to keep up with what people are up to.

Andrew wrote: Welcome aboard.

Thanks – and thanks for the Ost Ketten.

Hi From Christchurch 6 months 2 weeks ago #13

• Bishop
  • Thank you received: 1551
I’ll buy the E100 if you’re selling!!

Amateur plastic surgeon!

Hi From Christchurch 6 months 1 week ago #14

• Henry
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 35
I am also from the shakey city.

Thanks Henry

Hi From Christchurch 6 months 1 week ago #15

• Admoto
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 69
Welcome Owen. Great to have another South Islander here and good to see those bike kits in your stash.

Hi From Christchurch 6 months 1 week ago #16

• yak
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 230
Welcome :)

Rob

Currently hacking away at:
1/48 Hobby World TA-4
1/48 Tamiya Mosquito
1/35 Asuka Firefly VC "on hold"

Hi From Christchurch 6 months 1 week ago #17

• Glenn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 518
Hey Owen welcome to KM its a great place to be....
I have not been around here for awhile been busy making other stuff.
You have a sweet stash of some classic kits.:cheer:

Hi From Christchurch 6 months 1 week ago #18

• Tiger
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 937
Welcome aboard. You have some pretty neat armour kits there in your stash.
Looking forward to seeing some builds in the future.
Nice builds buy the way, like the Tiger :cheer:

• Page:
Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary