• Gary
  • Gary's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 years 2 months ago #1 by Gary
Time to move again was created by Gary
Hey folks
Well the last update was around the hosting company moving this site to a new hosting solution, I recently found out that this wasn't to help us but because they had been secretly acquired by Evilcorp aka EIG (Endurance International Group).
EIG is a company that buys up other hosting companies, strips out all the good stuff and moves all the customers on to their own infrastructure in one Datacentre. They were the reason I moved us to Site5 in the first place, they bought out Hostgator and slowly stripped out the quality stuff and left us on a crap host.
Recently I've been seeing some weird errors (403 type and others) from members, double (and sometimes triple) posts and general poor performance. I use an independent monitoring tool and while the uptime has been very good I've felt that the site's performance has become poorer.
I'm in the process of finding another hosting company that offers good performance, lots of storage all at a reasonable price and more importantly isn't owned by Evilcor.
I think I've found one and will be looking to move us lock stock and multiple smoking barrels to them in the near future, I'll keep you updated.
Cheers
Gary, G1, Gaz etc

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kiwimav, Woadism

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #2 by Nosferatu
Replied by Nosferatu on topic Time to move again
Just let us know if you need donations G1...always happy to throw you some coin to help out...

Actually..It was about time I made a contribution... $ Inbound!

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most"
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Nosferatu.

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 years 2 months ago #3 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Time to move again
Thanks mate, every bit helps, average hosting bill is around $500 a year plus any paid addons I use. I host other domains like ipmsnz.com and the subsites like Waikato and Manawatu on the same reseller package.
I can do good deals if anyone wants a subdomain for a blog or club site, just ask anyone from the Manawatu club what it's like.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
More
4 years 2 months ago #4 by CyNaKyL
Replied by CyNaKyL on topic Time to move again
Thanks G1, I've noticed odd little connection errors, usually in the afternoon, over the last few months but figured it might have been my end at work. It would say we were connected to the internet fine but couldn't access the KM website. Usually a refresh after a few minutes fixed the problem.

Thanks for keeping KM up and running, I too am due to do a donation so I will flick some moolah through when I get a chance. Might not be much but I;m sure every little bit helps.

In Soviet Russia, Iron Curtain GB builds you!

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....

More
4 years 2 months ago #5 by Bishop
Replied by Bishop on topic Time to move again
Thanks as usual Gary, for watching out for.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
4 years 2 months ago #6 by Viperbuilder
Replied by Viperbuilder on topic Time to move again
Good work Gary.

Come to think of it I have been getting the odd error of late on this site when I've been putting forth the Airfix Shackleton for the Bomber Command GB. The responses I received have come back as errors. :evil: Just saying like... :whistle:

On the bench:
Airfix 1-48 Tiger Moth

More
4 years 2 months ago #7 by Viperbuilder
Replied by Viperbuilder on topic Time to move again
403 error.

On the bench:
Airfix 1-48 Tiger Moth
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 years 2 months ago #8 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Time to move again
Yeah I've sent an email to the possible new hosting company asking for clarification on certain options, fingers crossed. One of the options is unlimited disk space or at least more than I had with the last bunch. I can then increase the maximum image size allowed.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Woadism

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
4 years 2 months ago #9 by Craig Sargent
Replied by Craig Sargent on topic Time to move again
The last 5 posts I have made, everytime the session has frozen before I finish typing the post. All other open sessions have been fine. That's never happened before.

On The Bench
Eduard/Hasegawa 1/72 Liberator GR.V
Tamiya 1/48 Martlet IV conversion
Eduard 1/48 F-4J Phantom
Hasegawa 1/48 TAV-8B Harrier conversion
Trumpeter 1/32 A-10A Thunderbolt

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #10 by Rangi01
Replied by Rangi01 on topic Time to move again
Hey Gary,
If you would like to drop Lydia a line at Oceania Web Hosting (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.) this company used to be owned by my Brother before he passed away, Lydia was his right hand woman and she now runs it. They do all our hosting and are excellent (small company with real people who care AND will take a call from you), feel free to mention that I sent you and I am sure she will look after you.
Hope that this helps
Shane

The problem witn money is, most of it belongs to people that aren't me!
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Rangi01.

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary