• Gary
  • Gary's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 6 months ago #1 by Gary
Site images was created by Gary
Hey folks
Can I get you to save your photos to this site as attachments, I know a lot of you use Flickr, photobox etc but if these services go down for any reason it messes up the look of the threads. Plus some of these site have permissions on them that stop some people from viewing them. I'm telling you, that you have to do it I'm just asking if it's not too much trouble to add them as attachments.
Cheers
Gary

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago #2 by Tiger
Replied by Tiger on topic Site images
No worries G1. I think mine are saved as attachments already ? :unsure: :evil: :whistle:
Dave

More
6 years 6 months ago #3 by jimmy07
Replied by jimmy07 on topic Site images
It's a heck of a lot easier to just attach too. I was sold on it ages ago :)

More
6 years 6 months ago #4 by GlennM
Replied by GlennM on topic Site images
Hi Gary. Do you have a particular file size limit and image size you would prefer, because I image attaching the images as files means we have no control over the size of the image in a post. And by attaching the photos does that mean we can't have inline text along with each photo? I.e. Are all the photos just attached at the end of the post? Sorry if these are dumb questions, I've only done one post with images so far and they all link from my blog.

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 6 months ago #5 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Site images
I think I've set the limit to 2MB which is pretty large, it resizes them to 1024 x 768 and you can put them anywhere you like just use insert where the cursor is. It's been my experience that people move on or around and one day they are with flickr the next with a different host and it screws up the forum because the old hosts delte the photos.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
6 years 6 months ago #6 by GlennM
Ah ok all good Gary, I reckon for me this will be easier to create posts anyway! Keep up the stellar work!

More
6 years 6 months ago #7 by Hadley
Replied by Hadley on topic Site images
Is there a limit to how many pics in one post?

In the build:
3x 1/24 Subaru rally cars
1/35 AH-6J Little bird
1/48 AH-1W Cobra

More
6 years 6 months ago #8 by Queeg
Replied by Queeg on topic Site images
Tested - all good.

Isn't it hard on the site though Gary - Storage and bandwidth wise?

It is nice not to see the error messages though. I was a mod on a site long ago and we archived posts with broken lineks if they were over a set date old or with users who hadn't visited or posted in "x" period ....... that kept things tight too.

Brent

Didn't touch it - NOT my fault ..........
houseofqueeg.wordpress.com/

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 6 months ago #9 by Gary
No I own the hosting company as well :)
If I go over on bandwidth or disk limits I just assign more to myself.
Hadley it's 10 images per post but if you go back and then edit the same post you can add more and more.

More
6 years 6 months ago #10 by Queeg

Gary wrote: No I own the hosting company as well :)
If I go over on bandwidth or disk limits I just assign more to myself..

Well that works!!! Attachments it is then ....... :lol:

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 6 months ago #11 by Gary
It's actually good to see how much this site has increased it's traffic in the last year alone, this time last year the bandwidth limits were set to 25GB a month, I've just had to set them to 40GB /pm as we hit the cap of 35GB 3 days early.
I think the site content currently sits at around 7GB which doesn't sound a lot but for a normal website is quite large.

More
6 years 6 months ago #12 by Queeg
You can see the increase in activity by a quick glance at the post dates - good to see. As I mentioned I only found this site by accident ..... I'm now dug in like an Alabama tick.

My Blog has a 10GB content cap which is pretty good for the free version, even with my rate of pic posting I'm at about 7% ...... having said that the plan this year is to upgrade it to a .com

It'll be interesting to watch the storage stats as people change to direct storage and attachments. Bulk storage is vastly cheaper than it used to be. It's just keeping it backed and access times that can be an issue.

Brent

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 6 months ago #13 by Gary
Not sure of the storage config it's hosted out of Texas way cheaper than trying to get it hosted here in NZ ;)

• RossMack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • UnZud 39South
More
6 years 6 months ago #14 by RossMack
Replied by RossMack on topic Site images
Well, stomp on frogs and call me Sally.
Surprising what we learn when we look 'out the window'.
Much betterer idea, G1.
B)

I didn't realise the number of pics allowable was that good. I shall have to take advantage from now on. It would save a whole heap of time, too, what with u/l to PhotyBukkit and all that fol-de-rol inserting links.

+1 to G1.
;)

Regards

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
There are two types of aircraft: fighters and targets

On the bench:
Esci A-1H, I.D. Models 1/72 Andover vac, Hasegawa 1/72 F-15D

More
6 years 6 months ago #15 by GlennM
Hi Gary.
Call me stupid but attaching images seems to just load them at the bottom of a post I.e. They aren't in line with the text. Is that what's to be expected? I thought we could attach an image anywhere in the post. This would make it easier to put text about each image as you go, for example when doing a build log. Or am I doing something wrong?

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 6 months ago #16 by Gary
I've just done them for you, what you need to do is click where you want to put them then click insert which is now near the attachment you just added, that puts a bit of code in to display the attachment. You can move that bit of code around if you realise you want to swap the pictures around a bit.

More
6 years 6 months ago #17 by GlennM
Awesome Gary. Cheers for that.

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary