Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • Gary
  • Gary's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 9 months ago #1 by Gary
New site almost there was created by Gary
The new version of the website is almost there, I'm hoping there won't be too much of a difference once it's finished. It may not look much but it's taken a couple of months work to get to where it is now, the new version is a complete rewrite of the software, the hard part for me was migrating the user info and matching it up to the different systems. Don't use it just yet, but feel free to log in and look around, your current passwords will work, don't change them between now and the time I finish the update (a week more at the longest should see it finished).
test.kiwimodeller.com/
I know about some of the bugs, don't post bugs just yet as I'm already very busy and you'll just delay me :)

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #2 by CyNaKyL
Replied by CyNaKyL on topic Re: New site almost there
Looking good G1, I like the forum style too, more concise and easy to read (not that there is anything wrong with the current style). Thanks for doing this for us undeserving minions... :P

- Gaz

In Soviet Russia, Iron Curtain GB builds you!

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by CyNaKyL.

More
7 years 9 months ago #3 by gibbs
Replied by gibbs on topic Re: New site almost there

CyNaKyL wrote: Looking good G1, I like the forum style too, more concise and easy to read (not that there is anything wrong with the current style). Thanks for doing this for us undeserving minions... :P

- Gaz

I'll second that a tremendous thank you for all the effort you put in Gary

Declan.

My little corner of the internet
File Attachment:

More
7 years 9 months ago #4 by Bishop
Replied by Bishop on topic Re: New site almost there
Looks good so far Gary, great work.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
7 years 9 months ago #5 by Moon Puppy
Replied by Moon Puppy on topic Re: New site almost there
Nice work Gary!

I'm running Joomla 1.5 at Modelers Alliance and I'm dreading doing any updates now. We have so much stuff I'd hate for something to happen.

What version are you going up to?

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 9 months ago #6 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Re: New site almost there
2.57 So it's a complete rebuild and not just an upgrade as such :'(
I bought a convertor that has imported most of the content to the new version, there's still a lot of Database consolidation work to do but it's not too bad :)
Oooh I like MA I poke around there myself, love the artwork on the logos and such.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
7 years 9 months ago #7 by Moon Puppy
you not going to the Ver3? If you have my luck they released 3 about the time you were finishing the migration. I just wish Joomla had a clear update path to these new versions.

Thank you about the artwork at MA, We have Chukw to thank for that :woohoo:

More
7 years 9 months ago #8 by RED
Replied by RED on topic Re: New site almost there
looking good Gary, and thankyou for putting it all together for us ;)

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 9 months ago #9 by Gary
Yeah I looked at version 3 when it came out last week or whenever it was, but it's not supported by the main components yet. Version 2.5 is a major change and is supported for another year at least according to their road map.
Thanks all, yeah it's been a pain in the arse to get it this far but at least now I think I have a fairly fool proof method of migrating all the data. I'll probably be going live this week with the new site, I just need to dump all the data as it's changed since Friday and re-import it then switch over.
For the time being I'll just be going with the forums and will slowly reintroduce the old content like PMs, articles etc, eventually ending up with the look and feel I'm after.

More
7 years 9 months ago #10 by Moon Puppy

Gary wrote: Thanks all, yeah it's been a pain in the arse to get it this far but at least now I think I have a fairly fool proof method of migrating all the data.

I'd love to see your notes! I'm planning on doing a migration after our CTA Fundraiser finishes in Feb.

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 9 months ago #11 by Gary
Notes? Ha I'm a techie we don't use notes, next you'll be asking if I did a proof of concept first!!

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 9 months ago #12 by Gary
Well it's here and I know it will take some of you a while to get used to the changes. Sorry but It was a necessary evil to do the upgrade, there's still a lot of work to do but at least the forums are up and running. If you're not sure how to reply or posts or create topics just click on the button that says User Actions for a list of things you can do.
Personally I like the new forum layout it's got some pretty smart features, I can go back to the old skin if people are finding it hard to navigate (at least give it a try before you pooh pooh it).
There's some annoying things I need to iron out, like the little squares etc I'll get there. Happy for one of the mods to create a snagging list of things that need to be fixed, added, re-added etc.
Any real problems stick a post in the bugs section or email me gary at kiwimodeller dotcom (no not the fat German hacker).

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
More
7 years 9 months ago #13 by CyNaKyL
Replied by CyNaKyL on topic New site almost there
Like you say, G1, it will take a bit of getting used to but I for one like the new style. I remember when the same thing happened at ARC ages ago and everyone moaned about the new look but we all got used to it pretty quick. Shall I create a topic under the Bugs and Issues section specifically for new site things such as things that need fixing and things people want?

- Gaz

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 9 months ago #14 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic New site almost there
Yes please if you could mate, thanks.

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 9 months ago #15 by Gary
I'm going to put that other skin on as I can't see the buttons.

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
More
7 years 9 months ago #16 by CyNaKyL
That was one of the things I was going to mention in the bug thread, I could only see them if they were highlighted....
Creating thread now...

- Gaz

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 9 months ago #17 by Gary
I'm working on a couple of changes to the site, the first one is the template, the current template has some clitches in it as I'm sure you're aware, they didn't really manifest themselves until the site went live. They are mainly visual issues around the look and feel of the site, an updated Template should resolve this.
I'm also working on a new Joomla component that will hopefully be a Kit Stash/Collector module where you can build your stash online a bit like a cross between the that McCoy uses and the offline one that you can download.

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #18 by CyNaKyL
That online Kit stash sounds awesome. Keep up the good work G1. Hopefully you are actually having some of your holiday to yourself and not slaving away for the sake of us minions???

I also like the fact that there is now a "preview" button available to see your post. Nice one !

- Gaz

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 9 months ago #19 by Gary
Oh by the way Quick reply puts you straight in to the message body.
Bare in mind that the preview button won't preview images/attachments, purely because the image isn't uploaded to the server until you hit submit, you might be able to edit your post and see the image previewed but not checked that out yet.

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
More
7 years 9 months ago #20 by CyNaKyL
So it does (quick reply).
Will prob use this way from now on... Much quicker.

- Gaz

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 9 months ago #21 by Gary
I've always used quick reply, the only thing it doesn't do is smilies and images but I'm sad enough to know the tags so it's not an issue for me ;)
I will look at trying to get it to default as it's a bit of a pain.

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #22 by CyNaKyL
No problem if you can't, quick reply works well enough... Might be worth posting the tags for the different smilies for those of us who don't happen to know them all? That way we can use them in the quick replies too? It can wait until after you've got the site up and running properly though...

- Gaz

More
7 years 9 months ago #23 by Davidrnz
Replied by Davidrnz on topic New site almost there
Gary,

This new version is a LOT more stable on the IPad. 5 minutes (so far) without crashing!

David

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary