Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • Gary
  • Gary's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 11 months ago #1 by Gary
Site security was created by Gary
Thanks all for the continuing heads up on spammers, we've been pretty lucky so far with the number of spammers we've had. I'd like to put that down to the continuing vigilance of our moderators and admins so thanks to them.
If you see spam just click on the report spam and this will email the mods and one of us can sort them out. The site has pretty good security but as it grows in popularity I'm sure the spam levels will increase, be vigilant and don't click on any links you see. I think it's probably safe to say that you shouldn't click on links posted by any new member unless you know of the site or you know the poster.
Thanks all for your continued support
Gary aka Gaz aka G1

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
More
7 years 11 months ago #2 by CyNaKyL
Replied by CyNaKyL on topic Re: Site security
Without looking at things closer, I presume we (as moderators) can only remove the offending posts and then flick you a PM with the username to be removed? Or is there a way we can do it for you? Not that I'm advocating having the mods able to delete users (not that any of us would maliciously) but I was just wondering...

- Gaz

In Soviet Russia, Iron Curtain GB builds you!

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....

• Gary
  • Gary's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 11 months ago #3 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Re: Site security
The thing with Joomla is the accounts are global and not just for the forums, we don't get that many new members and I tend to vet them based on their usernames and email addresses, the worst offenders are gmail accounts. I've got it now where registration and membership is a manual thing so this stops most of the spammers, but a few of them still go through the manual process of registering, waiting for email confirmation and then posting one post before they get deleted and banned.
It takes longer for them to do this than it does for me to hit the delete account button :)

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
More
7 years 11 months ago #4 by CyNaKyL
Replied by CyNaKyL on topic Re: Site security
I figured that might be the case. All good. B)

- Gaz

In Soviet Russia, Iron Curtain GB builds you!

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....

More
7 years 11 months ago #5 by Bishop
Replied by Bishop on topic Re: Site security
Yep, its just a matter of watching.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary