• Gary
  • Gary's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 2 months ago #1 by Gary
New Template was created by Gary
Hey folks, it's time for another template change :wail:
I've been busy getting ready for a major site update to move the site to the new generation of Joomla. Some of the features from the old version won't work on the new version and some of the elements of the old Template also need changing.
SO I thought I'd clean it up and give it a unified look across different resolutions so we all see the same, hence the box in the center.
I'm also looking at some other options and I want a cleaner looking site.
Would welcome constructive comments and suggestions or just thoughts on the potential new look.
Cheers
Gary

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Dean
  • I must do less research, I must do less research
More
8 years 2 months ago #2 by Dean
Replied by Dean on topic Re: New Template
I don't mind the fixed width but I do find the background too distracting.

My wife calls me a curmudgeon. I haven't looked it up but I assume it means "fun loving and free spirited" or some such twaddle. I inform and perform over at www.militarymodels.co.nz and stick my oar in here as well. My passion is WWII 1/35 armour but I'm coming around to liking the odd 1/32 thing...

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #3 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Re: New Template

Dean wrote: I don't mind the fixed width but I do find the background too distracting.

What, more distracting than

Is it because it moves or just the background?

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Gary.

More
8 years 2 months ago #4 by Phil
Replied by Phil on topic Re: New Template
To be honest, I too find the background a bit distracting, and also I'm now reading the forum on about 50% of my available screen width, which on an 11.6" screen is a pretty skinny strip down the middle.

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #5 by Gary
Phil what device are you using as it filled my screen on my Android tablet and the Android phone?
If you didn't like this one can I get some sugestions as to what you would like to see.
I need to change the template and the site for the software upgrade, so now is the time to speak up ;)

Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Gary.

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 2 months ago #6 by Gary
I'm kind of limited to what I can do, I have to make the "thin strip down the center" a set resolution of 1024 as this is the default resolution for a large proportion of our visitors. If I make it any larger then they have to scroll all over the page to view it. If I make it a floating width like the old template then the site is different shapes and layouts for different resolutions, like 4 columns will display on a 1280 res but on 1024 you'll only see 2 for example.
As the site is more than just a forum I can't make it full width for the forums as it needs a menu to navigate to the other components. I could put a better menu along the top bu then we'd lose the left hand modules.
If you want to use a mobile device to access the site I'd be happy to put the old mobile interface back. I did test this template on my Android devices and it looked fine to me but I don't have an apple device to test it on.
As I said I'm happy to work on getting it right but I am limited to what I can do, if you could send me a screen shot of your thin strip that would help me to.

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 2 months ago #7 by Gary
Personally I like this template as it is but I'm bias so lets hear your thoughts.

What I would like to do is leave this template up until the weekend (and then change it back), in the mean time compile a list of things that people like and dislike about the template. Try to be helpful in your critisism "I don't like blue" doesn't count as a valid response :P
But seriously I want to make something that pleases as many people as possible.

• Dean
  • I must do less research, I must do less research
More
8 years 2 months ago #8 by Dean
Replied by Dean on topic Re: New Template

Gary wrote:

Dean wrote: I don't mind the fixed width but I do find the background too distracting.

What, more distracting than

Is it because it moves or just the background?

The rocks creates depth to the contrast against the lighter main page and depending on your sceen settings you'll see as little as 1cm. Oddly my sites are set to the same 1024 but with mine I only see 2cm each side, with this I see 5.5cm each side.

The dulled down version works better than how it was. Personally I find the logos too large and too irregular so they're constantly fighting the eye for attention. If it moves I've never seen it move, I didn't even realise it was supposed to. I don't mind the fixed width and I'm sure once people get used to it they won't even notice it, but I just find the background annoyingly intrusive. But again that will probably depend on how much of it people see, on my screen it's a bit over 25% of the width, some people will be more, some will be less.

My wife calls me a curmudgeon. I haven't looked it up but I assume it means "fun loving and free spirited" or some such twaddle. I inform and perform over at www.militarymodels.co.nz and stick my oar in here as well. My passion is WWII 1/35 armour but I'm coming around to liking the odd 1/32 thing...

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 2 months ago #9 by Gary
Sorry Dean was just being sarcastic, glad you know me in person :blush:
The screen is actually 1000 but I'll adjust it to 1024 and see what that looks like, yeah the background moved as you scrolled down the page but I fixed that earlier.
I personally run at 1920 x 1080 so I see quite a lot of the side, once I get some more logos I'll mix them up a bit more and tighten up the formation.

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #10 by Davidrnz
Replied by Davidrnz on topic Re: New Template
Gary,

I frequently view this site on an iPad (it beats concentrating on the crap on TV). On this machine, the new version of the site seems a bit sluggish. First the background draws....... and then the forum page. It looks ok, but it just takes a bit longer to get there. Also the screen refresh seems slower when scrolling.

And, no, I'm not ready to buy a new model iPad just yet.....

David
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Davidrnz. Reason: Added info

More
8 years 2 months ago #11 by Phil
Replied by Phil on topic Re: New Template
I'm viewing it on a 11.6" laptop with a resolution of 1366X768. Seems ok though, not noticing the background now and the thin strip down the middle is ok.

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 2 months ago #12 by Gary
Thanks for the update Phil, so useability wise it's ok?
Cheers Dave, this is the kind of feedback I need, can you tell me if it's slow once you've viewed the site and go back to it later?
Don't forget if you want anything changed colours layout etc now's the time to say before I start the move to the new system.

More
8 years 2 months ago #13 by agyoung33
Replied by agyoung33 on topic Re: New Template
Hello Gary,

I've only just noticed, but where is the globe thing? I used to watch that for hours on end!!

"The man is clear in his mind, but his soul is mad."

More
8 years 2 months ago #14 by agyoung33
Replied by agyoung33 on topic Re: New Template
My bad. It's back there. :blush:

On my laptop the site seems cool. No lag in down loading the page. I don't find the logo's distracting at all by the way - if anything they are very faint.

"The man is clear in his mind, but his soul is mad."

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 2 months ago #15 by Gary
Your post reminded me that I hadn't put it back, so I did :)
Thanks

More
8 years 2 months ago #16 by Davidrnz
Replied by Davidrnz on topic Re: New Template

Gary wrote: can you tell me if it's slow once you've viewed the site and go back to it later?

Gary,

It seems the same whether I've been browsing for a while or if I've just rebooted...

David

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
More
8 years 2 months ago #17 by CyNaKyL
Replied by CyNaKyL on topic Re: New Template
It kinda sucks a bit only having the strip down the middle (i've got a 27" led @ 1920x1080) but I can see the point G1 is making with it displaying correctly for more formats so I can live with it. Tbh, the first thing I noticed that was different was the nuclear symbol in the address bar in Firefox (I thought WTH???). I do agree somewhat with Dean though in saying something with a bit more contrast might help cause the whole page is rather white looking, maybe unfading the background a bit to give it a bit more colour might help? Otherwise everything else seems ok so far... I'll use it some more over the next few days and see if my opinion changes...

- Gaz

In Soviet Russia, Iron Curtain GB builds you!

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary