• Gary
  • Gary's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 5 months ago #1 by Gary
Focus on WWI was created by Gary
Hey folks
I've recently noticed an increased interest on the net in WWI and modelling in general, with some fantastic new kits being made available. To this end I've managed to persuade Nick aka Geek44 to adopt all things WWI. Starting with WWI Aviation including all things with Wings 'n' Strings, I've created a sub forum in Aviation for WWI specific aircraft builds and Nick is going to be plagiarising the net to add research material to the research section and creating reviews, articles etc.
Cheers
Gaz

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #2 by Geek44
Replied by Geek44 on topic Re: Focus on WWI
Thanks Gaz.
At the moment it's kind of 'infant' but we'll see what we can get going.
Right now I'm thinking to move all the WW1 specific build logs (by myself, Maarten, Moeggo and maybe the odd other person) into the new section from 'Follow As I Build'. If anybody has any objections they should let me know either here or via PM. Any suggestions are also welcome.
Peace.

The heavens were the grandstands and only the gods were spectators. The stake was the world, the forfeit was the player's place at the table, and the game had no recess. It was the most dangerous of all sports and the most fascinating. It got in the blood like wine. It aged men forty years in forty...

More
8 years 5 months ago #3 by Geek44
Gaz,
Quick note. Thanks for making it almost too easy. We'll see what we can make fly. If the Germans could get their Zeppelin Staaken off the ground, we can fly this.
Peace.

The heavens were the grandstands and only the gods were spectators. The stake was the world, the forfeit was the player's place at the table, and the game had no recess. It was the most dangerous of all sports and the most fascinating. It got in the blood like wine. It aged men forty years in forty...

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 5 months ago #4 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Re: Focus on WWI
No worries mate, always happy to create stuff if there's interest in a subject. I think WWI is a growing topic, especially with the likes of the fantastic kits from WnW and even the older stuff from Roden etc. I'd love to see some more WWI Armour and even some of the old Ironclads thrown in to the mix, I believe that one of the big companies recently released some of the Ironclads, might be worth chucking something up about these, even if you "borrow" someone elses for now.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
8 years 5 months ago #5 by Geek44
'Ironclads'? Ships or tanks?
Peace.

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 5 months ago #6 by Gary
Ships, Dreadnaughts etc

More
8 years 5 months ago #7 by Geek44
Gotcha.

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
More
8 years 5 months ago #8 by CyNaKyL
Replied by CyNaKyL on topic Re: Focus on WWI
I must say Geek44, you haven taken to this with some gusto and are making the rest of the reference categories look absolutely barren. I, for one, shall have to start following your lead and posting some more reference material into some of the categories.

- Gaz

In Soviet Russia, Iron Curtain GB builds you!

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 5 months ago #9 by Gary
It's what it's there for mate, if you need anything to make the site more appealing to it's members just shout. Hate to say it Nick as it makes me sound like a manager (I'm not, I work for a living) but keep up the good work mate.
Hey Nick is there any benfit to moving the WWI Research section in to the WWI modelling section (maybe even just rename that whole section to WWI and have sub forums of modelling, research etc? That way it would limit the amount of scrolling down the front page of the forums, just a thought but happy to leave it with the other research stuff.

More
8 years 5 months ago #10 by Geek44
Cheers mate. It's all good for the membership which is small but intimate.
Peace.

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
More
8 years 5 months ago #11 by CyNaKyL
Replied by CyNaKyL on topic Re: Focus on WWI

Gary wrote: makes me sound like a manager (I'm not, I work for a living)

I resent the implication there Gary :ohmy: :P

I'm a manager and I certainly work for a living (it's hard to find good minions these days so I have to do most of the work myself :( )

- Gaz

In Soviet Russia, Iron Curtain GB builds you!

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....

More
8 years 5 months ago #12 by Geek44
My inclination would be to leave it as is Gary. For the simple reason that I hope to add stuff to the WW1 research area that has nothing directly to do with modelling. People may USE it to research for their projects and that's what I hope. As YOU said, let 'Google' do some of the work. To that end I plan to add a diverse mix of WW1 related stuff over the next weeks. We may get hits and then people deciding to stay and have a look.
As this area is pretty new to me on this level, I'm only one step ahead, learning as I go. I hope to mix it up a little. Cast a wide net as they say.
As I said earlier...all input and suggestions are welcome.
Peace.

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 5 months ago #13 by Gary
It's your call mate, shout if you need anything from me.

More
8 years 5 months ago #14 by Geek44
Thanks Gaz. I will. :)
Peace.

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary