Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks

TOPIC: Thinking too big?

Thinking too big? 4 months 1 week ago #1

• Nosferatu
  • Nosferatu's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 535
Not really a Rant or a Rave..Just a line of thought that I have been mulling over.. Do you think to big when if comes to builds? I ask because with my last build..The Stuka..Which is complete for now www.kiwimodeller.com/index.php/forum/38-...1-32-ju-87d?start=60 ..I want to do a Dio for. I also have the Toyota Land Cruiser.. www.kiwimodeller.com/index.php/forum/mod...pick-up-with-zu-23-2 .. Which I am also thinking of doing a wee scene for. Im waffling! So I then look at my stash and slow rate of build and I am wondering if I am thinking to big..Should I be putting less effort into detailing to knock out more kits? Am I being too heavily influenced by what I see online? I must also say I have never really done a proper Dio so I dont have a method as such..Hoping the new hobby room will encourage me to get more bench time.Any ways..I know at the end of the day it is up t me and what I want to do but what are peoples thoughts and processes? Do I need to just knock out a couple of easy fun builds?..Some pics of the new space..

Sorry! I know I waffle on a bit!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most"
Last Edit: by Nosferatu.

Thinking too big? 4 months 1 week ago #2

• Terry
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 260
The entire too big thing can be taken a long way certainly, but why? Sometimes it only needs the simplest of bases to set something off. I think your Stuka would look even better on a base/in a dio setting. It doesn't even need to be a big base. Gary Wickham built a 1/32 Mossie a few years back and did a simple freehand cut mdf base with grass and some figures mostly contained within the footprint of the aircraft and it sets off the build beautifully imo.

I have no idea of what you had in mind for the Stuka but a snowy airfield with some grass showing through, some objects to give scale like say two figures from Wings Cockpit figures and your Stuka will be a centre piece.

Attachments:

Thinking too big? 4 months 1 week ago #3

• Nosferatu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Cheers Terry.. That does look good! I think once i get into the new spot it will be fine..very hard to get motivated when you are cramped and surrounded by crap!

Thinking too big? 4 months 1 week ago #4

• Grant
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 442
Nice new room. :) I'm continually starting big projects that will commit me to a whole heap of time. Sometime I think of just building 1/72 and having fun with it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nosferatu

Thinking too big? 4 months 1 week ago #5

• Terry
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 260
I don’t see any harm in thinking too big, nor being influenced by what I see online. In fact some of my future dio builds have been influenced by photos and model techniques I’ve seen online. I suppose I know that making a Flak train on a viaduct in 1/35 scale with rocket firing Tempests is probably asking for trouble and space I don’t have so it’s a case of cutting my cloth to suit, especially as my dio making skills are in the walk not run phase!

As for your observations around slow build rate, many of us suffer that ignominy for any number of reasons. I’ve recently got distracted from building after forking about with a 1/32 Fly Models Hawker Hurricane. The model itself has been reviewed widely as being generally ok, so it was something of a surprise to me once glued up to find the tail end warped to the point where the elevator wing tips were not parallel with the main wing tips by a significant amount. After multiple frustrating sessions drowning the sodding thing in a basin full of scalding hot water I’ve got it twisted back into shape, but that’s where it all stopped.

I look at the Hurricane now and feel like I’m suffering some sort of modelling PTSD. :blink: :lol:

So the Fly kit is a timely reminder why fun easy circuit breakers are good to do. IMO said circuit breaker model should ideally have two white 5 pointed stars contained within a pair of red and blue squares on the box cover. Those kits are guaranteed not to require scalding hot water!

Knocking out more built kits is not a panacea to stash reduction in my experience. (I’m too careful and slow for that to ever happen). I too have a SABLE (stash acquired beyond life expectancy) and flogging stuff off seems to be the only realistic way I can reduce it.

So that leads on to my own thoughts and processes. Lately I’m just picking favourite subjects and building them. Loosely speaking I’m tackling subjects that are not intensely difficult in terms of size or complexity, so not trying to make a strip of Italian medieval village with the NZ 4th Armoured Brigade driving through it, rather a simple vignette with perhaps a figure or something for scale and each time try to add something new to push or extend my skills, or as sometimes happens verschlimmbessern!

Yep we all need a bit of verschlimmbessern in our modelling lives! ;) :)

Last Edit: by Terry.

Thinking too big? 4 months 1 week ago #6

• Nosferatu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Good Thoughts there Terry! I think its usually pretty healthy to have a bit of a re-assess as to why we do what we do.. Usually ends up with being refreshed and ready to go...For me once I get the new room sorted I am looking forward to tackling some builds in earnest instead of a bit here and a bit there...

Attachments:

Thinking too big? 4 months 1 week ago #7

• Glenn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 543
Sweet looking space man...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nosferatu

Thinking too big? 4 months 5 days ago #8

• Nosferatu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Or maybe...Not thinking big enough?? The stash is all in one place..and while I know its not as big as some..It does make me a little excited..and nervous...

• Page:
Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary