Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • 1/35th Battalion
  • 1/35th Battalion's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
2 years 9 months ago #1 by 1/35th Battalion
Now I Know . . . was created by 1/35th Battalion
hey there modellers. It's Mojo missing me. Or rather, Me who had utterly and completely been abandoned by that oft times elusive creative joy and passion we refer to as Mojo. Mine took a hike late last year and although I have popped over here from time to time to see what you lot are up to, I have not found My Mojo lurking here abouts.
It's amazing what a sudden deadline can do though. This Thursday is our club build judging, something we do every year. Those participating have had their kits since February, me included. The club sources a kit and subsidises what members pay and I went for the kit this year because it was Tamiya's new release 1/48 Japanese Type 10 MBT and a sweet wee kit. But mine sat on the shelf gathering dust whilst that mojo was awol. But here's the kicker, I'm the club president and really should set an example of good conduct now shouldn't I? So there was I, 16 days out from completion date and what should show it's head around the corner . . . woo hoo, howdy there Mojo.
As of about an hour ago the build is more or less finished, just a final matt coat on it required. Not at all happy with the result because it still looks like a toy, straight out of the box, no weathering, highlighting or such, factory fresh and in the wrong colour, but what the hey, I just built a kit for the first time in around 10 months. I might even post a couple of pics after Thursday night.
But now I do Know what it's like to lose the Mojo. And that is a whole other story . . .

Cheers
David

On the Bench:
Tamiya 1/24 Alfa Romeo 155 V6 TI (1993 DTM) - "Built to Race" GB
Revell 1/24 '77 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 - getting the "Mad-Maxed" treatment - moving to the "Diorama" GB

Don't let someone dim your light simply because it's shinning in their eyes !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 9 months ago - 2 years 9 months ago #2 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Now I Know . . .
Welcome back to David's Mojo :)
I can't imagine not modelling for that length of time. I was back in my cave 4 days after having spinal implants in my neck, trying to model with a neck brace on and totally forgetting everything I was doing as I was doing it due to the meds lol
It keeps me sane and I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds refuge/solace/peace in doing something rewarding with my hands.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
Last edit: 2 years 9 months ago by Gary.

More
2 years 9 months ago #3 by Bishop
Replied by Bishop on topic Now I Know . . .
I look at all the kits I couldn't be bothered finishing. It's only the big stuff that's inspired me at all. It will come back so getting one under the belt is a good start.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
2 years 9 months ago #4 by Nosferatu
Replied by Nosferatu on topic Now I Know . . .
I think it hits us all at some time or another..Good to see it back for you tho David! For me its usually when something else takes precedence and the longer it takes to sort it the harder it is to get back. Also with doing the T-34 at the moment I fall into the trap of not getting to the bench because I know that I only have a limited time to get anything done before I have to stop again. But at the moment I have been trying to make myself get in for an hour before work each day. Hence the fact the build has been soooo long! I have had to learn that a little bit at a time is better than none at all.

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most"

More
2 years 9 months ago #5 by Terry
Replied by Terry on topic Now I Know . . .
Good to read you're back in the game David. Speaking from my own experience here, I'm prone to running amok with detailing which I really do enjoy for the most part, but there comes a point where it drags on, and then motivation suffers and next thing I've dropped anchor. I'm leaning towards building ootb more in the future and even as our G1 says "is to build it however you like, and even, better make sure it's wrong, cos that way the rivet counters get really upset LOL :D" Ok pissing people off is probably going too far, but nor am I a museum curator.... so short builds and pissing people off is probably the right way to go! :P

More
2 years 9 months ago #6 by olive drab
Replied by olive drab on topic Now I Know . . .
Pissing people off will really encourage people to be involved aye!

More
2 years 9 months ago #7 by Grant
Replied by Grant on topic Now I Know . . .

Terry wrote: even as our G1 says "is to build it however you like, and even, better make sure it's wrong, cos that way the rivet counters get really upset LOL :D" Ok pissing people off is probably going too far, but nor am I a museum curator.... so short builds and pissing people off is probably the right way to go! :P

We should have a group build themed around annoying the rivet counters in the most egregious and creative ways. :evil:

More
2 years 9 months ago #8 by Grant
Replied by Grant on topic Now I Know . . .

1/35th Battalion wrote: But now I do Know what it's like to lose the Mojo. And that is a whole other story . . .

Good to hear you found a way through it. A quick build got me through my recent bout.

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
2 years 9 months ago #9 by Andrew
Replied by Andrew on topic Now I Know . . .
Good to see you back David!

I know all about missing mojos. It is surprising how little it takes to kill it, sometimes for an indefinite length. Lifes curveballs are a PIA sometimes :evil:

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

More
2 years 9 months ago - 2 years 9 months ago #10 by Gary

olive drab wrote: Pissing people off will really encourage people to be involved aye!

Why so serious all the time Mark? :(
I think you need some plastic love, you should build something Sci-Fi. It would be like watching HAL or a Dalek explode. Say this in your best Dalek voice "Does not exist, can not compute, must find 300 reference photos, can not match paint fragments, must destroy, destroy, destroy", Bigbaddaboom pfffffffwhack................ :D

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
Last edit: 2 years 9 months ago by Gary.

More
2 years 9 months ago #11 by Terry
Replied by Terry on topic Now I Know . . .

Grant wrote: A quick build got me through my recent bout.

Gotta say there's a lot of credibility in quick builds, and it's a most common and frequently mentioned panacea on model forums for mojo-itus. I plan to mix my builds up a bit more in the future and graze more freely instead of intensively farm one kit! As for an egregious group build... I'd love to see the rule book for that one :lol:

More
2 years 9 months ago - 2 years 9 months ago #12 by Glenn
Replied by Glenn on topic Now I Know . . .
Yes a quick build is always a good build,
Sometimes the details can get in the way and kill the drive to finish the model.
I enjoy models that you get everything you need in the box when you buy it,saves alot of f--king around searching web sites for the correct parts etc.
I can understand building a model to a correct timeline,and I do it with lots of help from others,I have picked Andrew ,Tony(bishop)and Marks(OD) brains my times getting models correct.
BUT it is just great to build,paint and finish the model with what I have on hand.
Nothing better than finishing........:woohoo:
Last edit: 2 years 9 months ago by Glenn.

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
More
2 years 9 months ago #13 by grover
Replied by grover on topic Now I Know . . .
I hear you all. Ive been wanting to spend time in the cave, and have made it down there a couple of times, just to stand there thinking that I'm not really feeling it, or im actually pretty knackered. Work being so busy, my home priority is baby and giving wifey a break, which I don't regret at all. Just wish I had more time and didn't have to work 80 hours a week.

Kane
On the Bench - Tamiya 1:48 F-117

More
2 years 9 months ago #14 by Bishop
Replied by Bishop on topic Now I Know . . .
To be honest all of us know what we want to be right and correct and what doesn't matter. Gary is never going to build a near enough is good enough Liberator nor is Andrew going to build a dodgy STuG, but losing sleep over it all isn't the idea of the hobby either. As long as we enjoy that is actually the idea of a hobby. I'm learning do much about the AFVs I'm working on that I really want to improve things so they get vaguely close. As for planes I'd just like to build one. Lol. I get everyone's point of view with this, but when I know what my corner of the hobby should look like I want to get it right now days. That's just me and the hobby costs so much I really can't afford to do less than what I'M satisfied with.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
2 years 9 months ago #15 by Gary
For me I like knowledge to flow at my own pace, I get antsy when it's thrust at me as Gospel so I read and model at my own speed.

HAving said that I want to add to Tony's comment, and say how much I've learnt about the subjects I model since I've been a member here. I do appreciate all of the wealth of knowledge that you guys/gals share here, so thanks and keep it up. :D

More
2 years 9 months ago #16 by gibbs
Replied by gibbs on topic Now I Know . . .
I know the feeling I have hardly done any work on any of my builds so it'll take some form of miracle for me to get them done, in my case its a case of life or more so work eating up my time and energy add to that other hobbies have eating up my spare time and occasionally spare cash (who knew fountain pens would be so expensive) however I I can feel the mojo returning even if it is with the potential of me bringing a planned project forward due to an unexpected event

My little corner of the internet
File Attachment:

More
2 years 9 months ago #17 by IAN
Replied by IAN on topic Now I Know . . .
Good to see you back, David... trying a 'new direction' myself just now - more on that next week. Also just plodding away with the usual sort of stuff.

Ian.

More
2 years 9 months ago #18 by Flying_Kiwi
Replied by Flying_Kiwi on topic Now I Know . . .
Good to see you back David,... my mojo often wanes on the big stiff,... i'm halfway thought the TU-95 and its sixze has caught me.... so what to do...i know start two more models :-)

And i still think Terry is crazy, a modelling genius but still crazy.

BTW i'd go for any anti rivet counter build as Grant suggested,... that could be great..... Mig 29 painted as early 1940's spitfire? or more subtle?? an Me108 painted as a Me109 Emil?? ala Dunkirk??? (or was it a a Spanish buchon?? still haven't seen it)

i'm in!!

Most pilots last words are "Watch this"

• Michaels Models
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
2 years 9 months ago - 2 years 9 months ago #19 by Michaels Models
Replied by Michaels Models on topic Now I Know . . .
I like being different :)

It didn't place very well but I had fun building it and it taught me a few thinks. Will post up a build thread plus some completed images in the near future.

Like David I lost my mojo and it would have to be 2 plus years since I finished a kit... started a couple but never had the drive to keep going.

Thanks to having fun with the type 10 I have already started to clean up a body shell of the next build )

Cheers Michael

File Attachment:
Attachments:
Last edit: 2 years 9 months ago by Michaels Models.

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary