Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • Admoto
  • Admoto's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
2 years 10 months ago #1 by Admoto
For Better and Efficient Service was created by Admoto
I have been dealing with BNA Online Shop in Melbourne for a lot of my supplies for about 6 years. They stock such a huge range and I have always had great service from them. Their postage charges have always been very reasonable. Parcels usually took about a week and a half but that was ok as I dont need items urgently. Up until a couple of years ago I just selected the cheapest freight option but then changed to getting items sent registered as it was only an extra couple of dollars. You had a choice of 4 freight options. Regular Airmail, Registered Post, Express Courier and UPS Courier.
I ordered some items last week and was not able to select a freight option. It just came up Express Courier at around double what I usually pay.
I emailed them and they replied saying they had changed the shipping " For Better and Efficient Service.
I usually pay about $8 to $11 Australian per parcel. This order I had my choices taken away and it was over $20 Australian dollars.
I removed some of the items from my cart and got it down to just over A$16. That was last Thursday Night. The order was here on Monday - Wow fast, although I dont need the items in a hurry.
The items I removed from my cart, a couple I have now brought on ebay which were cheaper even with the freight and I wanted the new issue of the Weathering Magazine - Pigments, I opened an account with Mighty Ape and brought it from there.
Before I had the choice of Courier if i wanted it. Now i have no choice and I object to having to pay about $10 extra for urgent freight when i dont need the items urgently.
Perhaps this is my Scottish ancestory showing. I have no other complaints about BNA but if they want to force me to pay expensive freight I wont be shopping there much in future.
I am sure there must be others here that buy from them so I thought I would share my experience.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• KitModellerNZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
2 years 10 months ago - 2 years 10 months ago #2 by KitModellerNZ
Replied by KitModellerNZ on topic For Better and Efficient Service
I ordered some things from BNA last week and I could choose the usual postage options.

I only had one bad experience when ordering through BNA and it was not their fault. The goods I ordered never turned up and although I had chosen the cheapest option that had no tracking and their terms and conditions stipulated that loss of items was not covered if using this option, BNA sent me out a full replacement.

My biggest gripe is that we can get items sent from Aussie cheaper than having them sent across town in Auckland.

I used to order a lot from HLJ, but their shipping charges are now ridiculous. I ordered a couple of sets of empty Tamiya paint jars and the cheapest shipping option is more than the product.
Last edit: 2 years 10 months ago by KitModellerNZ.

• Webby_NZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Trying to work more on completion over perfection.
More
2 years 10 months ago #3 by Webby_NZ
Replied by Webby_NZ on topic For Better and Efficient Service
I placed a BNA order yesterday and was able to use the cheaper option.

As for Mighty Ape I cant say enough good things about being a Prime Ape.
I signed up on a whim a couple of years ago around the birthday and xmas time of year and used it to get most of my gifts sorted and made back my investment in no time, especially if you use the Saturday delivery option (which is also free for Prime Apes) and when my 3 month run was coming to an end they offered renewal at a great rate and I have been with them ever since. It was amazing when I was home looking after the wife when she broke her ankle and I didnt have time to run round shopping when I could have it on the doorstep the next morning. Since March I have covered the cost of subscription and saved almost $30.

Re HLJ. I agree the shipping can be expensive if you ship immediately but serious $$$ can be saved using their private warehouse option to stash stuff away till you get enough for a larger box, it can get shipping down below $10 per kit if you take a little time.

Stand aside caffine, this is a job for alcohol.
Remember to subscribe at www.plamo.nz for latest news, updates and sales. Use KM5 for 5% off your purchase.
Don't forget to mention you found the site via KM so I can give back to the site.

More
2 years 10 months ago #4 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic For Better and Efficient Service
Yeah I'm with Reon when it comes to being a Prime Ape and MA in general, I know Dave looks out for us but it seems that the whole of MA is also on the ball.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
2 years 10 months ago #5 by olive drab
Replied by olive drab on topic For Better and Efficient Service
My last BNA came in a week, the next is being mailed today using the cheaper mail option. Great for kits not available here, such as Dragon and a number of PE sets. MA has done great for other resources such as Badger, for kits such as Takom, Tamiya and Meng would rather use an actual shop.

• KitModellerNZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
2 years 10 months ago #6 by KitModellerNZ
Replied by KitModellerNZ on topic For Better and Efficient Service

Webby_NZ wrote: Re HLJ. I agree the shipping can be expensive if you ship immediately but serious $$$ can be saved using their private warehouse option to stash stuff away till you get enough for a larger box, it can get shipping down below $10 per kit if you take a little time.

Yeah, I use Private Warehouse all the time. Even then some items when you add them to your combined shipping can push the rate way up. When I decided to have the Spitfire shipped, I added all the other items. I found when I tried to add just one set of the mixing jars (6 jars), the shipping price went up another $10. That was using the cheapest SAL option too. A bit odd when something the size of the Spitfire box was $24 to send. I really want another 1/32 F-4 kit but shipping for that is over $56. Anybody want to buy a kidney??? :silly:

• Admoto
  • Admoto's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
2 years 10 months ago #7 by Admoto
Replied by Admoto on topic For Better and Efficient Service
Maybe the pen is mightier than the sword ?

I wrote to BNA after placing my order last week and advised that I had removed items from my cart and would be shopping around in future as I would not pay those freight costs. I also told them that this new shipping policy would loose them a lot of sales. I got a reply saying that they would bring it up with management.
I have just had a look and the other shipping options have reappeared as some of you have said above. I am guessing they had a few complaints.
All good again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Webby_NZ

• Webby_NZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Trying to work more on completion over perfection.
More
2 years 10 months ago #8 by Webby_NZ
Replied by Webby_NZ on topic For Better and Efficient Service
Sometimes in this day and age of internet shopping we need to give more feedback to retailers about how to keep customers coming back and not scaring off any new ones.
Good stuff.

Stand aside caffine, this is a job for alcohol.
Remember to subscribe at www.plamo.nz for latest news, updates and sales. Use KM5 for 5% off your purchase.
Don't forget to mention you found the site via KM so I can give back to the site.

More
2 years 10 months ago #9 by olive drab
Replied by olive drab on topic For Better and Efficient Service
Some retailers need to be a little more interested too, yes they may make a good sale out of RC but would suggest modellers are in the hobby for longer and will make more purchases over time.
A friendly welcome would help some!

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary