• Flying_Kiwi
  • Flying_Kiwi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 years 8 months ago #1 by Flying_Kiwi
Help LED Noob! was created by Flying_Kiwi
He guys,

So i've branched out,... dipping my toes into the world of Scifi having purchased the BSG TOS Viper and Cylon Raider in MA's lovely sale..

I would like to "spiffy up" the builds - especially the Cylon Raider as its huge - with some LED's

Now i know my Ohms from my ....elbow but i'm not sure about LED resistance. I could go and buy the ready made lighting packs but they are eye wateringly expensive,.. and i can solder... like a gibbon... but it works.

Does anybody have wiring diagrams (three straight Blues no flashing), walkthroughs or any tips on the best place to purchase some supplies.

Thanks..

FK

ohhhh yes!!!!

Most pilots last words are "Watch this"

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 8 months ago #2 by johnsnz
Replied by johnsnz on topic Help LED Noob!
Hi,

Go and have a chat to the folks in Jaycar.. They will be able to help. Or drop me a pm

Cheers
John

More
3 years 8 months ago #3 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Help LED Noob!
300K resistor should do the trick then just solder them all up in parallel.
I can make you up a full flashing set if you want, I bought some Arduio nano's cheap and I've got 100 Blue LEDs (and 100 of Red, Yellow, Green and Clear all High Vis).
Happy to make you up a fully programmed set, you just tell me the length of the runs you want and what intervals on the flashing if any you want on the LEDs (for a wee donation of course ;) )

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

• Flying_Kiwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 years 8 months ago #4 by Flying_Kiwi
Replied by Flying_Kiwi on topic Help LED Noob!
Thanks for responses guys, PM inbound tonight gary when i can measure up

More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #5 by willvale
Replied by willvale on topic Help LED Noob!

Gary wrote: 300K resistor should do the trick then just solder them all up in parallel.

Not sure if you meant one resistor for the whole parallel loom, but if you did be aware this is a bad idea. Over time LEDs with similar forward voltages will diverge and you'll end up with all the current going through one until it burns out, and then the next, and so on.

This is a brief and helpful discussion:

http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/22291/why-exactly-cant-a-single-resistor-be-used-for-many-parallel-leds

It's one of those things where plenty of people will say "but I did it and it worked" - I know I have - but it's so cheap to do it properly (one resistor per parallel LED) and if you run your model lights often you'll end up regretting doing it wrong when you have to tear it apart again :(

To answer the original question, the wiring depends on the power supply and the LEDs. You can use a PP3 (9V battery) in the Raider as it's enormous, so the simplest option will be to wire the three LEDs in series with e.g. a 150ohm resistor. You'll need to know the forward voltage of the LEDs (e.g. 2.1V) and their current draw (e.g. 20mA) and put those numbers into an LED calculator:

http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz

BTW the raider looks great - I got one from MA too and was amazed when I opened the box that the hull halves were about as big as my head :)

HTH,

Will
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by willvale. Reason: Fixed mistake

More
3 years 8 months ago #6 by Gary
Yes I meant wire the v input in parallel with each having their own resister, I don't personally like wiring stuff in series as you are then reliant on the previous component for operation.
It's like doing Radial circuits in houses, you're loading up the initial leg of the circuit with the full current, that's why ring circuits are much better.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
3 years 8 months ago #7 by Xtr3meNZer
Replied by Xtr3meNZer on topic Help LED Noob!
Hmmm.. that's good to know Gary - Was looking at putting some LED's in my Iron Man figure I have... so I might also get a hold of you in the future for any LED needs :)

• Flying_Kiwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 years 8 months ago #8 by Flying_Kiwi
As much as i want to do the LED wiring,... i'd also want to do it so it works!!! hence Gary's kind offer i will take up. With full remuneration !

there are some cool flickering effects that some have got working for the engines,.. i have no idea how thats done!!! i'll stick with the lights on lights off approach.

• Flying_Kiwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 years 8 months ago #9 by Flying_Kiwi
PM sent G1 thanks agian

More
3 years 8 months ago #10 by Gary
I was inspired by Will's Viper with its full engine startup sequence, so I dusted off my old electronics books (I used to be an electrical technician) and read up on this Arduino things.
I'm currently working out how to do LED animations, so basically you have a single RGB LED (this has Red, Green and Blue LED all in one plus the ability to make almost any colour) so with a single LED you can do full colour changing through the RGB spectrum (your monitor is RGB).
It's interesting what you can do with these tiny microprocessors that aren't much bigger than your little finger and to think we used to have to build an entire cabinet to house something similar. Your average 3D printer or Drone operates on these wee beasties (or the slightly bigger brother).

• Flying_Kiwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 years 8 months ago #11 by Flying_Kiwi
Well dude if you could work out how to do this on both models i'd subsidise the experiment!!!!

More
3 years 8 months ago #12 by Gary
This kind of stuff is exactly what I'm learning how to do, but it's in between all the other things I'm doing and work keeps getting in the way!!!
Will's one was better in my opinion as it changed from an orange flame to full on bright blue.

More
3 years 8 months ago #13 by willvale
Replied by willvale on topic Help LED Noob!
NB: I had some bad numbers in my earlier reply which I've fixed.

I agree about parallel wiring being a good idea to avoid single points of failure, but series can be more efficient - both in terms of total current draw (less means longer battery life) and wiring complexity (fewer solder joints to fail, easier to install wiring inside the model).

Here's my Viper - it uses a microcontroller with daisy-chained programmable RGB LEDs and a few plain LEDs for the cockpit - I think I had them in two series sets driven by two spare controller pins:

Cheers,

Will
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fooesboy

More
3 years 8 months ago #14 by Gary
When you say programmable RGB LED's you just mean regular RGB LEDs on a micro controller like an Arduino yeah?
Were they single RGB LED's in each engine or did you have something else?

More
3 years 8 months ago #15 by Gary
NVM I read the youtube posts, thanks :)

More
3 years 8 months ago #16 by Fooesboy
Replied by Fooesboy on topic Help LED Noob!
Hi Will,

I think I saw your Viper down in Wellington at the nationals.... I must have spent an hour on and off over the 2 days watching it go through it's sequence... AMAZING!
Holding off on running straight out and purchasing a Viper for myself was no easy task!

More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #17 by Gary
Not sure if this will work or not but this is the startup sequence for my Lancaster
circuits.io/circuits/2824090-lancaster-s...ors/embed#breadboard

It's a really simple circuit, click on Start simulation.

Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Gary.

• RossMack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • UnZud 39South
More
3 years 8 months ago #18 by RossMack
Replied by RossMack on topic Help LED Noob!
Fascinating topic.

Bit of a thread hijack.
Gaz, I drug up dozens of sites when I put together the Ent 1701D kit w/ LEDS for a friend.
In the course of building and viewing online stuff I picked up a plain kit for me.
I'm familiar with lecky stuff but arduinos and LED circuits give me pause. Nothing that careful study and logic wouldn't solve.
I forgot you're a lecky whizz, though. Would you be inclined ot take a squizz at the circuit diagrams and confirm where I might put arduinos?

Regards

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
There are two types of aircraft: fighters and targets

On the bench:
Esci A-1H, I.D. Models 1/72 Andover vac, Hasegawa 1/72 F-15D

More
3 years 8 months ago #19 by Gary
Sure

• Flying_Kiwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 years 8 months ago #20 by Flying_Kiwi
weirdly enough i have studied a "you tube" post on the Arduino programming of the daft punk helmets.... wow thats pretty flexible!!!

FK

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary