Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • Nosferatu
  • Nosferatu's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
4 years 9 months ago #1 by Nosferatu
Detailing was created by Nosferatu
Interesting wee blog from Doog on detailing models...

doogsmodels.com/2015/08/21/aint-nobody-got-time-for-that/

Do You?Dont You?...For me it depends on the kit and how much enthusiasm I have for the subject...Being as Ive only been back building for a couple of years I still tend to do everything I can as much to try techniques as to improving the finished product...he has a valid point tho..but I quite like the detailing side of things...who knows? As I build more that may change..Thoughts?

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Von Drinkoften
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #2 by Von Drinkoften
Replied by Von Drinkoften on topic Detailing
I'm still very much finding my way and learning with each build I do, but generally if the detailing is going to be buried beneath plastic then I won't bother.
Close up work I find extremely challenging with my dodgy eyesight, and because of this I quickly get frustrated and don't enjoy it as much, but try to do as much as is reasonably possible such as with aircraft cockpits. If it's obscured from view but can be seen when flipped over like aircraft wheel bays etc then I will still try to make an effort.
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Von Drinkoften.

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
More
4 years 9 months ago #3 by grover
Replied by grover on topic Detailing
Im like VD. Still learning so it's all a challenge. I havent really tried adding or scratch building detail. In sating that when I built the Bandai AT-ST I worked quite hard on the pit area just for none of it to be seen, but I didn't realise that at the time. Would I have made the effort had I known? I don't know but it did challenge me and as Im learning i probably would make the effort if it presented a challenge and was interesting to me. And thats what it comes down to I think. Challenge and Interest, and I guess the audience to a degree. I'm still making models for me. If others like them, that's a bonus.

Kane
On the Bench - Tamiya 1:48 F-117

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
4 years 9 months ago #4 by grover
Just reading the Doogsmodels blog. I quite like what he has to say. Just saying :D

Kane

• Nosferatu
  • Nosferatu's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
4 years 9 months ago #5 by Nosferatu
Replied by Nosferatu on topic Detailing

grover wrote: Just reading the Doogsmodels blog. I quite like what he has to say. Just saying :D

Agreed! And I can see myself adopting a similar attitude when my skills get better....

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most"

More
4 years 9 months ago #6 by olive drab
Replied by olive drab on topic Detailing
Good question. For some kits almost a necessity Tamiya's new Panther D comes with the same spare track racks as those of the mid 90's and I think the same blob latches for the tools. On most tanks barrels are a predominant feature so again focus interest so get replaced, same as with detailing a cockpit. Spend a $100 on a kit that has last century model details?
Other side is do a full interior which adds to the interest and provided hatches are open can be seen, or you know its there and they come with their own challenges which in itself is satisfying to do .

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
4 years 9 months ago #7 by Andrew
Replied by Andrew on topic Detailing
I read that blog too, some interesting points Doog made.

I think I fall somewhere in between. It also depends on my mood too. Sometimes the unseen stuff will get the treatment, but if I'm building an AFV with closed hatches, there isn't much point spending time/paint/weathering materials on it. But then I guess it does provide working practise for the times you do want to show the interior :unsure:

I guess really at the end of the day, you do what you want that gives you satisfaction from the hobby B)

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

More
4 years 9 months ago #8 by Bishop
Replied by Bishop on topic Detailing
If you can't see it I don't bother. I don't have the time. Many of the 1:16 Tiger II builds I'm looking at for reference have gone all out for every detail, but the builders have also made sure that you'll be able to see things even if it means lifting the turret off to do so. I'm following that route with the turret of my Tiger, but not with the hull. You just can't see most of it when its done so not for me. I have huge respect for those, however, who could drop some fuel in their builds and make the thing run. Its good, as Andrew and OD say, to get a nice balance. Its the only way to improve your skills.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• Nth-Shore Modlr
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
4 years 9 months ago #9 by Nth-Shore Modlr
Replied by Nth-Shore Modlr on topic Detailing
If you want to detail then do it if not well that's fine as well,certainly not a subject to tear the hair out over :ohmy:

More
4 years 9 months ago #10 by Grant
Replied by Grant on topic Detailing
Sometimes I don't even bother building the engine on aircraft kits. :sick:

• RossMack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • UnZud 39South
More
4 years 9 months ago #11 by RossMack
Replied by RossMack on topic Detailing
I did my Monogram 'apprenticeship' . .
Complete detail-n-paint the interior of the B-17, B-24, B-25, then shut it all away.
It's great experience for learning relative practicality.

Now, only do what can be seen through windows.

yiC

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
There are two types of aircraft: fighters and targets

On the bench:
Esci A-1H, I.D. Models 1/72 Andover vac, Hasegawa 1/72 F-15D

More
4 years 9 months ago #12 by Xtr3meNZer
Replied by Xtr3meNZer on topic Detailing
Great points guys, good to see everyone has their own approach at the hobby :)

I personally like to detail as much as I can, but if it doesn't get seen, I will tend not to bother. This also means I need to look quite a few steps forward so I know whatg is going to be covered, and what isn't. With my latest build, I brought new resin machine gun magazines, painted them all up, attached little PE handles to them... got them looking really good, and then the body goes over the top of it, and you literally can't see anything... I am not glueing the piece on, and hopefully once it's all assembled, I can remove it to show anyone...

In saying that, if I had never tried to do as much detailing as I can, work on the finer details, I wouldn't be where I am now with being able to paint tiny pieces, and make the 110 like I have done today...

• shaunfletcher
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
4 years 9 months ago #13 by shaunfletcher
Replied by shaunfletcher on topic Detailing
Yeah, for me the rule is simple. If you can't see it when done I don't do it.

Wouldn't for one second criticise someone else for taking a different view though.

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
4 years 9 months ago #14 by grover

shaunfletcher wrote: Yeah, for me the rule is simple. If you can't see it when done I don't do it.

Wouldn't for one second criticise someone else for taking a different view though.

Yup, agree, and in fact I could see me doing more than what would be seen in the future, if it meant learning something new or was an enjoyable challenge. It's like the Android vs iPhone war. It's only the people who see their way as the right way that are the problem. For most of us we don't even care as long as we're happy with what we're doing.

Kane

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • No time to spare..too busy!!!
More
4 years 9 months ago #15 by Kiwimav
Replied by Kiwimav on topic Detailing
Agreed Shaun

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #16 by Terry
Replied by Terry on topic Detailing
imo detailing is best spent where the result can be appreciated, but I would say that. I'm a model maker who probably has a surplus of kits to build and not enough time. Those modellers blessed with too few kits and an abundance of spare time probably see hidden detail in a whole different light, not clouded by the dark shadow of the teetering pile of unbuilt kits, there may be a whole other world of enjoyment hitherto undiscovered by myself. Which brings to mind; zipped up Zoukei Mura kits... not a popular subject choice for alzheimer's sufferers certainly, more a mythical Unicorn of scale models, in that it would rather die than be captured.
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Terry.

More
4 years 9 months ago #17 by Flying_Kiwi
Replied by Flying_Kiwi on topic Detailing
like doog says it depends on the model and enthusiasm and what can be seen....... SR71 or XB-70 cockpits no....cant see jack, bubble canopy fighters hell yes!!!

case in point F8F under cart bay,... just did the bare minimums as you have to pick it up and really look

Most pilots last words are "Watch this"

Attachments:

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary