Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • gibbs
  • gibbs's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 years 10 months ago #1 by gibbs
Postage was created by gibbs
My first order from HLJ should hopefully be here tomorrow, I was surprised how quickly it arrived in the UK in fact it spent more time in customs than getting over here I had factored into the cost that I may have to pay VAT and the invoice for that arrived this morning what I hadn't considered was having to pay the courier nearly the same amount again for the pleasure especially considering I've already for postage when I placed the order

the term 'Rip Off Britain' gets thrown around alot and it's starting to make sense when company's are doing things like this especially when our import allowance is already low compared to other countries

My little corner of the internet
File Attachment:
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
More
4 years 10 months ago #2 by CyNaKyL
Replied by CyNaKyL on topic Postage
Man, that's a bit steep... I suppose in some cases it's worth it to order from within the UK (if the item you want is available) and pay a slightly higher price just to avoid paying horrendous amounts of VAT like that...

In Soviet Russia, Iron Curtain GB builds you!

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....

More
4 years 10 months ago #3 by Bishop
Replied by Bishop on topic Postage
AU is now talking about bringing the limit down from $1000 to as low as $20 so this is in my future. I bought a two pack of 1:6 MG 34s for fun the other day. They are very cool and large and were only $9 US. I was lucky to find them at that price as on ebay they are 3-4 times that. The postage is standard across the board..... $45 US. We are keeping our postage services alive (in the electronic communication era), through postage charges.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
4 years 10 months ago #4 by Andrew
Replied by Andrew on topic Postage
I can vouch for postal increases :evil:

Prior to me having a break for a year, I could get two 1/35 tanks delivered for around $130. Now it costs around $180-$200 :pinch:

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
More
4 years 10 months ago #5 by grover
Replied by grover on topic Postage
Yeah that stings. Watching the Flory vids, he has the same issue coming from HLJ, but there doesn't seem to be anyone who stocks the Bandai stuff in the UK which is bizarre?

Kane
On the Bench - Tamiya 1:48 F-117

More
4 years 10 months ago #6 by wildcat42
Replied by wildcat42 on topic Postage
It's called 'feeding the governments coffers'. Govt has to get their money from the average Joe Bloggs somewhere...

NZ government is now seriously going to try and bring in GST charges on goods on internet buying with value over $25NZD. So much for the 'free market'.

Oh well, Looks like I'm buying a few more things before they make the changes...

The main thing that irks me are the postage charges. Have you ever tried to buy things from the US? Talk about excessive postal charges...somebody at US Postal service is on a good salary <LOL> :lol:

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • No time to spare..too busy!!!
More
4 years 10 months ago #7 by Kiwimav
Replied by Kiwimav on topic Postage
with all these lovely price hikes to you postage and taxes, maybe the brick and mortars will make a come back as they now they can compete against the the online businesses...just thinking out loud...who knows ya'll.

Dave

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.

More
4 years 10 months ago #8 by Moeggo
Replied by Moeggo on topic Postage
Thats pretty standard for the UK... If you get it shipped via Airmail not EMS. The handing fee will drop down to 7.50 instead of 13 pounds.

I done a lot of homework on shipping stuff to the UK.. And Unfortunately there isn't many ways around it.

More
4 years 10 months ago #9 by Dads Army
Replied by Dads Army on topic Postage
USPS!! Don't get me started :angry:
I imported a rifle stock and through the track function watched it travel from mid US to the East Coast, then to the West Coast and back to the East Coast before it left the country.
The other thing that gets me is this new Rural Delivery surcharge. What's up with that? I've never been charged extra for sending but it's common to be charged extra on TradeMe and from some model shops.

"Rough as Guts Production's"

More
4 years 10 months ago #10 by Bishop
Replied by Bishop on topic Postage
I fear it is too late for the bricks and mortar shops. Its too expensive for them to compete even if the taxes are applied. I have one other thing I want to buy on line and then that's pretty much it. Government greed rather than saving local businesses

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
4 years 10 months ago #11 by PJNZ
Replied by PJNZ on topic Postage
Yeah shipping is expensive to NZ. This broker system looks interesting if getting stuff regularly e.g.
www.myus.com/

More
4 years 10 months ago #12 by olive drab
Replied by olive drab on topic Postage
Im looking at a rifle stock myself but the costs are stupid!
Reality is if local shops do their research they can win out of this. ;)

• Webby_NZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Trying to work more on completion over perfection.
More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #13 by Webby_NZ
Replied by Webby_NZ on topic Postage
NZ Post offer the YouShop service that will give you an address in different countires that can then send onto NZ.
Bricks and mortar may stand a chance here with the proposed changes to GST on imports.
It may still be cheaper to import yourself but unless they improve the process for paying duty/GST etc it will put a lot of people off and will likley send them to NZ based reatilers.

insideretail.co.nz/2015/08/04/reducing-k...-for-imported-goods/

And with the NZ$ in its current state its actually worth asking your LHS about their prices.
example, the new Tamiya Mosquito from HK is only a little cheaper than a local store, and mich more of a slide and that mossie will be getting close to attracting extra fees before it makes it to your hands.

Stand aside caffine, this is a job for alcohol.
Remember to subscribe at www.plamo.nz for latest news, updates and sales. Use KM5 for 5% off your purchase.
Don't forget to mention you found the site via KM so I can give back to the site.
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Webby_NZ.

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary