Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks

TOPIC: Home made paint booth

Home made paint booth 3 months 3 weeks ago #1

• Gary
  • Gary's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 924
Yeah the title sounds a bit like a vacuum cleaner on a shoebox I know, but this is home made it's just a bit bigger than your average paint booth.
I've intended to make my own spray booth since building my new workshop, I even got some nice Galvanised sheets but recently I was on a mission to source some aluminium sheets for a suit of armour I'm making (another story). I rocked up at Ullrich Aluminium in Hamilton expecting to be turned away a) for making a suit of armour and b) for not being trade.
Happy to say it could of been further from the truth, the guys were REALLY helpful, keen to know what I was doing and even helped me source the required materials for both the suit and the paint booth.
I scored 3 x full 3m x 2m .7mm Aluminum sheets that were slight damaged at one end for $20 each!! So the game was afoot, I browsed their shelves of varying box sections and made the design in my head, which I later transferred to CAD, and here we are.
That's my 1/32 Liberator sat inside, I've still got a lot of work to do with the actual extraction parts but I sourced a 1K m3 p/h squirrel cage motor off of Trademe for about $200, sourced the filtration material from Ali Express (and enough to make a few filters spare). The motor will sit the other side of the wall in the huge void under my house, I'll connect a 6" hose to the back of the booth and let the little bugger suck away.
The dimensions are 800mm wide x 700mm deep x 500mm at the front going down to 250mm at the back.

Yeah waffly post, so what :P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
RAF Liberator Squadrons
Last Edit: by Gary.

Home made paint booth 3 months 3 weeks ago #2

• Fooesboy
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
Looks great... are you taking orders?

Edit; Ooooh, that plane thingi is shiny :cheer:

Last Edit: by Fooesboy.

Home made paint booth 3 months 3 weeks ago #3

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Thought you'd want to build one yourself mate, I know you like doing stuff like this, you could make a carbon fibre one that would be soooo cool.
But yeah let me finish this one, iron our any bugs etc and then I'll take orders if you want or just give you assistance building one, I'm easy :)

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
RAF Liberator Squadrons

Home made paint booth 3 months 3 weeks ago #4

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Paint booth update, had a good session tonight making the filter unit and the slide rails for it. Also put the bottom sheet of aluminum down. Looks like aircraft riveting but not as neat, had to put the rivets every 40mm so that I could grind the edges down without it bucking.
When I put the side, top and back panels I'll have to put some insulating foam in along the box sections to make it airtight to maximise the pull through the filter, I don't want stuff stuck to the sides of the box when it's running lol.
That's a 1/48 FW-190 it's just for scale, yeah it's a big beastie I know. :)

The filter unit is just U channel riveted each side, with mesh on one side and flat bar on the other to stop the filter material dropping out.

RAF Liberator Squadrons

Home made paint booth 3 months 3 weeks ago #5

• Fritz
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 237
Wow, that's very nice Gary! I am loving the paint work on your Liberator to!

In Progress:
Tamiya 1/48 F-117A
Hasegawa 1/48 TA-4K
www.kiwimodeller.com/index.php/forum/38-...zaf-1-48-ta-4k-build

Completed:
Hasegawa 1/48 A-4M

Home made paint booth 3 months 2 weeks ago #6

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Almost there, I just have to make a removable cover at the top of the box where the filter unit slides in and out then the unit is finished. There's been a lot of blood and sweat, no tears but plenty of blood, aluminium sheets are so sharp lol
Then when it's done I'm going to put a big hole through my nicely finished wall and put the motor the other side in the void under my house, run a socket out and put a double pole switch near the spray booth so I can turn it on remotely. The extractor motor will be about 3m away the other side of an insulated wall so I shouldn't hear a thing :)
Not that it's particularly noisy as it is, it runs really sweet and can hold a piece of A4 up against the filter so it should be good enough for paint :)

RAF Liberator Squadrons

Home made paint booth 3 months 2 weeks ago #7

• Admoto
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 89
Looking good. I like the size.

Home made paint booth 3 months 2 weeks ago #8

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Tonight I had to crawl around the void under the house, wiring up a socket with a remote double pole switch so I can turn it on and off, mounted the motor on a joist just the other side of the wall in the end.
With the exception of the air damper/filter cover I'm calling it done, it's been hard work but worth it.
That's the big 1/32 Liberator in there, shows how big the booth is.
Thanks for looking.

RAF Liberator Squadrons
Last Edit: by Gary.

Home made paint booth 3 months 2 weeks ago #9

• Bishop
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1673
That’s turned out so well. Big alright

Amateur plastic surgeon!
  • Page:
Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary