TOPIC: Modelling and depression.

Modelling and depression. 9 months 1 week ago #1

• Phil5000
  • Phil5000's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi fellas, hope you're all well.

I was wondering if any of you guys deal with depression and how if at all it affects your modelling.

I haven't been able to model for a few months due to depression. At first I tried to force myself and just do a bit, but literally after five minutes I'm bored and can't do any more. So I've just been biding my time, watching modelling videos and reading kit reviews and hoping it will pass before long and I'm able to get back to work.

If you have depression do you find it helps you or are you like me and find you just can't do it?

Thanks.

I'm usually fine on medication but I have a medical condition which forced me to stop taking the meds. I'm hoping once I get over my illness I'll be able to get back on the meds and get back to normal. I think I may be on the mend.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Modelling and depression. 9 months 1 week ago #2

• Grant
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 419
Hi, I know that one of the symptoms of depression is a loss interest in hobbies. I don't really have any experience/advice to offer. Maybe one of the other guys can chip in. All the best with all your heath issues though.

Grant

Modelling and depression. 9 months 1 week ago #3

• Bishop
  • Thank you received: 1599
Depression hits people differently so apart from making sure your doctor is on top of which meds can work with what I’d say you’re handling it the way you need to. Other than that maybe break a kit up into 5 minute sections you can do before you get bored with it will give you a sense of achievement while you work through the tough things. It all sucks, it’s great you can talk about it though.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Last Edit: by Bishop.

Modelling and depression. 9 months 1 week ago #4

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
  • Thank you received: 1160
I think you're doing the right thing. Just leave it for a bit but keep watching vids and stuff. Its what I have done. The weather aint helping moods, but if there's a bit of sunshine, make sure you go outside. The biggest thing is you know about your depression and are dealing with it positively. The fact you can talk about it is great. Another tip is to get yourself a bandai kit. Dont even worry about painting it but maybe have it in the lounge with your cutters and a couple of sanders and just start putting it together as you feel like it. They are great for getting into something that isnt going to fight you or drag on, and you can usually get away without using any glue.

Kane
On the Bench - 1/48 Revell F-15E

Modelling and depression. 9 months 1 week ago #5

• Admoto
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 72
Best of luck getting over this.

Modelling and depression. 9 months 1 week ago #6

• Terry
  • Away
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 229
Hi Phil,

Good on you for being open about your depression and talking about it. I hope your medical condition is on the mend, and do let us know how things are going. I’m genuinely interested.

You’re not alone in not being able to model. I went through a similar phase and it lasted for years. While I was never diagnosed depressed or medicated as such, it is fair to say I was not entirely happy with my lot. A turning point for me was quite recent, when I opted to give up pretty much 99% of the social media, forum sites and blogs I read, and chose to get some rest instead! The only site I frequent and post on is KM. I occasionally read two other sites (not Facebook, that's a hellhole) but KM is still the best eh Gary! :P

So rather than running from my modelling funk, I accepted that all my emotional states are perfectly valid, otherwise I wouldn’t be experiencing them. Rested and free of all the “internet noise” about what other people are doing gave me space to get in touch with the things I really enjoy in my hobby. A mass sell off of my kits also occurred (purging the shelves was most cathartic). I used some of the money from sales to acquire some kits of genuine interest to me. I model pretty much daily now if only for 5 minutes some days, but it’s all good.

Wishing you well.

Last Edit: by Terry.

Modelling and depression. 9 months 6 days ago #7

• Tiger
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 938
Echo what the others have said.
Take it one day at a time and think positive.

Modelling and depression. 9 months 1 day ago #8

• Phil5000
  • Phil5000's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Thank you fellas. I've actually started a new project. I work twenty minutes at a time. It seems to be going ok. But the real test will be when its time to paint. Its usually then that my enthusiasm wanes. I've got more than one model all built and just left sitting in its box on my pile.

Modelling and depression. 9 months 1 day ago #9

• Bishop
  • Thank you received: 1599
Excellent news. It’s the painting thing that gets me too. Why I went large scale actually. Much easier to paint enormous camouflage patterns. Lol.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Last Edit: by Bishop.

Modelling and depression. 9 months 1 day ago #10

• Glenn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 528
Great news:cheer:
For me its decals:(

Modelling and depression. 9 months 1 day ago #11

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
  • Thank you received: 1160
Yup, great news. I've yet to meet anyone who loves every part of the process.

Kane
On the Bench - 1/48 Revell F-15E

Modelling and depression. 8 months 4 weeks ago #12

• Tiger
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 938

grover wrote: Yup, great news. I've yet to meet anyone who loves every part of the process.

I do :woohoo:

• Page:
Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary