• Hadley
  • Hadley's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
1 week 6 days ago #1 by Hadley
Sanding Sticks was created by Hadley
Hey guys
What do you guys use for sanding sticks and where do you get them from?
The ones I've had for years are starting to deteriorate
Thanks

In the build:
3x 1/24 Subaru rally cars
1/35 AH-6J Little bird
1/48 AH-1W Cobra

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 5 days ago #2 by Woadism
Replied by Woadism on topic Sanding Sticks
Hey Hadley - I've ordered various made-for-modelling ones over the years with mixed success, but the ones I get the most use out of are for nail care, from the local chemist. Do look carefully first though, you have to be discriminating in selection because many are too heavy a grit.

More
1 week 5 days ago #3 by Phil
Replied by Phil on topic Sanding Sticks
To be honest I've never been very enthusiastic about the utility of most sanding sticks, because they are generally foam backed, which has a tendency to round off edges and generally produce very imprecise sanding.

I have a number of wooden blanks of various sizes, to which I double sided tape various grits of sandpaper (400 up to 1500).

The only sanding sticks I really like are the flory ones. I generally like the green/white polishers for finishing, and also find the fine and the medium skinny sticks are also useful. I will sometimes use a sponge backed sanding stick on rounded surfaces.

Other than those, these days I do 90% of my sanding with my home made variety as the flat surfaces ensure more precise sanding.

More
1 week 5 days ago #4 by azzaob
Replied by azzaob on topic Sanding Sticks
As mentioned, the Flory sticks are great, another option that has worked for me, and a bit cheaper are this range at BNA www.bnamodelworld.com/hobby-tools-suppli...i-model-inf-iss0220g with the 400 series being my go to general sanding sticks now

Meet the new boss...same as the old boss...

More
1 week 3 days ago #5 by Henry
Replied by Henry on topic Sanding Sticks
I use emery boards myself for sand down the taps off the part seem to work petty well for me.

Thanks Henry

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary