• GlennM
  • GlennM's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
1 week 18 hours ago #1 by GlennM
BNA Model World and GST was created by GlennM
Hi All.

Didn't know where to ask this, so here it is in here!
I assume people are buying from BNA Model World? They are certainly one of the bigger outfits. Does anyone have any insight as to what they do about NZ GST?
I was about to buy some True-Earth products, until I looked at the pricing. You can select AUD or NZD (plus others) in a drop down. Their AUD pricing includes GST I assume, because they are in Australia. However when you select NZD as the currency, they convert their AUD incl GST price into NZD, which means we are paying their AU GST when they export to us. And then we get pinged GST at the border if they haven't actually charged us for NZ GST (if they sell over $60K NZ into the country each year). So we pay AU GST and NZ GST, which makes things rather more expensive than it should be!
The helpdesk reply I got when I asked about this sounded like it came from someone not in Australia, who had no idea how it worked at all! The company I work for has to do this properly to sell into Aussie, I wold have hoped maybe we weren't being mucked about when we try to buy from over there.
I guess if someone has insight as to what really happens, I'm keen to hear. Otherwise, I guess I'll have to find other sources for stuff!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• shaunfletcher
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
1 week 16 hours ago #2 by shaunfletcher
Replied by shaunfletcher on topic BNA Model World and GST
I would be amazed if they are charging aus GST on exports as that would be really bad as they wont be accounting that and paying it back which would be dead dodgy. I THINK as a fairly small scale retailer they probably don't have to do the nz stuff and you are supposed to pay it yourself.

That said I have no idea of the volume they ship over here, theres some magic amount per year before they are supposed to register and do it I believe.

More
6 days 23 hours ago #3 by Phil
Replied by Phil on topic BNA Model World and GST
You wont get charged NZ GST at the border regardless, unless you are placing a massive order.

The currency converter on their site is irrelevant, it has nothing to do with GST and is simply a guide. You'll still be billed in AU $ on your CC.

Last time I ordered (mid April) they didn't add NZ GST, but seemed to charge AU GST, I didn't pay much attention, but reviewing my order there isn't any sign of them deducting AU GST.

More
6 days 21 hours ago #4 by Grant
Replied by Grant on topic BNA Model World and GST
I will buy from BNA if the shipped price is cheaper than what I can get it from here, and it usually is. Also, pre-Covid times, they were usually quicker than local shops. And I've never been taxed at the border.

More
6 days 18 hours ago #5 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic BNA Model World and GST
It's about a two week turn around from them at the moment, put 3 recent orders through to them all took about 2 weeks.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
5 days 19 hours ago #6 by Phil
I placed an order mid April, still showing at Melbourne international.

More
5 days 18 hours ago #7 by olive drab
Replied by olive drab on topic BNA Model World and GST
Order placed on the 7th April no sign 6 weeks later. May look to recover payment via Paypal.

More
5 days 17 hours ago #8 by Admoto
Replied by Admoto on topic BNA Model World and GST
BNA's online website does not appear to be capable of differentiating between foreign buyers and local Australian buyers so we are being charged Australian GST. That is very clear. What happens to it ? - It will be paid to the Australian government as a percentage of their sales just the same as with their internal sales. Very easy for them. What to do about it ? - There are two options. Either pay it and put up with it or shop elsewhere. I think it is that simple. I have brought a few Iwata airbrushes and some mission models paint from Airbrush Megastore in Adelaide. It's website does automatically remove GST for kiwi's.
I buy from BNA a lot. For me BNA is not about saving money, it is about being able to purchase items that I can not buy here.

Shipping delays. With the current situation freight delays are inevitable. With so few international flights operating freight is just piling up all around the world. This situation will not improve until things get back to normal which may be a very long time. I guess they will start sending airfreight by sea soon to help clear the backlog. I read on stuff yesterday NZ Post announced 29 countries have stopped sending post to NZ completely as they have no way of getting it here. I think the best policy for now is to make do with the products we can buy within NZ and work on models from your stash that you don't need to import aftermarket parts for.
The few model shops we have left in NZ will really struggle to stay open over the next year or two with the financial carnage that is coming, if ever they needed support it is now. With overseas freight so uncertain, there has not been a better time in recent years to shop within NZ.
Me being in the south, I am not familiar with North Island shops but Acorn Models in Christchurch carry a lot and have always treated me well.

More
5 days 2 hours ago - 4 days 21 hours ago #9 by dcrfan
Replied by dcrfan on topic BNA Model World and GST
Two other Aussies shops I purchase at remove Aus GST. I never twigged to BNA practices. I ordered from Auckland shop as we exited level 3. It must be much bigger than I remember because the small package took a week just to get out of Auckland. Its now in Wellington but will still be 3-5 days to get out to the burbs. Edit. It was just delivered - 10 days in transit! Slow but well beats my record with NZ Post of 3 months just to cross Wellington (via Palmerston North sorting centre)

My last purchase in Japan is going no where as I will not pay Fedxex/DHL prices which is all that is being offered at this time. No Japan Post option at this time.
Last edit: 4 days 21 hours ago by dcrfan.

• shaunfletcher
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
4 days 21 hours ago #10 by shaunfletcher
I would only buy overseas if its not available here or if the only nz source is taking the piss, which isn't usually the case for modelling supplies (two of my my other hobbies astronomy and 3d printing it absolutely is often the case!)

But for aftermarket, some paints, some tools, no-one here imports anything so hey what can you do?

• GlennM
  • GlennM's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
3 days 19 hours ago #11 by GlennM
Replied by GlennM on topic BNA Model World and GST
Thanks, everyone for pitching in on this one. I agree if their pricing seems reasonable to anywhere else, then that should be a valid reason to purchase from them. Just seems totally bizarre they would leave the AU GST in place, thus increasing their international buyers price (at least in NZ's case) by at least 10%. e.g. $100 AUD on their website, is $107.21 NZD. If they took off their GST then converted it would be $97.46. After doing the GST jiggery pokery the difference is $11.21 on a $100 order. Doesn't sound like a huge amount, but it all counts when comparing to other pricing elsewhere.
The bizarre thing is, their helpdesk didn't seem to understand what I was talking about in terms of the taxes. They even said "its ok anything under $1000 is not taxed". Sure, maybe prior to June 2017, and in Australia, but not any more! The cut-oof before a business selling into must charge GST in Australia is $70K a year, into NZ it is $60K a year, so they only need $5K a month in sales into NZ before they are required by law to charge GST at checkout. I would wager they have easily hit that threshold, and just aren't worrying about it. I'm also amused and honestly not surprised that some have commented their shipments pass on through with no GST being applied at the border here. The system works! (lol).
Anyway, I guess I thought this whole thing was an interesting exercise, if somewhat frustrating, given that HLJ was on the ball to start charging GST on their stuff, and now the pricing is 15% more expensive (and gives a much truer indication when comparing local pricing to the overseas markets).

• shaunfletcher
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 days 19 hours ago #12 by shaunfletcher
My main issue is its not really legit to charge it, and if they get audited they could get in real trouble over it.

More
3 days 8 hours ago #13 by Phil
It is rapidly becoming a moot point, as I wont be buying anything off them again until such time as they can actually deliver.

My shipment from mid April is still showing as sitting at Melbourne international departures, now for over a month. That really is taking the piss, as there are freight flights from Aussie.

More
3 days 1 hour ago #14 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic BNA Model World and GST
That's a bit off really Phil, once it leaves their premises it becomes the concern of the couriers.
The couriers are prioritising parcels at present so its really not BNA's fault.
End of the day if you want to stop buying from them that's your perogative but you can't really lay all the blame at their feet especially given the current real world problems going on outside our doors.
Myself I have had two parcels in the past two weeks all delivered within 10 days. A while ago (before Covid) I had a parcel sat in the airport in Auckland for 5 weeks, that wasn't BNA's fault either, turned out to be an issue with border controls.
I assume you've tried to contact BNA and get them to chase the items tracking number?

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
2 days 20 hours ago #15 by Moeggo
Replied by Moeggo on topic BNA Model World and GST
I've got three orders with BNA from April.

The first one just arrived the other day, taking about five weeks to cross the ditch.

The second one arrived in Auckland yesterday and its on the way down to Wellington. I should have it tomorrow.

These were all Airmail Tracked.

The third order was only placed about 10 days ago, its already left Melbourne and that was on EMS 2-3 Shipping, took this option as it was only $2 more than Airmail Tracked.

More
2 days 20 hours ago #16 by Moeggo
I would suggest sticking in a ticket to NZ Post and get them to look at it. Its possible that it could be stilling in Auckland waiting to be processed... But thats only if you have a tracking number!

More
2 days 20 hours ago #17 by Moeggo
I am in the same mind, a lot of things that I want aren't carried by anyone in NZ. And if I order it via a retailer, it's going to take longer and cost me the same and/or more.

Thou I do buy from MA and The Model Room things that I can get here that I want.

More
2 days 20 hours ago #18 by Moeggo
Yeap it's illegal for them to do that and can get into trouble for sure...
Thou maybe they are taking the GST and sticking it towards the NZ GST bill? We certainly don't know!

Has anyone emailed them and asked them about it and refunding the GST back?

More
2 days 7 hours ago - 2 days 7 hours ago #19 by Phil

Gary wrote: That's a bit off really Phil, once it leaves their premises it becomes the concern of the couriers.
The couriers are prioritising parcels at present so its really not BNA's fault.
End of the day if you want to stop buying from them that's your perogative but you can't really lay all the blame at their feet especially given the current real world problems going on outside our doors.
Myself I have had two parcels in the past two weeks all delivered within 10 days. A while ago (before Covid) I had a parcel sat in the airport in Auckland for 5 weeks, that wasn't BNA's fault either, turned out to be an issue with border controls.
I assume you've tried to contact BNA and get them to chase the items tracking number?

You are correct, it's not BNA's fault, but the fact remains that it's not possible to get orders that are placed with them delivered. Until there is a mechanism by which my order can be delivered, I wont place any more orders. This isn't a reflection on BNA's service, but the reality still remains that they aren't currently in a position to deliver in a timely manner due to postal restrictions.

I contacted BNA last week (after it was sitting for a month), and got a reply that the postal service was overloaded and that I should continue to wait. Two of the guys I work with also have orders sitting in Melbourne, with similar order dates to mine.
Last edit: 2 days 7 hours ago by Phil.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary

More
2 days 2 hours ago #20 by dcrfan
Replied by dcrfan on topic BNA Model World and GST
Benefits of buying local when you can. I ordered some scenic materiel from Kapiti Hobbies on 23rd. Dispatched on 24th overnight delivery - yeah right I thought to myself. Arrived on 25th as promised. Fantastic service by shop and courier given new the normal for postage/courier delivery.

More
18 hours 25 minutes ago #21 by forry
Replied by forry on topic BNA Model World and GST
AIrbrush megastore stopped shipping to NZ as a result of the GST change. I used to buy through them. Such a shame as I was after another airbrush too. Sharp prices as well.

More
16 hours 45 minutes ago #22 by Admoto
Replied by Admoto on topic BNA Model World and GST

forry wrote: AIrbrush megastore stopped shipping to NZ as a result of the GST change. I used to buy through them. Such a shame as I was after another airbrush too. Sharp prices as well.

Oh … that seems a bit strange.
The NZ government and NZ Inland Revenue have no power over foreign sellers to collect GST on their behalf. They can not inforce this. I am being charged NZ GST from AliExpress now and also I think Amazon but NZ Govt must have approached them and politely requested it. They must have decided to comply to avoid being targeted at the border or some other threat. They can not have any way of knowing how much in dollar value smaller online sellers are selling in to NZ without monitoring every parcel, its value and sender in regard to which overseas businesses are selling over the 60K mark, making them then liable to collect NZ GST on behalf. . Clearly they do not have the man power to do this. Most overseas sellers are not collecting for them, nor do they have any interest to do so. Nor should they as it is not their responsibility. The ones that are collecting can not be checked to see if they are even paying all of it or pocketing some. This was just a stupid piece of legislation. So we now have a few larger sellers collecting it for them and the majority of the world is just sending the parcels as they did before. So at the border there will be less checking on the value of the parcels because they wont know without seeing an invoice which have already had GST charged and which have not. I am guessing that the net tax take on incoming parcels will be down. Whoever dreamt this up is probably on $200,000 a year and got a degree in psychology. Just stupidity.

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary