Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • Old-ish Gamer
  • Old-ish Gamer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 month 6 days ago #1 by Old-ish Gamer
Spray Booth questions was created by Old-ish Gamer
In addition to an airbrush I figure I'm going to need a spray booth of some description, especially as I'll be working indoors due to the lack of an outside work area. I like the look of the portable spray booths that vent fumes etc out the window. Can anyone tell me if they actually work effectively? I'm concerned that my computer/modelling room will be filled with paint residue, not to mention the possibility of colouring my better half in the process.

I've been looking at this one online: www.onlinetools.co.nz/products/air-spray..._sid=75cc2f61a&_ss=r

Cheers
Ben

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• shaunfletcher
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
1 month 6 days ago #2 by shaunfletcher
Replied by shaunfletcher on topic Spray Booth questions
Will surely work efficiently. Not sure about value for money there but it does have twin fans and light so maybe that is good.

More
1 month 6 days ago #3 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Spray Booth questions
That looks quite a good one, if I'd known about this company I might of bought one of theirs instead of making my own.
But having said that I did get one that fits my needs and is quite large............ :)

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
1 month 5 days ago #4 by Admoto
Replied by Admoto on topic Spray Booth questions
This one looks good. I have the more common cheaper E420 model. I find it lacking in suction. It is rated at 4m3/ min airflow. The one you are looking at 9m3/min more than double. May have to think about upgrading.

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
More
1 month 5 days ago #5 by grover
Replied by grover on topic Spray Booth questions
I've been looking at this one too from them. I contacted them a little while ago about it and asked if it takes the same filters as the smaller E420 one that I also use, but at that stage they were still waiting on them so it may pay to check again. I will buy one when I get some money spare.

Kane
On the Bench - Tamiya 1:48 F-117

More
1 month 5 days ago #6 by Woadism
Replied by Woadism on topic Spray Booth questions
Hi Ben - that looks good! I have a cheaper (and I think smaller?) model, the only points I would make is that the flexible plastic exhaust pipe on mine perished in the sun (I've since replaced it with some ducting from Bunnings) so that might feature in your site planning.

I still wear a respirator while spraying, too. The hood keeps it from spreading too far, or building up, but your face is still right in there.

Hamish.
The following user(s) said Thank You: grover, Old-ish Gamer

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
1 month 5 days ago #7 by grover
Just messaged the guy from Online Tools. The replacement filters are due next week. I purchased both my current booth and my compressor from him before as well as replacement filters. Really good to deal with.

Kane

More
1 month 5 days ago #8 by Phil
Replied by Phil on topic Spray Booth questions
I had the smaller version for a few years before upgrading to a Bench vent 300S-D. I found with the smaller one it worked much better if you removed one of the two layers of filter. This increased the airflow significantly.

More
1 month 4 days ago #9 by Admoto
Replied by Admoto on topic Spray Booth questions

Phil wrote: I had the smaller version for a few years before upgrading to a Bench vent 300S-D. I found with the smaller one it worked much better if you removed one of the two layers of filter. This increased the airflow significantly.

I had thought about taking one of the layers out. Will give it a try.

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 weeks 6 days ago #10 by grover
I ended up buying this larger booth. Just set it up.
File Attachment:

It comes with LED strips which are actually integrated into a framing system, and plug directly in to either side of the bottom corners of the filter holder. There are 5 pieces with three of them containing LED lights and they provide a little extra structure to the booth's sides, bit aren't essential.
File Attachment:

You can see where they plug in and the kinds of shape they are.
File Attachment:

Unlike the smaller version, this uses an external power supply. This might be good in terms of fixability should there be a power issue. It uses an external brick to deliver 12v
File Attachment:

The LEDs give a off a good amount of light. I don't know if it would pay to find some film that can be used over them in case then end up getting dimmed by paint.
File Attachment:

Vent comes out the top which is great for shorter work benches. Note the soft air duct dies not come with the booth, it uses the expandable plastic duct, but that isn't long enough for me, so Ive had this on my other booth too. $15 Mitre 10 buy back a few years ago. There are two rotating dials that are power switches with dimmers. One for the fans, and one for the lights. One click turns them on and then the more you dial the dimmer or slower the lights/motors.
File Attachment:

And here it is. Nice thing is the base is exactly 2 paper towels width and you can tuck them under the light frame bases. It doesn't seem as deep as the smaller booth but that might just be an illusion caused by it added width. The 2 motors definitely provide more suction. I've removed half of the filter and will put a paper towel up on it when I am spraying. You can see its size next to a 1:48 F-117. I think this is a great size.
File Attachment:

Now that I have it, I'm happy, and I have a spray booth to give away. It's free for anyone who wants it and can come and get it from Papatoetoe, Auckland. PM me if you want. I have some stodgy LED lights that I taped around it too as it never came with lights.

Kane

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary