The Armistice Challenge - 1/48 F-4J Phantom build

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • Craig Sargent
  • Craig Sargent's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
1 month 2 days ago #61 by Craig Sargent
Replied by Craig Sargent on topic The Armistice Challenge - 1/48 F-4J Phantom build
Had a bit of a setback when it turned out the pilot's arm on the throttle meant he could not be fitted in to the front office. He's there now, but it wasn't pretty. Will depend how far I get on painting this weekend if this makes it complete to Armistice or not. As mentioned it will be there at whatever stage it gets to.

In the meantime, here are the decals I drew up and printed for this kit, to match the photos of the jet, and which were not covered by the Impact decal sheet options.

On The Bench
Hasegawa 1/48 F-4J Phantom
Tamiya 1/48 Martlet IV conversion
Hasegawa 1/48 TAV-8B Harrier conversion
Trumpeter 1/32 A-10A Thunderbolt
Eduard 1/72 Spitfire IX
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
4 weeks 1 day ago - 4 weeks 1 day ago #62 by Craig Sargent
Replied by Craig Sargent on topic The Armistice Challenge - 1/48 F-4J Phantom build
Suffice to say that this won’t be finished before we leave on Friday, but hoping that paintwork might be completed. These guys went into the cockpit over the weekend, and have been cleaning up and masking the model, and started on the bare metal exhaust area last night. Hoping to have that done and masked off tonight, and then start on the white areas tomorrow night.

Had to break the pilot’s arm when he refused to get into the cockpit. He has now been happily reunited with the severed limb and join touched up.

Had to remove the RIOs feet to get him to fit in the back. This is a very handicapped crew but they still look pretty capable flying the jet.

On The Bench
Eduard 1/72 Spitfire IX
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 weeks 1 day ago by Craig Sargent.

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 weeks 3 days ago - 3 weeks 3 days ago #63 by Craig Sargent
Now that Armistice 2020 is done and dusted, I will concede (unlike some other orange-skinned guy elsewhere) that my opponent won this round, and Ian produced a quality model, so 1-0. But like the orange-skinned guy, I won't go down without a fight :woohoo:

So it's time to start the Armistice Challenge sequel. I will spend the next few weeks getting my F-4J painted and finished, but want to make sure plenty of time this time around to get a challenge entry finished.

Once we have agreed on the subject, we can start a new thread. For this round, I think it best to stay in our comfort zone, so I propose a 1/48 Hasegawa aircraft kit again. Had a look through the stash when I got home and these are the choices that I can offer for consideration.

F-22
F/A-18A/C
F/A-18D
A-4
AV-8B
F-8
F/A-18E/F or EA-18G

I would add SeaKing as I know that holds a special place for Ian, but mine is too far along to be considered. So there you go. Let's narrow it down and get this going as soon as possible so I have plenty of time to finish something.

The other option might be a Tamiya 1/48 Mosquito after the discussion I had with Ian today :evil:

What say you, savage?

On The Bench
Eduard 1/72 Spitfire IX
Last edit: 3 weeks 3 days ago by Craig Sargent.

More
3 weeks 3 days ago #64 by IAN
...and so it continues:

Thanks for the kind words, Mr. S, very much appreciated. So from your list the only kit that we have in common (in the stash) is the AV-8B, and that isn't even on my radar just now. I've built an F/A-18, a Mosquito and a Crusader (all of which y'all have seen at previous shows). I'm definitely with you on building a Hasegawa kit as they never disappoint... would you consider dropping to 1:72 ?

I have a Tomcat, Eagle and F-111 as well as every single version of Phantom in the 'Gentlemans' Scale'.

Ian.

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 weeks 3 days ago - 3 weeks 3 days ago #65 by Craig Sargent
I'd drop to 1/72, as it is my main scale.

Only problem is that of the first 3, none are really an option. No interest in F-14, already built the only F-111 I intend to build, all my Hasegawa 1/72 F-15s (8 of them) are well started. That leaves Phantoms, so we are back to an F-4. Not sure I'm ready to face another Phantom, but not ruling it out at this stage. The only F-4s I have in 1/72 are F-4E and RF-4E.

In suitable 1/72 Hasegawa jet kits, I also have:
F-104S
Eurofighter A and B
F-35A/B
Tornado
F-16A/B/C/D/I
AV-8B
A-10A/C

On The Bench
Eduard 1/72 Spitfire IX
Last edit: 3 weeks 3 days ago by Craig Sargent.

More
3 weeks 3 days ago #66 by IAN
I'd be up for buying / building a Starfighter !

Ian.

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 weeks 3 days ago #67 by Craig Sargent
Sold.

Hasegawa 1/72 Starfighter. Know exactly which one I need to do too. I'll start a new thread

On The Bench
Eduard 1/72 Spitfire IX

More
3 weeks 3 days ago #68 by IAN

Craig Sargent wrote: Sold.

Hasegawa 1/72 Starfighter. Know exactly which one I need to do too. I'll start a new thread

...and I just-this-minute bought not one, but two from Japan off eBay (other international on-line auction sites are available)

Ian.

More
3 weeks 1 day ago #69 by Grant

IAN wrote: ...and I just-this-minute bought not one, but two from Japan off eBay (other international on-line auction sites are available)

Coincidentally I bought this kit in Yodobashi Camera in Kyoto last year. Super cheap there.

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary