The Armistice Challenge - 1/48 F-4J Phantom build

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
More
6 months 1 week ago #31 by Viperbuilder
Replied by Viperbuilder on topic The Armistice Challenge - 1/48 F-4J Phantom build
The Armistice may be at risk now from not going ahead. Similarly, the IPMS Nationals will also be at risk if the pandemic continues to spread.

On the bench:
Airfix 1-48 Tiger Moth
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 months 2 days ago #32 by IAN
Small update:

Rear section metalwork done with Alclad & AK Xtreme lacquers. Will seal them with a clear coat tomorrow then get back to work on the cockpit - need to sort-out the pilots combing and add the gunsight then scratchbuild some details for the narrow section behind his seat. Also need to add all the latch & lock mechanisms to the sills.

Stay tuned. Stay well.

Ian.
Attachments:

More
5 months 3 weeks ago #33 by IAN
Last week I finished the pilots combing with the Eduard gunsight mount and some plastic card. At the end of the build I'll take the canopies off the fuselage and add the Airwaves etch latches and frames.:

This weekend I managed to get the wings on, intakes on... fair amount of filling and blending:

Next I'll mask the glare panel, then attach the radome, undercarriage legs and wing pylons.

Best from the 'Naki

Ian.
Attachments:

More
5 months 3 weeks ago #34 by Fritz
Looking good fellas. Keep the pictures coming through

In Progress:
Tamiya 1/48 F-117A
Hasegawa 1/48 TA-4K
www.kiwimodeller.com/index.php/forum/38-...zaf-1-48-ta-4k-build

Completed:
Hasegawa 1/48 A-4M

More
5 months 3 weeks ago #35 by IAN
Phantom progress now halted as I'm out of glossy white and that's obviously what I'll need next:

As you see it now, it's wearing two light coats of Tamiya white primer. The drop tank and elevators are primed too. When we emerge - hopefully unscathed - from Level IV, I'll be able to restart, until then this project is in a holding pattern.

Got another build I'm tinkering with and now this one is parked, I'll look for something else to keep me going. I never have more than two 'active' builds on the bench as I'm a bit stupid and get easily confused nowadays.

Ian.
Attachments:

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #36 by IAN
It's back....

I have no idea whatsoever if the 'pre-shaded speckling' is going to work, but if you don't try a new idea then you'll never know, right ? - stay tuned, this could be the best thing since sliced bread or the worst thing since the '58 Edsel....

Ian.
Attachments:

• Craig Sargent
  • Craig Sargent's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
1 month 2 weeks ago #37 by Craig Sargent
Replied by Craig Sargent on topic The Armistice Challenge - 1/48 F-4J Phantom build
That’s looking good.

My only concern would be the darkness of the panel lines against the very light mottling. Given a light colour, the mottling will disappear under the paint long before the panel lines do.

Have a look at Gary W’a 1/48 F-8 Crusader at www.scalespot.com to see how dark he did it. Little too much for my liking but you’ll see how much he did it to get a reasonable tonal variation.

On The Bench
Hasegawa 1/48 F-4J Phantom
Tamiya 1/48 Martlet IV conversion
Eduard/Hasegawa 1/72 Liberator GR.V
Hasegawa 1/48 TAV-8B Harrier conversion
Trumpeter 1/32 A-10A Thunderbolt

More
1 month 2 weeks ago - 1 month 2 weeks ago #38 by IAN
Well that happened !

Mixed my own Light Gull Grey and shot two light coats:

After I finished panicking, took a deep breath and slightly adjusted the tones in the mix and then shot two more - the last was so thin, it was more like 'dirty thinners'.

....much happier now, the speckling and pre-shading still visible, but my phone/camera isn't up to the task.

Stay tuned.

Ian.
Attachments:
Last edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by IAN.

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #39 by IAN
Main painting finished-up this afternoon:

All Tamiya acrylics. Next some touching-up and a couple of light gloss coats.

More next week - have a great weekend all and keep safe especially 'up North'.

Ian.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phew

More
1 month 1 week ago #40 by Fritz
Coming along nicely Ian

In Progress:
Tamiya 1/48 F-117A
Hasegawa 1/48 TA-4K

Completed:
Hasegawa 1/48 A-4M

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
1 month 1 week ago #41 by Craig Sargent
Replied by Craig Sargent on topic The Armistice Challenge - 1/48 F-4J Phantom build
Looking very good. I haven't even finished the cockpit on mine yet. Think you may win this challenge on failure to complete :D

Too many other things taking my attention off this sadly.

On The Bench

More
1 month 4 days ago #42 by IAN
I've known you the best part of eight years, Craig, I'm sure you haven't given-up just yet ;) . So here it is all decalled-up.

About seven hours over five sessions. Next I'll seal them in with a couple of thin coats of (home brewed) satin varnish which will hopefully give me a good base to add the weathering effects.

More next week. Best from the 'Naki.

Ian.
Attachments:

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
1 month 4 days ago #43 by Craig Sargent
Not so much given up as focus has changed. I’ve been wanting the YAV-8B done for some time and so have been focussing in getting this one down the production line. F-4 not gone, but not on the bench. It’s just waiting for me to paint the rest of the cockpit.

On The Bench
Attachments:

More
1 month 3 days ago #44 by Fritz
That YAV-8B Looks nice!

And Ian, Your Phantom looks amazing! Come out nicely with all the decals on.

In Progress:
Tamiya 1/48 F-117A
Hasegawa 1/48 TA-4K

Completed:
Hasegawa 1/48 A-4M
The following user(s) said Thank You: IAN

More
3 weeks 3 days ago #45 by IAN
Fathers Day yesterday, so was able to add the oil weathering to the undersides:

Paynes Grey, Burned Sienna and Raw Umber. About two hours or so simply dragging the 'dots' and blending them by dry-brushing and luck !

More soon.

Ian.
Attachments:

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #46 by IAN
...finished yesterday:

Will post more pics separately later on:

Ian.
Attachments:

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
2 weeks 4 days ago #47 by Craig Sargent
Looks very nice. Well done.

Actually spent some time on mine yesterday. Hoping to get cockpit and engines painted today, so I can start to clean up the kit ready for painting.

Always more “fun” when you leave it until the last minute. Do we know if Armistice is still going ahead?

On The Bench

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #48 by IAN
Thanks, Craig. 'Knew you couldn't / wouldn't give-up on yours, mate ;)

No idea if the show is still happening - the absence of any info to the contrary is good news, but like everything else just-now, it's all about what happens with the Covid-19 situation, right ?

Ian.

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
2 weeks 1 day ago - 1 week 6 days ago #49 by Craig Sargent
Been making some reasonable progress and getting close to closing this up for paint.

Eduard cockpit surrounds added. Strangely, these are not included in the kit and I had to buy the etch separately from the etch included

Cockpit is almost done and just masking up etch to paint the rest

Fine Molds brass pitots added to the tail

Stores underway. Centreline tank ready for paint, but having to modify all 4 underwing pylons for carriage of TERs as Phantom pylons are configured quite differently between air-air and air-ground missions. Brassin Snakeyes assembled and have had a Mr Surfacer textured ablative coating added.

The annoying thing is I've spent a good part of an evening having to ream out the rear of the Eduard resin exhausts as they are not wide enough to fit the provided resin/etch fan faces and flame holder.

On The Bench
Attachments:
Last edit: 1 week 6 days ago by Craig Sargent.

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
1 day 6 hours ago - 1 day 6 hours ago #50 by Craig Sargent
Nats is not going ahead, so means I can now focus on Armistice build again. But there has been a "hiccup". So there is bad news, but then there is good news.

Bad news: The Eduard/Academy kit has been fighting me all the way and was probably not a great choice. It has too many issues left to sort and not enough time left to sort them. I'm not going to get rid of it, but I have definitely shelved it for this endeavour, and for the foreseeable future.

Good news: The Hasegawa kit is a much easier build, and fits better with spirit of the challenge anyway. So change of kit and change of subject aircraft.

The Hasegawa kit already had the Cutting Edge seamless intakes glued in place, but the port one had issues which is why I shelved this kit as son as I fitted the intakes, way back when. So I have pulled out the Hasegawa F-4J and managed to carefully break the superglue holding the troublesome intake in place, without any damage, fix the issues and re-attach. This model had the Aires cockpit, wheel wells and exhausts in the box to be added, so I had removed the corresponding kit parts and have no idea what I did with them.

So after a furious week of evenings of modelling, the Hasegawa kit is progressing very rapidly, but this time, the model will be in-flight. I have closed up all of the gear doors (very disconcerting that a large shim was needed between the Aires resin main gear doors on both sides to get them closed), including correcting the nose gear door, added Fine Molds brass pitots to the tail, closed up the engine auxilliary intake doors under the fuselage, added some square stock for the stand, removed all of the formation lights and fixed the shape of the wing bulges over the gear mounts.

I now need to get the cockpit glued in position and painted - this was installed as a loose fit so I could close up the fuselage and get that dealt with and will position the cockpit later.

Here is the underside shot with me holding the main wing and drop tank in place.

Here is the new subject aircraft with 5 x MiG-28 kills (waaayyy before any Navy puke even got close to one :woohoo: :whistle: ) from April 1978

On The Bench
Attachments:
Last edit: 1 day 6 hours ago by Craig Sargent.

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary