I've been chatting with Flying Kiwi about his AH-1W Cobra build, and thought I could start mine too
2 modellers building the same kit at the same time
So I thought I'd mention it to you all and ask if anyone else was keen
Just a fun build, completely optional, just find a fellow modeller and build the same thing (dif kits like Revell/Italeri is fine just stick to the same subject)
Same sorta thing that the 2 Kanes (grover and Xtr3meNZer) and I did a while back
If anyone wants to build the AH-1W Cobra as well feel free to join in
Aiming to start in February
Let us know if you're keen!
My Build is the AH-1W with HMLA 169 in the two tone grey (not the three tone gulf war scheme)
This is for a mate who was a crew chief on the "Whiskey" and has some great stories of nearly falling off the carrier while attached to the bird, or nearly being flattened by a CH-53 Sea Stallion as it was trying to land on the Cobra... while he was under it looking up.... and then there was a story about stealing a tank...
Close to getting decals on now,... a few build pics to show progress, i will replace the turret with the new mod that hadley got me. Incidentally this is now going to be a test build for the 1:35 monster i just got in the mail!
Don't build it too fast FK!!! lol
How did the rotor piece break off?
Cockpit painted and assembled
I put the skids on this morning before work (late start) so its sitting upside down at home lol
I've also decided to stick with the kits standard turret so can sell my Werners Wings one to whoever, designed to replace the Kitty Hawk AH-1Z turret
Saw a 1.72 kits at Frankton model shop last week for $17.50 so I'm building that too lol
So started the MRC kit 1:35 scale. has a nice engine i'm going to add some detail too. so started with the engine instead of the cockpit this time!
The engine is pretty accurate but i needed to add afew more lines and bumps and levers (especially to the doors) as this guy was a crew chief and spent alot of time under the hood so i wanted to build something he recognized
The kit is also missing some bulk heads and panel covers so ive sorted that out by using some scrap plastic
Figured I better do an update on this, getting there slowly, I've had to reattach the skids a few times as it seems the weight with all the blutac was too much...next step is clear coat then will start the decals