Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Model shop in Buenos Aires

Model shop in Buenos Aires 2 months 2 weeks ago #1

• F1xena
  • F1xena's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • If only I could build kits at the pace I buy kits!
  • Thank you received: 100
Happy New Year everyone from Buenos Aires, Argentina. I find myself trapped here with work for three days, and overall I have to say it’s been a bit disappointing.
We left Auckland on Sunday evening, and it’s an 11hour flight, with a 16 hour time difference (add 8 hours to NZ time, but subtract a day) As a result, if you wake naturally at 7am back home, it’s already 3pm here. Fortunately shops and restaurants are open late....except over New Year, where almost everything is closed!
I got out exploring on the 31st and discovered a model shop on Google Maps named Top Gun not far from our hotel. A visit confirmed that model builders have it pretty tough here! To my surprise, they didn’t have ANY Tamiya kits in stock, and very few Japanese kits at all....a few old Hasegawa, some Academy, but the majority of their stock was Revell and Italeri, along with pretty eye watering prices.....$NZ45 for the old Revell 1/72 Ta152 anyone? Or maybe a Revell 1/24 Audi R8 for $118?
A couple of items did catch my eye....an original plastic window box Matchbox Spitfire MkIX, or Mirage III, but even for the sake of nostalgia, I couldn’t justify $NZ43. They also had quite a few of the Revell boxed Matchbox re-issues, both in 1/72 and 1/76 armour, but again, the prices seemed silly. The rest of the stock was made up with semi-scale plastic/resin airliner models, ready built and painted, and various puzzles and jigsaws. I stayed looking for a short time, but I didn’t see any other customers.
Last time I visited, I discovered another shop in a darkened arcade. It seemed to be more of an enthusiasts shop, with several built models on display, but similarly expensive prices. It was more of a walk from the hotel, and I didn’t bother attempting to visit again, as it may well have been closed for the holidays.
New Years Eve in downtown BA was a complete bust. Six of us walked around for nearly 2 hours from 7pm and we couldn’t find an open restaurant that didn’t want $100US for a fixed menu dinner....and unsurprisingly they were mainly empty (although people do tend to eat out very late here) The whole place was a ghost town, and we ended up back at our hotel.
I haven’t been out yet today (the 1st) but it all looks pretty quiet from my hotel window. Looks like this will be a rare trip where I won’t be bothering the Customs man back home with any overseas purchases!
Already I know the jet lag will be a real bitch when I get back to NZ....I know there is some glamour here somewhere, but I’m honestly not able to see it at the moment!
Cheers and all the best for 2019
Tania

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Model shop in Buenos Aires 2 months 2 weeks ago #2

• Planecrazy
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Happy New Year to you Tania...my wife and I went to Bangkok and I can tell you it went right off on New Years Eve.....the whole place was just a big party and fireworks off tall buildings everywhere. I didn't see any model shops though.....would have been tricky to get to them in the days afterwards...oh well there is still Acorn Models in Chch I spose...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary