• Page:

TOPIC: Tamiya liquid surface primer problem

Tamiya liquid surface primer problem 2 weeks 19 hours ago #1

• Henry
  • Henry's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 35
I've been using Tamiyas liquid surface primer to prime my models the problem is the overspray/dust. I'm spraying at distance of about 5-10cm I thin the primer at about 15-20% the pressure is 20 PSI and how I usely spray my paints/primers on is it looks wet or a bit over this.

Thanks Henry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tamiya liquid surface primer problem 2 weeks 16 hours ago #2

• Terry
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 235
A picture of your problem would be good. I assume you mean your primer dries with a dusty grainy surface? I assume you're using Tamiya lacquer thinner?

My guess is Tamiya Surface Primer is not unlike Mr Surfacer which is quite thick in the jar. I thin Mr Surfacer about 1 to 1 (paint to lacquer thinner). So try increasing your thinner ratio and this should also allow you to spray at a slightly lower psi which will also help reduce reduce overspray. See how that goes.

Tamiya liquid surface primer problem 2 weeks 16 hours ago #3

• Henry
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Terry wrote: A picture of your problem would be good. I assume you mean your primer dries with a dusty grainy surface? I assume you're using Tamiya lacquer thinner?

My guess is Tamiya Surface Primer is not unlike Mr Surfacer which is quite thick in the jar. I thin Mr Surfacer about 1 to 1 (paint to lacquer thinner). So try increasing your thinner ratio and this should also allow you to spray at a slightly lower psi which will also help reduce reduce overspray. See how that goes.

Hi Terry yes I'm yes using Tamiyas Lacquer thinner I do have a Spear model that show the problem it is carently in dark yellow.

Thanks Henry

Tamiya liquid surface primer problem 2 weeks 16 hours ago #4

• Henry
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Here are some photos of the problem on my spear model.

Thanks Henry
Attachments:

Tamiya liquid surface primer problem 2 weeks 12 hours ago #5

• Terry
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 235
The paint has spider webbed as well shot lumps going by the two photos. Quick solution is to thin your paint more - 50/50 at least, and maybe even more thinner than 50% depending on viscosity of your primer? Be sure to mix it well so no lumps are present which can be hard to see in a mixing cup. BTW, don't mix your paint and thinner in your airbrush cup. It's sometimes possible to get away with this with hobby paints but with primer the dense pigments sink to the bottom really quickly, and inevitably end up in the needle passage to cause random spray havoc!

Before spraying your model check spray on a bit of scrap cardboard at your normal distance and If you spray further away (say 15-20cm) to check for any webbing (it looks like spider webs in the air) If the paint is still webbing thin it more.

If you do need to thin more, empty your airbrush cup into a mixing jar to add more thinner, and flush out your airbrush with thinner only. You don't want any of the thick paint randomly dislodging next time you spray your newly thinned primer. I'm assuming you have at least a 0.3mm nozzle airbrush? Other's here on KM might be able to confirm, but this size should cope with well thinned primer, but a bigger nozzle size (I use a 0.5mm for primer) is more tolerant of thicker paints.

Last Edit: by Terry.

Tamiya liquid surface primer problem 2 weeks 10 hours ago #6

• Henry
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I thin the primer in a 20ml tamiya mixing jar up to the rip so about a 5mm or so gap and bit more detail I use the large tamiya eyedropper to the 4th mark and do this about 4 times full of thinner this idea from Andy hobby headquarters on YouTube on thinning tamiya paints and yes I'm using a .3mm needle in my Badger 105.

Thanks Henry

Last Edit: by Henry.
  • Page:
Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary