• Page:

TOPIC: My Favourite Things

My Favourite Things 3 months 2 weeks ago #1

• Admoto
  • Admoto's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 69
I am interested in seeing what modelling Equipment, Tools, Materials and Products people here really like using and why. There are so many things available now and I am sure there are products some of us don't know about or have not tried. So what are your favourite things ? ( Not favourite model kits )
Here are a couple of mine -

Mr Hobby - Mr Cap Opener. Fits Tamiya and MR Hobby / Gunze 10ml bottles.
I often battled with Tamiya paint jar caps trying to get them open. Had even resorted to slip jaw pliers a couple of times.
The blue rubber cup holds the bottle firmly while the yellow ring spanner fits into the caps grooves. Works great. Caps unscrew instantly every time.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by Admoto.

My Favourite Things 3 months 2 weeks ago #2

• Admoto
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Air Blower - Great for removing any dust from items you are about to paint. I also use it when cleaning airbrushes.
I brought the U Star air gun late last year for about NZ$22 which worked really well, but after about 3 months started falling apart.
I recently brought the Harder and Steenbeck Air Blower which was about NZ$90 with shipping. More than I wanted to pay but it is all metal and should last years. Sits on my bench and i use it all the time.

Attachments:

My Favourite Things 3 months 2 weeks ago #3

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 218
For me, it would have to be my Hasegawa modelling chisels. I have the set of four and they get used for everything. There are four tips, a wide flat tip, a narrow flat tip, an oval tip and a diamond tip. They are very good for restoring seams, cleaning up wing and pylon type angled joins, removing sink marks and ejector pin marks from awkward places and removing excess glue. The flat blades are good for scraping, as well as chisels. The diamond tip actually has a V shaped tip so good for panel lines and tight corners. The oval one has a rounded tip and is good for radiused joins, and I also use it with some Tamiya basic putty to apply a radiused join. I even bought multiples of each type, because they get used so much, and they come with sharpening stones to help keep them sharp.

On The Bench
Hasegawa 1/48 F-18 Hornet prototype
Eduard 1/48 Morane Saulner Type I
Hasegawa 1/72 Tornado GR.1

My Favourite Things 3 months 2 weeks ago #4

• Bishop
  • Thank you received: 1522
Too hard to say really. My family of four exacto blades (handles really), and the various blades I use, my multitude of pin vices and my scotch glass I think. I also love my no name thin tweezers.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Last Edit: by Bishop.

My Favourite Things 3 months 2 weeks ago #5

• Admoto
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Bishop wrote: and my scotch glass I think.

Drinking on the job ?

My Favourite Things 3 months 2 weeks ago #6

• Admoto
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Craig Sargent wrote: For me, it would have to be my Hasegawa modelling chisels.

I have not seen these. Will look out for some.

My Favourite Things 3 months 2 weeks ago #7

• Admoto
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
This is a great gadget. Iwata nozzle tool for those Asian airbrushes with tiny nozzles. I hate handling those tiny nozzles and screwing them in and out. This makes it so much easier than the spanners as it holds them as well. Much less chance of cross threading. Fits my Iwata, My Tamiya brushes, my Mr Hobby Procon Boys and also my Sparmax brushes. Probably fits most of the Chinese brushes nozzles also.

so.
Attachments:

My Favourite Things 3 months 2 weeks ago #8

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 862
I moved away from screw in nozzles, I much prefer the Sotar/Badger ones with nozzles that are held in place by the outer nozzley thing.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
RAF Liberator Squadrons

My Favourite Things 3 months 2 weeks ago #9

• Admoto
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Gary wrote: I moved away from screw in nozzles, I much prefer the Sotar/Badger ones with nozzles that are held in place by the outer nozzley thing.

Perhaps you still await your airbrush epiphany ? I have a Harder and Steenbeck Infinitry CR Plus, H&S Ultra and a flock of Paasche"s all of which have much larger nozzles or nozzles held in place by the end cap but only after using my little Tamiya 74514 Super fine and 3 of my Mr Hobby Procon Boys PS770, PS270 PS289 did I understand what good atomization was. It was an instant realization as soon as I used them. These take airbrushing to a whole different level. Unfortunately they all have that horrible little nozzle.

I recently brought an Iwata HP B Plus expecting great things and was left quite disappointed. My H & S Infinity CR Plus is said to be one of the best airbrushes available but it does not atomise the paint like my Tamiya superfine or my Procon Boys which are a fraction of the price. So I have to learn to live with the tiny nozzles.

My Favourite Things 3 months 2 weeks ago #10

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 862
I have an H&S Infinity, I don't get on with it, also have an Iwata HPC + don't like that much either. Plus there's the Paasche Talon and about 12 or so others but my go to brushes are the two Sotar 20/20's and the Badger Krome they just work for me.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
RAF Liberator Squadrons
  • Page:
Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary