• Page:

TOPIC: Black Buck (Wave 3 Slot 2) Diorama

Black Buck (Wave 3 Slot 2) Diorama 5 months 3 weeks ago #1

• Flying_Kiwi
  • Flying_Kiwi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 183
Hi guys, been off the forum for a bit but still modelling my ass off (plastic not the photo kind nobody wants that).

I've had this dio in mind for long time since i read 'Vulcan 607' by Rowland White. which is an excellent read! i'm on my third re-read so i thought i'd give it ago (what happened the the Falklands GB??) I'm sure I don't have to tell you all what the RAF did with literally scrap and a lot of balls was incredibly impressive and did go along way to stopping heavy lift and fast jet aircraft operating from the Falklands, despite the raids detractors

The idea is to model the last hook up between Bob Tuxfords Victor (XL189) and a Vulcan (XM607) flown by Martin Withers, which was a very close run thing indeed.

So to do this i will be using the venerable Airfix Vulcan (A truly terrible kit) and the new tool Airfix Victor!!!! both will be mounted on Perspex rods wheels up with the refueling hose trailing, much like this....

So these are the kits, I've had the Vulcan for ages and the victor was a pre-order ....yeah i pre-ordered it then waited ages to build it,... yeah...

Right Vulcan first .....start hard end easy...
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Most pilots last words are "Watch this"

Black Buck (Wave 3 Slot 2) Diorama 5 months 3 weeks ago #2

• Flying_Kiwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
So the Arfix 1:72 Vulcan kit as most of you know is legendarily bad, so bad that i tried to buy it once from MCH, Mike new i'd just finished the 1:72 Valkyrie (aka the white nightmare) and was still going through therapy,... he calmly shook his head and said " oh no no no, this is not for you right now" took the box off me and put i back on the shelf! This was customer service par excellence as he was completely right,..i miss that guy.

Whats wrong with it? for a start its not accurate (i don't really care), it has raised panel lines as big as the southern alps , and the gaps.....lordy the gaps...
oh and the tail pipes.....and the intakes....

So first off,... lets start with the intakes.... after much scraping and sanding i got them flush together but there was still a seam... so out with the tamiya putty let it dry for a few minutes and hit it with some Acetate on a cotton bud to smooth it down.... stick some 400 grit to a pencil with two sided tape and sand smooth... not bad.

Next things are the bomb bay and wheel wells all closed up of course, there is no bay on this kit as such so if you wanted to model this open there is a fair amount of scratch building involved. you get two doors with this kit one for the conventional bomber and one for the Blue Steel missile, the conventional door is warped, badly and full of flash no amount of Boiling water sorted this completely so i will need to do some filling......as you can see it looks like a blind gibbon has glued it together.... but thats as good as it got. note the massive overhang of the bottom "door" which will need trimming

Stick the pretty minimal cockpit in, no need for weight in the nose for this bad boy.... getting ready for close up until i remembered the pipes....
So i had bought a set of Vulcan Nacelles from flight path as i knew the kit pipes where,..well just holes. it requires some serious surgery to get the resin engines in, however as i was just about to fetch the razor saw i read that the Black Buck Vulcans were all uprated Olympus 301 engine'd, they needed the extra performance for the bomb and fuel load,... the Flightpath engines are Olympus 201, noticeably longer and smaller in diameter. So these are now for sale :-)

But what to do with these Holes, i found some similar diameter plastic evergreen tube and cut sections to represent the internal tail pipe, scratch build some fan faces and bobs your uncle... the problem is they were too far back and its dark in there so the effort goes unnoticed...

Cockpit.... you cannot see a lot from the canopy so this does not get the treatment, although i will paint the pilots before i glue the bubble on. The entire cockpit was matt black in the real thing so even colour here won't help.

Last Edit: by Flying_Kiwi.

Black Buck (Wave 3 Slot 2) Diorama 5 months 3 weeks ago #3

• Flying_Kiwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Wings on..... so thought about this a lot, attach the top wings then glue the bottoms together, that creates a miss alignment at the ends, glue wing halves together (which go together VERY well) and suffer the gap at the fuselage. Some cutting is needed to make the 'wing face' flat where the tab meets the fuse, this reduced the gap from 3mm to 1mm which is doable, in some areas i got the plastic to actually touch, so some evergreen strips to plug the gaps mask it up and hit it with putty.

at this point the model is quite a lot of plastic and pretty heavy!

Now the tail,... the gaps here are awful too lots of dry fitting and sliding help close the gaps, however the tail section (not the fin) has massive gaps.

I'm keeping the sanding to a minimum to preserve the raised detail but inevitably some gets lost, i will try and use stretched sprue to replace this.

After sanding the ole modelers trick of using thick paint to fill in any micro gaps,...then sand that back too.

This is progress to date....

Such a weirdly good looking aircraft
Attachments:

Black Buck (Wave 3 Slot 2) Diorama 5 months 3 weeks ago #4

• Flying_Kiwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
This is the first subject Vickers Vulcan B.2 XM607

The raids marked on the nose

At Wideawake airfield on Ascension island.

This one is an important picture as it shows where the Dash-10 ECM pod was mounted,...very little information on where this hard point was,... even the fitters couldn't find it.

And the crew of the first Black Buck Mission'

Black Buck (Wave 3 Slot 2) Diorama 5 months 3 weeks ago #5

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 221
Ambitious, but off to a good start.

On The Bench
Eduard 1/48 Mirage IIICJ 'Tzniut'
Last Edit: by Craig Sargent.

Black Buck (Wave 3 Slot 2) Diorama 5 months 3 weeks ago #6

• Bishop
  • Thank you received: 1581
Looking good so far. To be honest I've no idea what you're talking about. What is the Dash-10 ECM pod and what were the Black Buck Missions?

ED I've re-read the thread and see that you're working on the truly terrible Vulcan kit and that you'll model the refueling. So is this all from the time of the Falklands?

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Last Edit: by Bishop.

Black Buck (Wave 3 Slot 2) Diorama 5 months 3 weeks ago #7

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 875
Yes, the Black Buck mission was to get Vulcan bombers to bomb the main runways at Stanley it was more of a show of arms than an actual strategic bombing mission, it was to show "those damn Argies we can hit them and they can't stop us". It just took a lot of fuel and aircraft to get there, with each aircraft buddying up to refuel other planes before leaving the flight and returning home.
If I remember only 1 or 2 actual aircraft made it to the target they did minimal damage to the airfield but it did knock it out of action and deter the Argies from making more use of it in the coming conflict.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bishop

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
RAF Liberator Squadrons
Last Edit: by Gary.

Black Buck (Wave 3 Slot 2) Diorama 5 months 3 weeks ago #8

• Nosferatu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 475
Ambitious! But great subject matter! Looking forward to this and Im sure all the work will be worth while!

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most"

Black Buck (Wave 3 Slot 2) Diorama 5 months 3 weeks ago #9

• dcrfan
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 68

Gary wrote: Yes, the Black Buck mission was to get Vulcan bombers to bomb the main runways at Stanley it was more of a show of arms than an actual strategic bombing mission, it was to show "those damn Argies we can hit them and they can't stop us". It just took a lot of fuel and aircraft to get there, with each aircraft buddying up to refuel other planes before leaving the flight and returning home.
If I remember only 1 or 2 actual aircraft made it to the target they did minimal damage to the airfield but it did knock it out of action and deter the Argies from making more use of it in the coming conflict.

Then you could also think it was the RAF grasping at straws to be seen to be relevant in a war they were largely left out of.

Black Buck (Wave 3 Slot 2) Diorama 5 months 3 weeks ago #10

• Flying_Kiwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi guys, thanks for watching.

G1 has his homelands history down, there were 6 Black buck raids, this first being arguably the most successful, some were turned back due to the not quite solved refueling problems. The whole thing was quite complicated and allowed for very little error and nearly ended in disaster. if one of the long range refueling brackets failed you would loose at least one aircraft and possibly the crew, maybe even the returning bomber. some say it was fool hardy for the result.

The RAF was a bit pissed having its strike arm sitting around not doing a lot (although they did operate Harriers on"Sids Strip" out of Port San Carlos) the Tornado was too new to even consider so they literally saved a bunch of Vulcans from the scrappers (most parts came from scrapped Vulcans, all the operational ships having been recipients of multi equipment transplants)

I would say the first raid did stop fast Jets and Heavy Lift aircraft by compromising the integrity of the tarmac which would be repaired many times in the conflict by the Argies. The runway was pretty small, only 3100 ft, but you could operate Skyhawks from it and recover Mirages - fully loaded the Mirage III needed 3900ft to take off but only 2400ft to land. A fully dirty Skyhawk Can take off at 2600ft unassisted (presumably with a decent head wind)
The Arigies actually got a loaded Aerolineas Argentinas Being 707 to land on the Stanley runway!! that would have been a butt clenching take off.... the raid stopped things like that happening again. although through the conflict Argentinian c130's landed there nearly every day however they were always at the absolute edge of their endurance with useful payload.

Just a note: this dio is about the RAF but you have to say the Argie pilots had enormous cajones, flying Skyhawks so low to the sea that the spray spoiled all forward vision and you had to fly with you head on the side of the canopy, flying a C130 into a strip with patrolling Sea Harriers everyday, one would not escape and was shot down.

Anyway history over,... that Dash 10 pod "or more correctly" the AN/ALQ-101, So when the Vulcans were built i think they may have had two hard points built into the wing, there was at least one, this I believe was to carry two Blue Steel missiles? anyway there were never used, so even the Vulcan fitters had to go back tot the plans to figure out where they were. This hard point and ECM pod were needed as the Vulcan had very little on board ECM measures, most of which were to defeat Soviet style search radars, going up against Swiss German and French...even English search radars the AEO's needed help, so they nicked a bunch of AN/ALQ-101's off the Buccaneers.

ECM pods aren't very effective in a full bomb bay hence the need for the external hard points. They were never used again after this (the Vulcans were scrapped anyway) so very little photographic evidence remains although oddly the Airfix Vulcan kit does come with two hard points, none of which the locations are shown on the instructions...except for ...ho ho what are those faint dimples...

So this is it - sorry picture of a picture - the Dash 10 being worked on at Wideawake, this photo is very very very misleading and has, from the forums ive read, tripped modellers up in the past. If you don't look closely it looks like the Dash-10 is on an ENORMOUS pylon, and not sitting on a trolley, that Pylon is actually the main gear door in the back ground, the real pylon sneaks into the frame just above the fitter.

So where is the hard point??? i don't have Vickers plans, can't find them on the net, the airfix..."suggestion" is too far aft for the photos i've seen... the pod is proud of the leading edge of the wing,......so forensically i have taken the 3 photo's i have of the pylon, measured the wing in the photograph, measured the pylon placement , enlarged those measurements to 1:72 cross referenced them which each other photo and ....

nah i guessed it ... a bit to the left of the main gear door,.... measuring ...as if..

Attachments:

Black Buck (Wave 3 Slot 2) Diorama 5 months 3 weeks ago #11

• Terry
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 227
Awesome project FK. I built the Airfix Vulcan as a nipper and fondly remember it for dwarfing everything else! Can't even recall the fit or the gaps... which were likely there like gaping chasms but it's such a cool looking aircraft, what's not to like?

Black Buck (Wave 3 Slot 2) Diorama 5 months 3 weeks ago #12

• yak
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 231
This will look great when done. Watching on.

Rob

Currently hacking away at:
1/48 Hobby World TA-4
1/48 Tamiya Mosquito
1/35 Asuka Firefly VC "on hold"

Black Buck (Wave 3 Slot 2) Diorama 5 months 3 weeks ago #13

• Flying_Kiwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Terry wrote: Awesome project FK. I built the Airfix Vulcan as a nipper and fondly remember it for dwarfing everything else! Can't even recall the fit or the gaps... which were likely there like gaping chasms but it's such a cool looking aircraft, what's not to like?

You know when I made these kits as a kid I cannot remember the gaps being as bad!!! I mean holy cow the plastic barely touched.

Mind you in those days I thought putty was the stuff you put in windows. Obviously the kits were of better quality ;-)

Black Buck (Wave 3 Slot 2) Diorama 5 months 3 weeks ago #14

• Mumbles
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 19

Flying_Kiwi wrote: Anyway history over,... that Dash 10 pod "or more correctly" the AN/ALQ-101, So when the Vulcans were built i think they may have had two hard points built into the wing, there was at least one, this I believe was to carry two Blue Steel missiles?

GAM-67 Skybolt air-launched ballistic missile rather than Blue Steel. Plan was for the Vulcan to mount 2 and the B-52 to mount 4 before the programme was cancelled.

http://www.avrovulcan.org.uk/bae/537_woodford_2.htm

I built one of these in the 90's. It was started and mostly painted as XM607 before being repainted and finished as the Blue Steel option. I don't remember the fit being quite so bad as yours, although the moulds were 20 years younger when mine was produced :)

Last Edit: by Mumbles.

Black Buck (Wave 3 Slot 2) Diorama 5 months 3 weeks ago #15

• Flying_Kiwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Mumbles Thank you!!! it looks like i have the hardpoints dead on!! man could not find any pics of 607 with them, didn't think to look for the prototypes/tests of the Skybolt. Nice job sir!

As for the gaps, yes it could be the molds getting old,...or it could just be my gibbon like construction skills, i did manage to crack the canopy (not the viewable part) by getting over zealous with the clamps when it didn't sit flush...

Black Buck (Wave 3 Slot 2) Diorama 5 months 3 weeks ago #16

• Flying_Kiwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
So some more progress, Canopy on made a bit of a mess but sanded that back, i hit the seams with some AK Primer and yep could still see it so out with the putty again.

Interestingly i went to MCH yesterday to see if they had some paint,..oddly they did,... and i saw a completed Vulcan in the display case. Now i'm not knocking this modeller as the build is VERY tidy and clean really good however he/she had the same problem with the seams, in the right light you can still see them....

Its also amusing to see this must be from the same older batch of moldings as the Elevons stick out on this Vulcan like mine, but its only on the starboard wing...the port wing is flush.

If this is your build you did a cracking job, bit clean for me (and possibly the wrong upper grey) but man, well modelled.

So,... while trying to fix the seam i have destroyed alot of the raised detail,... so much so the a rescribe is really the only option and i HATE rescribing,... i'm really crap at it...

But using the raised lines as my guide i spent 3 hours last night rescribing the top half... made some errors, and the raised detail sometimes got in the way but after a sand down the scribbing looks ok....

Rescribe prior to sanding....

Rescribe and sanding complete...noite the TOTAL f-up on the "neck" of the vulcan,... looked like bloody train tracks hence the putty.

Attachments:

Black Buck (Wave 3 Slot 2) Diorama 5 months 2 weeks ago #17

• Flying_Kiwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi, bit more progress, finally got a seam i was OK with (just OK) looks very much like the one in the MCH shop so i have great sympathies

Did the panel lines fixed a few more scribe accidents and the painted the under side going off the color chart from Freightdog models which seems to be the correct Greys!. these decals and the refueling probe (still enroute) are the only aftermarket extra's.

Thin king of keeping the weathering light on this one, all the picture s i have seen of these birds at the time were pretty clean

Attachments:

Black Buck (Wave 3 Slot 2) Diorama 5 months 2 weeks ago #18

• frawlepa
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Apologies for the tardy reply.
Absolutely inspiring work! Hopefully an update soon?

Regards

Paul

Black Buck (Wave 3 Slot 2) Diorama 5 months 2 weeks ago #19

• Flying_Kiwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Bit-o-progress over the weekend ending in a bit of a disaster.

Got the top coat on and used a soft pencil to draw out the camo pattern from the decal sheet, the panel lines are great help for the right position.
This was very time consuming.

And the green on.....

I'd forgotten to put the plugs in for the clear rods that will prop the model up on the base. I like doing this as you can slide the model on and off so its not fixed to the base should you need to do some maintenance.

After a bit of clean up camo is done....

Now the disaster, i had masked up the tail pies and was spraying the Alclad when i over tipped the airbrush while trying to get an angle on the pipe, a little bit of Alclad
spilled out luckily - so i thought - it was all masked. but some leaked under the tape and will require a fair amount of touch ups.... bugger.... the Aluminium looks great though.
Attachments:

Black Buck (Wave 3 Slot 2) Diorama 5 months 2 weeks ago #20

• Bishop
  • Thank you received: 1581
Oh that looks great. You guys with these plane camouflages amaze me!! These things start out looking like a piece of poo and then suddenly this!

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Last Edit: by Bishop.

Black Buck (Wave 3 Slot 2) Diorama 5 months 2 weeks ago #21

• Maarten
  • Thank you received: 639
Attachments:

'' I could sense things were about to kick off, so I got out of there !''

Black Buck (Wave 3 Slot 2) Diorama 5 months 1 week ago #22

• Tiger
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 937
Looking good there FK, nice cammo.

Black Buck (Wave 3 Slot 2) Diorama 5 months 1 week ago #23

• Flying_Kiwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Cheers for the comment guys!

So wash #1 picked out some detail, will probably put a few more on ending with a light grime wash, the wash has however picked out some rough areas in the paint, so i can either ignore this or sand it back and re-do, there are 3 areas that stick out,... whop am i kidding its gonna drive me made so...sanding this weekend, the metal refueling hasn't turned up yet, and i don't want to decal before this is fit (possibly putty sanding and painting needed)

anyway this is it, intakes done, engines done, TFR pimple done....

Attachments:

Black Buck (Wave 3 Slot 2) Diorama 5 months 1 week ago #24

• PhantomPhreakII
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

Black Buck (Wave 3 Slot 2) Diorama 5 months 1 week ago #25

• Flying_Kiwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
So can't call this done yet but got most of the decals on.... made a bit off a stuff up but only cos both decal instructions sheets said so... i put all the lift decals (you know the fiddly hook decals) on the flying surfaces of the Vulcan, now that's just stupid, you don't lift an aircraft by the ailerons or flaps! i think i was a bit monged out this weekend following the food show (sampling haze) i can't be bothered picking them off with tape and re doing (i have spares) .

But the probe arrived and looks good! miles better than the plastic.

I sanded back the bits that were rough..... found a few by playing a torch over it....

and that's it decals on, probe on... looking ok,... still need to take the tape of the canopy and clean up and i'm still awaiting the Dash10 (ALQ101) pod, when thats on its done!.....and i'll take some out door pics.

Right time to start the victor ....now this i'm really looking forward too...

Attachments:

Black Buck (Wave 3 Slot 2) Diorama 5 months 1 week ago #26

• Flying_Kiwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
One of the really cool thing about the Vulcan it can be it’s own stand when drying.

Attachments:

Black Buck (Wave 3 Slot 2) Diorama 5 months 1 week ago #27

• Flying_Kiwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
So this arrived today... well you cant do a Victor and a Vulcan with out a Valiant! all the V bombers..... gawd does this mean i need the nimrod now???

Attachments:

Black Buck (Wave 3 Slot 2) Diorama 5 months 6 days ago #28

• Flying_Kiwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
So calling this done until the ALQ-101 pod arrives, Canopy masks off, and aerials on.

On with the Victor!

Attachments:

Black Buck (Wave 3 Slot 2) Diorama 5 months 6 days ago #29

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • No time to spare..too busy!!!
  • Thank you received: 496

Dave
Attachments:

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.

Black Buck (Wave 3 Slot 2) Diorama 5 months 6 days ago #30

• Mumbles
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 19

Flying_Kiwi wrote: So calling this done until the ALQ-101 pod arrives, Canopy masks off, and aerials on.

On with the Victor!

Lovely work :) I used the same standing it on the tail trick on mine.

Possibly terrible question at this point, but does the B.2 Victor boxing include the K.2 parts? They are releasing a K.2 but it isn't out yet. For the really keen Matchbox included three lengths of thin plastic rod and three drogues with their K.2 so you could build it in flight and ready to tank :)

It's interesting that the Freightdog instructions specify a satin finish for the Vulcan. I think that was how they looked straight out of the paintshop but every pic I'v seen growing up of the Black Buck Vulcans it looks like the finish has weathered to flat (and patchy!).

Also I've dusted off my Airfix Vulcan for comparison. It isn't aging all that well - dust and cracking glaze over too many layers of paint have taken their toll over the last twenty years. Here's a shot showing the wing seams and elevons to compare with the others you've seen - I think my seam work has improved a bit since the late 90's when I did this :) . This kit was purchased originally in 1988, so may be from the original production run.

Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary