TOPIC: Cutting micro tube?

Cutting micro tube? 1 week 3 days ago #1

• KitModellerNZ
  • KitModellerNZ's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 194
Hi guys,

As mentioned in my Avenger build, I need to cut about 40 sections of 0.9mm OD hollow brass pipe. Each piece will be approx 1mm long. Is there an easier way to do this, rather than rolling the tube underneath a scalpel blade?

The tube cutters available through hardware stores all seem to have a minimum 3mm diameter. I know that if I use cutters it will crush the end of the pipe.

I'm thinking that making some type of jig will at least help to get all of the pieces the same length.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by KitModellerNZ.

Cutting micro tube? 1 week 3 days ago #2

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 795
I've got one from a model railway stand while at Taupo model show, I think it was the model train depot. It cuts all sizes up to about 10mm
The following user(s) said Thank You: KitModellerNZ

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
RAF Liberator Squadrons

Cutting micro tube? 1 week 3 days ago #3

• Terry
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 186
You could try this:
Drill some 1mm thick plastic card with forty 0.9mm holes perpendicular to the surface in a close cluster so you can sand all your brass ends as a group. File the end of your 0.9mm brass tube perpendicular/flat and then cut it slightly longer than 1mm long with a jewellers saw if you have one. Push the filed neat end into the plastic card so it is flush on the bottom face of the plastic. Your raw cut edge will be sticking out on the top face. Repeat the process 39 times until you have a bunch of ragged ends all sticking out of your plastic card. Then with your flush face of card and tubes sitting on a nice flat surface get some suitable grades of sanding stick and file the ragged ends down until flush with the plastic card. Poke them out of the card and hey presto 40 identical length tubes!

I also use plastic sheet to square up ends of pipe if I need a precise perpendicular end but on a pipe as small as 0.9mm doing it by eye usually works. Do an experimental pass on one tube. If the hole holding the tube is slightly too large in diameter they might rock around a bit and not behave themselves, so keep the pipe in the hole snugg.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Maarten, KitModellerNZ

Last Edit: by Terry.

Cutting micro tube? 1 week 3 days ago #4

• KitModellerNZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks guys. I really like your idea Terry, unfortunately don't have a jeweller's saw.

I will start cutting the tube using the scalpel method and see how I go.

Might be rocking in the corner of the room before the end of the night:silly:

Cutting micro tube? 1 week 3 days ago #5

• KitModellerNZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Good news is there are only 28 pieces of tube required. Bad news is cutting them all with a scalpel blade is too tedious and likely to drive me up the wall. I'm thinking I might make a basic jig and cut them with my motor tool.

• Page:
Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary