Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me

TOPIC: What we're building...

What we're building... 9 months 5 days ago #241

• F1xena
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • If only I could build kits at the pace I buy kits!
  • Thank you received: 98
Thanks Craig....the gold isn’t great, and I’ll have to do some experimenting with clear to see if it will make it better or worse. It’s a gold/silver mixture (Mr Color), and as it dried they seemed to separate out a bit. It’s also very susceptible to fingerprints and decal solvent staining:unsure:
Clear will either hide a multitude or sins, or ruin it.....so I’ve got a paint mule ready to go!
I’ve picked up several of those paint stations over the years....small and large, from a couple of different makers. That one came in a set of four. They are dirt cheap in Japan and for something so simple, they work really well.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What we're building... 8 months 1 week ago #242

• F1xena
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Bit of an update, seeing as I've had a bit of time at the bench lately!
As of this afternoon, the three Jordans are almost ready to have their wheels fitted.
Progress hasn't been without its issues, but I must say, building three very similar kits does show how repetition makes a task easier!
Case in point being the fixing of the suspension. It involves fitting at least 6 photoetch arms into their respective mounting holes simultaneously, preferably without scratching the paintwork too much. By the time I got to the last car, it was almost easy!
I'm just waiting for everything to set-up now, before using two-part epoxy to attach the wheels. I've used CA and white glue for everything else, but the wheels need something strong, but with a bit of fiddle-time so I can get the alignment and ride height set properly.
So, here is where they currently sit.

The gold car is from the no tobacco German GP, the middle one is the Argentinian GP, with elongated air box, which will get an auxiliary wing added, and the final one, Brundle's "big crash" car from the first Aussie GP in Melbourne.

Mirrors were especially fiddly, with a tiny sponsor decal, finely drilled holes for pe arms, and faces represented by little bits of Mylar paper (courtesy of Spotlight!) I also bought some "chrome" sequins for the same task, but the paper was easier to cut to size, and was thinner.

Attachments:

What we're building... 8 months 1 week ago #243

• Stinker
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
They're impressive. I assumed from the 1st photo that they were 1/20 or 1/24 scale, until I saw the mirrors, so I went back in the thread and to see that they're 1/43. Wow well done, all those decals must be fiddly.

What we're building... 8 months 1 week ago #244

• F1xena
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Oh yeah, tiny decals like on the mirrors were “fun”. Being white, they were almost invisible on the decal sheet. The upside is all the Tameo decals are by Cartograf, so they work well, and also Tameo include 2 copies of the decals, so you can mess up and have a second chance! I’ve been thankful for that policy more than a couple of times!.....and unlike a lot of makers, the dreaded tobacco decals are included (in a sealed black polythene bag)

What we're building... 8 months 1 week ago #245

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
  • Thank you received: 591
Crazy nice work on those F1 cars. I dont think I could do that lol

Here is what is sitting on my bench at the moment

Tamiya 1/35 Kubelwagen. Hoping to wrap up construction tonight
Attachments:

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

What we're building... 8 months 1 week ago #246

• Grant
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 419

Andrew wrote:
Tamiya 1/35 Kubelwagen. Hoping to wrap up construction tonight

Almost bought that kit yesterday. Looks like a quick bit of fun?

What we're building... 8 months 1 week ago #247

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
  • Thank you received: 591
It is Grant, could smash out construction in a day if you made a determined effort.

There are several aftermarket sets to dress it up too

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

What we're building... 8 months 6 days ago #248

• IAN
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 423
Among a couple of wee 1:72 projects, there's a P-40 wandering around my bench just now - RNZAF colours for this one.

Ian.
Attachments:

What we're building... 8 months 2 days ago #249

• IAN
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Pit for my RNZAF Kittyhawk IV, chucked the dreadful kit seat and replaced it with an Ultracast one that I've had for years.

Ian.
Attachments:

What we're building... 7 months 4 weeks ago #250

• IAN
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Kittyhawk primed:

Ian.
Attachments:

What we're building... 7 months 3 weeks ago #251

• IAN
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Pre-shaded and first paint - all Tamiya acrylics mixed by the ol' Mk.I eyeball method !!

Ian.

What we're building... 7 months 3 weeks ago #252

• IAN
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Kittyhawk progress on Friday and this morning:

Would have thought that a RNZAF subject would have been got more (any) comments... Ahhh well

Ian.

What we're building... 7 months 3 weeks ago #253

• shaunfletcher
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 248
Sorry, the 'end of a big thread' thing is a bit confusing to some of us old folks!

Love the tone of the green and the interior is very neat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: IAN

What we're building... 7 months 3 weeks ago #254

• Gary
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 880
I'm with Shaun, it does look rather nice mate, the white looks very intense compared to the OD but I assume you'll tone it down?
Yeah I have agree with you there to Ian, nothing more soul destroying that pouring your heart out on a post, with all the photos etc only to have it ignored and buried under a tonne of shiny new things. It's one of the reasons I don't post in combined threads, I build far more than I post so if my work is worth posting (in my own opinion) it's worth posting on it's separately.
I think we are also guilty of being a bit shallow at times, it's easy to say oooh that's nice but in reality what you really want to say is shit my one armed, blind child could do better than that, I mean look at the glue all over that.
Hey I'm not saying we should start insulting people or stop encouraging them but I do feel we could be a bit more constructive with our criticism. I'm always looking to improve my modelling and I welcome constructive criticism of the build, not necessarily the subject, what I mean by that is feel free to say hey why don't you try this method next time it worked well for me, I don't mean "That's the wrong shade of Olive Drab for November 12th 1943" on a nicely completed aircraft etc as it's too late by then to do anything about it and I end up just wanting to smash it.
These are just my personal feelings, not new rules to be adopted, I'd be keen to see other people's views and feelings maybe someone could/should post a new thread?

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
RAF Liberator Squadrons

What we're building... 7 months 3 weeks ago #255

• IAN
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
I'll take you up on that matey... I'll start a thread for this in the usual forum, and see how it goes.
But like you, I only post 50% of what I build here, for different reasons. I'd love to get some really 'meaty' feedback especially on stuff that's a little outside my comfort zone - I think we're all very conscious nowadays of how big an impact a negative or un-constructive comment can have. So speaking ONLY for m'self - go ahead folks, fire away if you think I've got it wrong, let's have the discussion.

I'm not precious or delicate, but I am from Liverpool :evil:

Ian.

What we're building... 7 months 3 weeks ago #256

• shaunfletcher
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 248
Yeah Ill say the same.. tell me when I do something wrong or even crap, I'm nearly 50 and from Sheffield, I can take it!

What we're building... 7 months 3 weeks ago #257

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
  • Thank you received: 418
Nothing wrong with constructive criticism (as long as we don't end up like the SMCG on facebook!). While I have been guilty in the past of the old "that's the wrong colour" at a point where it's too late to fix (sorry G1!), I have learnt to bite my tongue now unless it is at a point where it can be fixed (and even then I still think long and hard before posting now). Quite often I miss a few posts and come in at a point too late to do anything (like today, I noticed something on someone's build and I could point out what has been done wrong but it would be so much work to fix at this point, the same problem has frustrated me before on the exact same kit cause I can't figure out how to do it cleanly!). But nothing wrong with a next time try this or to get a different effect give this a go.

In Soviet Russia, Iron Curtain GB builds you!

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....

What we're building... 7 months 3 weeks ago #258

• yak
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 232
I've worked with colour/paint for over 20 years and we also have a colour spectrometer that measures light refraction off a painted surface to detected what pigments the colour is made up of and the amount in it and that thing is only ever 30-40% sure of itself so i find it amazing that some people think that they can say with certainty that something is the wrong shade of green etc when usually there are only black and white photos for reference :huh:
For me it's close enough is good enough i just want a close representation.

Rob

Currently hacking away at:
1/48 Hobby World TA-4
1/48 Tamiya Mosquito
1/35 Asuka Firefly VC "on hold"

What we're building... 7 months 2 weeks ago #259

• F1xena
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I'm with you on that one! Those 3 Jordans I'm building all have a self-mixed body colour. The gold one has a gold+sliver mix, and the yellow/tan ones have two Mr Color tones that I chose through a process of experimentation. The kits came with a colour chip to aid paint mixing, but in the end an exact match was almost impossible....especially as the tone of the mixed paints changed as they dried (one was gloss and the other semi-gloss) A close representation was what I wanted and in the end, I'm happy with the result.
As for critique, I think if it's asked for, then go for it. Personally, I'd rather know what is wrong so I can improve next time. But if it's not asked for, if you have to say something, then do it as a "suggestion" or comment as opposed to a full-on criticism.

What we're building... 7 months 2 weeks ago #260

• Tiger
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 938
I don't comment a lot at all, just oh that's nice or oh awesome work. meh it is what it is.
Personally I don't think I know a lot about historical accuracy, colours, wrong gun, this is to weathered or scratched but to appreciate a well built kit and respect peoples views and interpretations.

What we're building... 3 months 1 week ago #261

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
Thought I'd dig up an old thread, while I'm awaiting Craig's return from the US to get a bit for my harrier, I decided to continue with my Bandai AT-AT. This is about 2 weeks of an hour a day, 5 days a week work. Just working on the last 2 legs, should be done by end of this week ready for priming.
Attachments:

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....

What we're building... 3 months 1 week ago #262

• Bishop
  • Thank you received: 1599
Time to finally paint the firewalls so I can get the engine bays in the Tigers.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

What we're building... 3 months 1 week ago #263

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
Finished construction, bar the 2 smaller guns and a couple of inserts on the legs (there are several options so once I settle on leg postions I will glue it all together).
Will sus out painting it sometime, possibly to coincide with some other kit painting.

Attachments:

What we're building... 1 month 4 weeks ago #264

• Hadley
  • Hadley's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 119
2 of the 3 I have planned underway

Attachments:

In the build:
2x Possum Bourne Subaru rally cars
On hold:
1/48 KA50 Hokum
1/72 Bell 412
Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary